Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

People need to understand that Netflix isn't making this as a love letter to the fans. It's business. If they can bring new subscribers in by being open to casting diverse talent they'll do it without a second thought for your hurt feelings.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    People need to understand that Netflix isn't making this as a love letter to the fans. It's business. If they can bring new subscribers in by being open to casting diverse talent they'll do it without a second thought for your hurt feelings.
    Whenever somebody says something like that, I always think "But it's 2021... who in the hell cares about Sandman except the fans from days of yore? Aren't they dooming themselves if they don't cater to them?"

But somehow I always end up being wrong, it seems.

The recent audio book is a New York Times bestseller.

On Amazon and Audible, it is trending pretty heavy amongst the Zoomers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Whenever somebody says something like that, I always think "But it's 2021... who in the hell cares about Sandman except the fans from days of yore? Aren't they dooming themselves if they don't cater to them?"

In this particular instance?

I'd tend to agree.

It seems like you can either...

- Field An Incredibly Brilliant Version Of The IP That Gives You The Room To Call Some Of Your Own Shots...

or

- Be Ready To Wrap Things Up Early If You Wind Up Pulling A Preacher...

Never mind that this particular property is one where I could see the "Classic Coke..." fans getting mighty fussy.

I wouldn't even be that surprised if how Despair made it to the screen didn't potentially set off some complaining.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

This is just crazy thinking, this isn't some ancient niche property it's an evergreen best seller and you don't get that from the "fans from years ago" just rebuying it over and over again.

And like I said, this is a book that has always appealed to the kinds of people who value inclusion, equality and personal identity so I just can't see those people getting upset over this...and in fact I don't see it happening. Neil Gaiman doesn't seem to be wrong when he says the people getting upset over this aren't really the people who loved this book; I don't think I've seen many(if any) women on Twitter (or here) complaining about the casting, and I don't think I've seen many (if any) from the gay community getting upset by this casting...and guess what? Those have ALWAYS been the larger portions of the demographic of fans of this book.

So who is upset?
    By and large: straight white guys.

And a lot of those comments(even one here) center around her physical appearance; that she isn't attractive enough to be Death. Which says that these are surface readers at best if they only care about that and at worst? Once again, bigots.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-05-2021 at 04:10 AM.

Looks like they are not changing Death's outfit. The photo is from a long way away but she looks good in it. The ankh necklace is there. Can't tell about facial tattoos.

Looks like they are not changing Death's outfit. The photo is from a long way away but she looks good in it. The ankh necklace is there. Can't tell about facial tattoos.
    She looks more normal than I expected, even by Death standards. I don't know if it's because I'm so used to her pale comic look or they haven't done a lot of post-production work.

Ultimate Member

The thing is that is a series that lives on as trades at the places like the library. So you are getting new readers daily. Because you have a story that had a beginning, middle and an ending.

And where was the rage with say Locke and Key? One of the characters on that show is a black Latino whose character was WHITE in the books.

Or Sabrina The Teen Witch's series on Netflix-I don't remember all those black folks in the comics. I did not hear complaints.

The 100s tossed the books out the door when they killed off the black guy-who played a bigger role in the books. Saw no complaints on that.

Is Jesse Usher's character A-train on the The Boys suppose to be white?

So who is upset?
    By and large: straight white guys.
    I think it's just guys looking at photos of folks and then going off. Because they sure don't seem to be reading any of the stuff they throw fits about.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

And where was the rage with say Locke and Key? One of the characters on that show is a black Latino whose character was WHITE in the books.

Or Sabrina The Teen Witch's series on Netflix-I don't remember all those black folks in the comics. I did not hear complaints.

The 100s tossed the books out the door when they killed off the black guy-who played a bigger role in the books. Saw no complaints on that.

Is Jesse Usher's character A-train on the The Boys suppose to be white?

Tulip in the "AMC..." version of Preacher...

That said, a lot of this is kinda "Apple..."/"Orange..."

Death did have a really singular and iconic look.

While I'm not going to lose my cool over it? I can kinda see the grumble when a character's visual is that iconic.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

The teaser is up now...and it looks fantastic!

It's only a snippet but it looks so amazingly comics accurate, I can't wait to see the rest.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The reason I asked was in response to some posters discussing how the actress's dark skin color contradicted the b/w design of the character.
    It is the Domino Deadpool 2 problem. Can't paint her white or even use cgi like Titans Blackfire so screw it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The teaser is up now...and it looks fantastic!

It's only a snippet but it looks so amazingly comics accurate, I can't wait to see the rest.
    Yep, it looks very accurate and it seems to be closely adapting the first arc of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Tulip in the "AMC..." version of Preacher...

That said, a lot of this is kinda "Apple..."/"Orange..."

Death did have a really singular and iconic look.

While I'm not going to lose my cool over it? I can kinda see the grumble when a character's visual is that iconic.

Yeah, Death had a distinct look. She essentially looked like Siouxsie Sioux........Kirby Howell-Baptiste doesn't look much like Siouxsie Sioux, lol

And Morpheus pretty much looks like a Robert Smith/Peter Murphy amalgam. I always liked the 80s goth inspirations for the aesthetics on those two characters.

Have any of you actually seen Kirby Howell-Baptiste act in anything? I've seen her in The Good Place (she's an important character in the second half of that excellent show), Killing Eve (she's in the first season, which is the only good season, IMO), HBO's Barry, and the newest season of Veronica Mars that aired on Hulu -- all critically-acclaimed TV series with loyal, vocal fan bases. She's great in everything she's in, but most importantly, all her characters radiate sweetness, warmth, empathy, and humor. That, in my opinion, makes her a fine choice to play Death, even though I never would have dreamed of casting her (no pun intended).

At this point, I'm looking forward to the show mostly for her (and also hoping I can eventually sell my set of Sandman TPBs for more money when the show comes out).
    Author of the law review article "The Lawyer as Superhero: How Marvel Comics' Daredevil Depicts the American Court System and Legal Practice," Capital University Law Review, Vol. 47, No. 2 (2019).
    Download it for free at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544

Charles Dance is always a good way to start a show.