Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post

This is gonna be great!
    Release day 5th of August.
    It feels really surreal seeing this outside the comic.

All respect to the actors, I'm sure they'll be great, but it feels weird to have Jenna Coleman as a Constantine, non-pale faced Death, and Lucien both race and gender-flipped.

But ending on the Corinthian and Matthew is pretty nice .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

All respect to the actors, I'm sure they'll be great, but it feels weird to have Jenna Coleman as a Constantine, non-pale faced Death, and Lucien both race and gender-flipped.

The way I see it is similarly to the way Iman Villani (the actress who plays Ms. Marvel in the upcoming show) sees the the mainline Marvel 616 universe and the MCU:

Similar, but a decidedly different universe.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I'm both excited and absolutely terrified to see "24 Hours" put to screen. One of the most harrowing and impactful stories I've ever read in comic form.
    I was just thinking that yesterday. I'll be impressed if they can make it even a quarter as terrifying as the comic.

I'm kind of with you on the gender and race swapping because Death and Lucien have such a specific look - and it looks like most of the other characters, especially the Endless themselves, are pretty comic accurate. I'm not familiar enough with Coleman as far as Constantine goes to say either way, but Johanna is a very different character to John, albeit with some obvious familial similarities, so that works for me. I'm not so interested in just some female cover version of Matt Ryan here. Honestly, though, if this did not have the direct involvement of Neil Gaiman himself I would be more worried as it might just have felt like stunt casting otherwise, but if it works for Neil, I'm sure it will work for me.

Besides, the cast is simply really good all around, even if some of the actual casting decisions are slightly strange.

Ultimately, though, the big question as far as the cast goes is Dream himself. I'm familiar with the work of the vast, vast majority of the cast but though I've seen some of the things he has been in, I can't say that I'm familiar with him. He's got the look down and here's hoping he has the rest down to. Especially because Morpheus is actually a fairly complicated character and quite a lot of subtlety is needed to do him justice, while also requiring some real screen presence at the same time.

I'm still very nervous about the show doing justice to what is, for my money, the greatest comic book series of all time, but that short teaser does at least give me hope that they may actually get away with it.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    The way I see it is similarly to the way Iman Villani (the actress who plays Ms. Marvel in the upcoming show) sees the the mainline Marvel 616 universe and the MCU:

Similar, but a decidedly different universe.
    I get it, but I guess it also begs the question of what people expect from adaptions. The MCU is like, half adaption half full-on Elseworlds at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm kind of with you on the gender and race swapping because Death and Lucien have such a specific look - and it looks like most of the other characters, especially the Endless themselves, are pretty comic accurate. I'm not familiar enough with Coleman as far as Constantine goes to say either way, but Johanna is a very different character to John, albeit with some obvious familial similarities, so that works for me. I'm not so interested in just some female cover version of Matt Ryan here. Honestly, though, if this did not have the direct involvement of Neil Gaiman himself I would be more worried as it might just have felt like stunt casting otherwise, but if it works for Neil, I'm sure it will work for me.

Besides, the cast is simply really good all around, even if some of the actual casting decisions are slightly strange.

Ultimately, though, the big question as far as the cast goes is Dream himself. I'm familiar with the work of the vast, vast majority of the cast but though I've seen some of the things he has been in, I can't say that I'm familiar with him. He's got the look down and here's hoping he has the rest down to. Especially because Morpheus is actually a fairly complicated character and quite a lot of subtlety is needed to do him justice, while also requiring some real screen presence at the same time.

I'm still very nervous about the show doing justice to what is, for my money, the greatest comic book series of all time, but that short teaser does at least give me hope that they may actually get away with it.
    I think she's playing the period Johanna and a modern day version (which is supposed to be John himself but they couldn't really use him) which is kind of weird, but okay. I always thought it was interesting how Constantine's family had this well-bred and spirited lady involved in Supernatural hijinks only to end up with...him. But it doesn't seem like we're getting that here.

The Endless feel a little too human and a little less ethereal to me but there was only so much you could do there compared to the comic.

Astonishing Member

I get it, but I guess it also begs the question of what people expect from adaptions. The MCU is like, half adaption half full-on Elseworlds at this point.
    Which is the way I feel most adaptations have been since the beginning. I mean, even the most revered superhero movies like the original Superman, Raimi's Spider-Man, and Batman Begins made considerable changes.

Once upon a time I thought I wanted straight up adaptations. But as much as I enjoyed Sin City, I realized that knowing what was going to happen beat for beat was kind of a let down for me.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Which is the way I feel most adaptations have been since the beginning. I mean, even the most revered superhero movies like the original Superman, Raimi's Spider-Man, and Batman Begins made considerable changes.

Once upon a time I thought I wanted straight up adaptations. But as much as I enjoyed Sin City, I realized that knowing what was going to happen beat for beat was kind of a let down for me.
    Well, it works for anime and straight book adaptions...

Astonishing Member

Well, it works for anime and straight book adaptions...
    I generally like it when they straight up adapt the DCAU movies as well. For whatever reason, that's the only way I really like beat-for-beat adaptations. Live action just feels like a completely different animal. As far as book adaptations, I mean, Jurassic Park the book is also pretty different than the movie. As are my favorite adaptations, Nick Hornby's High Fidelity (both the series and the movie) and About a Boy (just the movie), all three of which he had a huge hand in.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post

This is gonna be great!
    Release day 5th of August.
    Excited for this! I think it looks really good ... surprising, because I wasn't initially thrilled at the idea of the concept being translated from comics. It really is such an ... unearthly vibe to the story and the characters, ultimately. So yah, tho it took me a second with the race/gender swapped actors, I'm cool with it. From the brief bit I saw, it looks like they have the essence of the characters, and ultimately I never thought the images we saw of the Endless in the comics were what they "really" look like, anyway. They said over and over that people/creatures saw the Endless by their own interpretation. I kind of took that to mean, we saw them as we did in the comics, because that's how the story was being translated for us, in that medium ... so again, works for me, if they look somewhat different, in another medium.

Like, how do you really do Desire justice, anyway? Without a CGI character? I doubt any human actor can truly do that character justice ... will be interesting to see them try, tho.

Delight? Really, harder to imagine Desire and Delight than any of the others ... okay, two minutes of research, will be interesting to see how Desire goes. Despair looks spot on! I suppose the rest of the Endless don't show up until later?

Anyway, should be interesting! Looking forward to it!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Getting more and more psyched for this series.

David Buckley hired to compose the music.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...210030476.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm kind of with you on the gender and race swapping because Death and Lucien have such a specific look - and it looks like most of the other characters, especially the Endless themselves, are pretty comic accurate.
    Same here, especially with Death. So much of that character's initial appeal was her iconic look, including the (pun intended) deathly pallor, which contrasted with her sunny demeanor. I'll certainly give it a chance but it strikes me as an odd creative choice with this particular character.

Astonishing Member

I fear they will botch it, like other great comic stories. I mean, Preacher failed, Y-The Last Man failed, Jupiters Legacy failed...

Please, not Sandman.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

If the success of this series rests on the look of the characters, then it will fail anyway.

Death's Siouxsie look was awesome for the 80's, but if the series is set in the present time it makes sense that she would have changed it. The character is millions of years old.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    I fear they will botch it, like other great comic stories. I mean, Preacher failed, Y-The Last Man failed, Jupiters Legacy failed...

Please, not Sandman.
    Gaiman is pretty closely involved with this production, so if it fails it will at least be his failure and not somebody's hacky attempt at fanfic.