Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Retired

Back in the day, I read all the SANDMAN comics and the one shot books after that. I still have warm memories of those comics; even though I've gone off Neil Gaiman in recent years.

I was divided about whether to watch the SANDMAN series. Actually, knowing that Jenna Coleman was in it, piqued my interest. I've enjoyed her in both DOCTOR WHO and VICTORIA.

The gender flipping and ethnicity changes don't bug me, but I have certain quibbles, which can be summed up as Too British, Too Pretty, Too Linear, Too Much Too Soon.

Too British: Despite Neil Gaiman being the writer, I never thought the comics were so fixed in a British world view. I took Dream to be a global idea. And a lot of the characters that were used had already appeared in other comics edited by Joe Orlando and created by a lot of North American talent. I never read Lucien, Cain or Abel as having British accents.

In the comics, John Dee, a.k.a. Dr. Destiny, was a long established super-villain who fought the Justice League of America. Even in this series, John Dee is born and raised in the U.S.--yet he talks with a British accent.

And characters speak with a generalized English accent. There's not even any Welsh, Scottish or Irish accents. This all makes the world of the Sandman seem contained to a parochial England.

Too Pretty: Tom Sturridge is just too pretty for Morpheus. There are things they could have done with lighting and make-up to make him less typically handsome. When he's naked, it's obvious he's been working out. But Dream shouldn't look fit. In the comics he's rather gaunt and sickly looking.

In the book, there were a variety of artistic takes and the world often had a messy unmade bed appearance. Here there really isn't that much variation. It's all good T.V. graphics--which gives everything a sameness.

Too Linear: Knowing a lot of what was going to happen, it's hard for me to judge how a novice would see this series, but I doubt that the first episode would have really grabbed a new viewer.

I think it's better to start in media res with a really shocking episode and giving explanations later. Episode 3 or 5 could have pulled in viewers first and left them guessing. Instead, the series proceeds in a straight line, explaining step by step this happened and then this happened.

Too Much Too Soon: It worries me that they felt the need to dump two story arcs into the first season. I would have preferred it had just been the first six episodes--and maybe stretch those out over eight episodes. They seem to think they need to get through as much material as possible before Netflix pulls the plug.

"A Game of You" was my favourite story arc from the comics and I'm worried that, if they get to do it, it won't be given the full treatment it deserves.

What made SANDMAN a great comic was the wealth of stories. It was more like an anthology of tales, with the Sandman simply providing the overarching framework in which all these varied stories could exist.

edit: Oh yes one other thing. The pronunciation of names. Constantine as Constan-Tighn instead of Constan-Teen--I can live with that. But Lyta pronounced like Lighter!? It bugged me every single time someone said her name--I just can't accept that.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 08-09-2022 at 04:28 PM.

I had no Sandman experience prior to this show and I really, really enjoyed it. I may have to check out the source material.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    I had no Sandman experience prior to this show and I really, really enjoyed it. I may have to check out the source material.
    You should 100 percent. I hadn't even heard of the character until a few years ago and friends were recommending it. Once I started reading the books, I ended up devouring them all and loving it. Hope you get the same experience.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

After watching the full season, my verdict on The Sandman:

Speaking as someone who was been a fan of the comics almost from the beginning, I think this first season was good. Not great. GOOD. Some changes from the source material made sense, but others felt...random. Changes for change's sake.

The visual effects, production design and cinematography were outstanding. But the pacing, plot and character development at some points felt rushed, especially in the Doll's House portion of the season. Maybe they needed more episodes and longer runtimes.

Most of the cast was good, especially Tom Sturridge, Boyd Holbrook and Gwendoline Christie, but there was some miscastings. I love Jenna Coleman, but she was not playing Constantine. She was basically reprising her Clara Oswald role. Kirby Howell-Baptiste's acting as Death was...fine. But it's obvious she was cast only for "diversity". She doesn't have the liveliness and sweetness that I associate with the character. I have no doubt that Kat Dennings would have done in live action the same great job she did with the role in the audio dramas.

In short, this is a good show with some space for improvement. I hope the producers work the kinks out in the next season.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Saying Kirby was only cast because she's black is pretty offensive. You may not like her performance, and that's ok because it's a subjective opinion, but saying she only got it for "diversity reasons" completely ignored her credentials as an actress. If a white woman was cast and played the character the exact same way, would you claim she was only hired because she was white? No. You'd likely never even mention race and just talk about the performance. You should do that for black actors, as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Saying Kirby was only cast because she's black is pretty offensive. You may not like her performance, and that's ok because it's a subjective opinion, but saying she only got it for "diversity reasons" completely ignored her credentials as an actress. If a white woman was cast and played the character the exact same way, would you claim she was only hired because she was white? No. You'd likely never even mention race and just talk about the performance. You should do that for black actors, as well.
    A million times this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    QFT. Saved me the trouble.

Retired

I can imagine that the producers had a lot of work getting clearance for which characters they could use and which ones they couldn't

Ideally, if they could have had access to all the properties that would be great, but I imagine a lot are tied up in licensing deals. There's already a John Constantine--it would have been wonderful to have Matt Ryan appear on this show, but that was likely not possible. I think having a Johanna Constantine allows them the trademark for that character free and clear. And John Constantine is gradually getting further away from the era in which he made the best sense. I'd rather think the Constantine in THE SANDMAN is the latest incarnation of the character and there was a previous John Constantine like the one that existed in the 1980s. The problem with this is they've given Coleman's Constantine some of John's back story.

I think it would have been hard on the audience if the Constantine from 1789 and the Constantine from 2022 had been played by two different actors. Having the same actor play both gets the point across more clearly. And Coleman has played characters from all strata of society.

We do see representations of super-heroes and super-villains in Jed's dream world--so at least they got permission to use those images. Yet Hippolyta Trevor Hall is not known to have been the Fury and the daughter of Wonder Woman or the Fury; Hector Hall is not known to have been the Silver Scarab and the third Sandman (in publishing history) or to have Hawkman and Hawkwoman as his parents.

In fact, we don't see any of the Sandmen that were in the comics prior to the Morpheus character--i.e., Wesley Dodds, Garrett Sanford, Hector Hall.

We also now have an alternate version of Lucifer Morningstar, to add to the version in the CONSTANTINE movie (Peter Stomare) and the one in the T.V. show, LUCIFER (Tom Ellis).

I would have liked to see Etrigan, the Demon, make an appearance--but I imagine they couldn't use him for licensing reasons.

Fantastic Member

I watched the show without any knowledge about the source, and I loved it. I binge watched all ten episodes, because I just couldn't stop. It was mesmerizing. Really hope to see more seasons.

The show impressed me so much what I borrowed books from a friend to read. I really like how the show turned out to be almost issue by issue adaptation with some lines being directly from the books. I only read first 4 or 5 issues so far, and I should say what the show left more impact on me than books. Most likely because the author was heavily involved in adaptation and found ways to make his story even better:

1) In the first episode the show managed to express the passing of time much better, maybe because it slowed down each time to show us more of Burgess and Alex, but I felt how their entire lives passed away, while Dream stayed the same. Also, by showing Alex's life and personality it made his eventual punishment more horrible, even thought we hadn't seen his nightmares. In original issue he was kind of the same as his father, so the punishment felt justified. But in the show, Alex was just afraid, first to go against his father will and later on he feared what Dream would kill him if set free. Paul intentionally freed Dream at the end, but even so, Dream was merciless and punished Alex all the same. To me it showed how detached is Dream from humanity better than original version.

I also liked the change to how Dream freed himself. In original he pretended to pass out/die, and the people opened the cage to check on him. But, why would they do what? They feared and hated him, so why would they voluntarily open the cage? If he died, then they should be happy. If he just passed out, then he could wake up and escape. So why risk it by opening the cage, why not just left him there? The show's version, on the other hand, showed us Dream's power, how he can infiltrate people's dreams and manipulate them, the escape was accomplished by him alone, without reliance on other people actions and decisions. It was also great to see guards' reaction to Dream's escape. Even thought they tried to act intimidating and threatened him with guns, it was very clear what they are freaking out.

2) In the second chapter it was kind of comical and humiliating what Dream was dragged back by Gregory, and where was no clear explanation for his interactions with Cain and Abel. It was much better in show, Dream returned on his own, and we first saw him returning to his palace, seeing it in ruins, learning what dreams and nightmares escaped while he was away and he tried to at least fix his palace, but hadn't had enough strength even for what. All of it added urgency to his need to restore his power, compared to original where Dream restored his power by destroying some papers in a blink-and-you-miss-it moment that did not feel important at all. Compared to it, the sacrifice of Gregory was a gut punch, and it also showed what Dream does have emotions.

The scene with the Fates was also more impactful in the show, and it was interesting how, despite being a ruler of his own realm, Dream was so respectful to them.

3) It was great to see Constantine's nightmare, in the chapter it was more like an afterthought at the end of their meeting, "Oh, I had what nightmare, can you help me with it?" Actually seeing it added depth to Constantine and explained why she don't want to see it anymore.

It was an interesting shift for the reason why Dream's sand ended up with Rachel. In chapter it was her fault, she knew what it is a magical artifact and intentionally stole it with other things, so it was somewhat justified what she suffered a punishment for it. In the show, on the other hand, it was completely Constantine's fault; she left the pouch (and probably lot of other magical items) in Rachel's apartment and never bothered to return for them.

The interaction between Dream and Constantine was all-around better in the show. In the chapter Dream just appeared out of nowhere and Constantine immediately agreed to help him without any questions and in the final scene with Rachel is was the other way around, Constantine ordered Dream to help Rachel and he just did. In the show it was better, I liked how Constantine blamed Dream for seeing all humans as yet another Roderick Burgess, and forced him to help Rachel.

I think the fact what Dream look like a human in the show had actually made him more alien to me. In the comic he look humanoid, but not really human, so I expect him to not act like human and it seem normal what he is so detached. In the show, by looking human, he make me feel like he should act like one as well, and when his actions went against human norms it is more impactful, because these moments remind me "Yeah, he may look like human, but he is actually an ancient being, completely different from us, with his own logic and rules". Like in the last scene with Rachel, Dream could help her, he could have done it on his own volition, but it simply didn't occur to him to do it until Constantine confronted him and forced to do it.

4) The battle in hell became more impactful by moving it from random demon to Lucifer and by pacing it. When it was random demon a win against him didn't feel important, Dream didn't even look like he tried to win. Just Dream's reaction when he realized he would fight against Lucifer instead of random demon made the battle better. I also liked what Dream was almost defeated, IMHO it showed how deeply he was actually affected by his imprisonment. For a century he was trapped, completely powerless and in the battle, where the stake was potential imprisonment for eternity, he again felt powerless. Hope wasn't just a way to defeat Lucifer, it was also to remind himself how powerful he actually is.

Dream's words, about dreams of heaven, were also better by being directly told to Lucifer. IMHO what entire scene felt like a waking up slap to Lucifer, as if Dream told her "Yes, you rule the hell, yes, you are stronger than me, but even you have a hope in your heart and dream about leaving hell and returning to heaven".

Changing John Dee's appearance made him more horrifying. In the comic he looked like zombie, so I expected him to do horrible things. By looking like a harmless old man his actions caused more shock.

Well I finished it today and it was all I hoped for and more. Love the teaser ending. Man, Lucifer holds a grudge like no other!

I just finished... and this is pretty cool. Many parts come right off the page.

I do think if they couldn't use John Constantine then they should have made a new character... but other then that I love every bit of adaption...

I miss the wonder woman hawk man/woman and Dr fate connections... I LOVE that they don't say what city or what asylum Dee is in. I can imagine it is still Gotham, and Arkham.

Some of the things were flipped around and done in reverse... the car ride, instead of starting off with her scared and ending with her getting more comfortable until BOOM, in the show they do it backwards with her starting off comfortable and helpful and they build her dread and fear... just to end it with her getting not just to go home, but with an artifact.

I also think having Lucifer being the person to face Dream instead of 'a dark devil lord' it becomes a bit more umph. I know at the early parts of the story it seems that new viewers may no understand the power of Dream... but he is weak, only having some small % of his power, and can go toe to toe with the most powerful of angels.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Back in the day, I read all the SANDMAN comics and the one shot books after that. I still have warm memories of those comics; even though I've gone off Neil Gaiman in recent years.

I was divided about whether to watch the SANDMAN series. Actually, knowing that Jenna Coleman was in it, piqued my interest. I've enjoyed her in both DOCTOR WHO and VICTORIA.

The gender flipping and ethnicity changes don't bug me, but I have certain quibbles, which can be summed up as Too British, Too Pretty, Too Linear, Too Much Too Soon.

Too British: Despite Neil Gaiman being the writer, I never thought the comics were so fixed in a British world view. I took Dream to be a global idea. And a lot of the characters that were used had already appeared in other comics edited by Joe Orlando and created by a lot of North American talent. I never read Lucien, Cain or Abel as having British accents.

In the comics, John Dee, a.k.a. Dr. Destiny, was a long established super-villain who fought the Justice League of America. Even in this series, John Dee is born and raised in the U.S.--yet he talks with a British accent.

And characters speak with a generalized English accent. There's not even any Welsh, Scottish or Irish accents. This all makes the world of the Sandman seem contained to a parochial England.

Too Pretty: Tom Sturridge is just too pretty for Morpheus. There are things they could have done with lighting and make-up to make him less typically handsome. When he's naked, it's obvious he's been working out. But Dream shouldn't look fit. In the comics he's rather gaunt and sickly looking.

In the book, there were a variety of artistic takes and the world often had a messy unmade bed appearance. Here there really isn't that much variation. It's all good T.V. graphics--which gives everything a sameness.

Too Linear: Knowing a lot of what was going to happen, it's hard for me to judge how a novice would see this series, but I doubt that the first episode would have really grabbed a new viewer.

I think it's better to start in media res with a really shocking episode and giving explanations later. Episode 3 or 5 could have pulled in viewers first and left them guessing. Instead, the series proceeds in a straight line, explaining step by step this happened and then this happened.

Too Much Too Soon: It worries me that they felt the need to dump two story arcs into the first season. I would have preferred it had just been the first six episodes--and maybe stretch those out over eight episodes. They seem to think they need to get through as much material as possible before Netflix pulls the plug.

"A Game of You" was my favourite story arc from the comics and I'm worried that, if they get to do it, it won't be given the full treatment it deserves.

What made SANDMAN a great comic was the wealth of stories. It was more like an anthology of tales, with the Sandman simply providing the overarching framework in which all these varied stories could exist.

edit: Oh yes one other thing. The pronunciation of names. Constantine as Constan-Tighn instead of Constan-Teen--I can live with that. But Lyta pronounced like Lighter!? It bugged me every single time someone said her name--I just can't accept that.
    I seem to recall a Swamp Thing or Hellblazer story possibility written by Moore where Constantine complains about how Americans pronounce his name incorrectly by ending it with “teen” instead of “tyne”.

Edit: The panel from that story can be found in this CBR article.
    https://www.cbr.com/the-sandman-cons...aiman-netflix/
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 08-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Gaiman's original work was very British, to me as an American reading it. But moreso than that, it was very steeped in many eras of literature (focus on the more ancient though) and was basically the prototypically esoteric, fist-pumping, eclectic comic made for book nerds everywhere.

So apparently Netflix already produced at least 2 Sandman episodes they did not air yet: Calliope and Dream of a Thousand Cats.
    I was thinking these types of stand alones would be perfect for a companion Sandman Presents series, and it looks like they may be doing something similar. Can’t wait to know more:

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/08/1...isode-sandman/

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    After watching the full season, my verdict on The Sandman:

Speaking as someone who was been a fan of the comics almost from the beginning, I think this first season was good. Not great. GOOD. Some changes from the source material made sense, but others felt...random. Changes for change's sake.

The visual effects, production design and cinematography were outstanding. But the pacing, plot and character development at some points felt rushed, especially in the Doll's House portion of the season. Maybe they needed more episodes and longer runtimes.

Most of the cast was good, especially Tom Sturridge, Boyd Holbrook and Gwendoline Christie, but there was some miscastings. I love Jenna Coleman, but she was not playing Constantine. She was basically reprising her Clara Oswald role. Kirby Howell-Baptiste's acting as Death was...fine. But it's obvious she was cast only for "diversity". She doesn't have the liveliness and sweetness that I associate with the character. I have no doubt that Kat Dennings would have done in live action the same great job she did with the role in the audio dramas.

In short, this is a good show with some space for improvement. I hope the producers work the kinks out in the next season.
    You sound like ItsAGundam or Ripperverse on that part about Death. I was upset with Death not looking goth, and besides one scene Death looked less punk that I hoped, but she was still good in the role.