Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In the graphic novel, Death pretty much always looks the same though. Right? The goth girl. It was kind of a goofy way for an Endless to appear considering it was to everyone from old Jewish men to teenage drug addicts. If I die and a goth girl shows up, I'm not complaining. But still ....
    I think she appeared that way to everyone because every time we saw her it was from the perspective of the reader, not a character (unlike certain scenes with Morpheus).

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    In the graphic novel, Death pretty much always looks the same though. Right? The goth girl. It was kind of a goofy way for an Endless to appear considering it was to everyone from old Jewish men to teenage drug addicts. If I die and a goth girl shows up, I'm not complaining. But still ....
    Like I said,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The series has the benefit of knowing all this and could have exploited these discoveries earlier in the series.
    What adaptations have going for them is having the whole work in front of them, so they can set up ideas earlier. Whereas many books and certainly comic books are a work in progress.

The comic books came out month by month, and the creators didn't have the advantage of knowing exactly where they were going to go. Gaiman said that at first he didn't know where he was heading, but then it came to him and he had a clearer direction.

Reading the comics at the time, the open concept of the Endless was something that dawned on me gradually. But it's an important concept for how it all works out in the end. The show had the benefit of knowing this, but didn't exploit that possibility in the first season as much as it could have.

I recall that on NIGHT GALLERY, "The Messiah on Mott Street" had a similar scenario as the Jewish man who died. I haven't seen that episode since it aired, but it always stuck with me, even if I can't remember it all. The Jewish man couldn't die until he met the Messiah and for him the Messiah was black.

I wonder why they didn't go with Death's signature Egyptian eye makeup thingie.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I saw it too. I'd also agree with Mr. Kelly above that it would have been nice to see Death and the other endless more from people's perspectives and as other beings, both for meta casting reasons and to show how otherworldly they are. I'll also agree with j9ack9k that Despair was a bit of a disappointment.

All that said, this show was much better than it had any right to be. Say what you will about how they botched Preacher (and boy, did they botch Preacher), but at least that had a fairly simple storyline to follow that lent itself to a screen adaptation. Forget "Watchmen", to me this was the truly unfilmable comic book story. And danged if they didn't get it right. Sure, changes here and there but the tone is right and there's more again that is on point than there likely should have been.

I had my doubts when I found out it was going to be on Netflix, which has had a lot of duds these past few years. And after Preacher and Y the Last Man (blech) I didn't have much hope. But I'll be waiting for Season 2 now, and trying to push it on people not familiar with the story. My only concern is a few friends of mine who aren't comic readers but love superhero movies watched the pilot and were bored. I tried explaining this isn't Superman or Guardians, but it might suffer from skewed expectations.
    Don't get me started...

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Guessing it would not work on Death because she isn't pale like in the comics. Same possible reason they changed up Dominos look in Deadpool2.

It's simply because she doesn't have it at this point in the story in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It's simply because she doesn't have it at this point in the story in the comics.
    Oh, she didn't? It's been so long I imagined that she always had it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-03-2022 at 07:40 AM.

Oh, she didn't? It's been so long I imagined that she aways had it.
    Nope. I haven't read the og comics but Gaiman addressed this criticism on his FB page.

Death from Sandman #8, first appearance.

Death from TV show

What's the fuss?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I've enjoyed this show. At first I was like "Oooohhhh kaaaaay, so where is this going?" but then i stook with it and came out enjoying it and wanting more.

I have my own cat sitting business so watching the first part of 'A Dream of a Thousand Cats' was very hard. I actually turned it off. A friend had to let me know at what point to join back into it. I'm one of those people that can watch (not in a psycho way) a show and not be phased by humans being harmed, tortured, killed etc. but the second an animal is involved I struggle.

Anyways, once I got over that part it really was a lovely story and the animation was beatiful.
    * YNWA * - * JF97 *

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Death from Sandman #8, first appearance.

Death from TV show

What's the fuss?
    You already know that answer.

Aside from hair-there is no major difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Dog View Post
    I have my own cat sitting business so watching the first part of 'A Dream of a Thousand Cats' was very hard. I actually turned it off. A friend had to let me know at what point to join back into it. I'm one of those people that can watch (not in a psycho way) a show and not be phased by humans being harmed, tortured, killed etc. but the second an animal is involved I struggle.
    Same. That part was hard for me both in the comic and on TV.
    On the other hand, we are on a good track:

https://twitter.com/lyinggato/status...72314971213824
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I finally finished the first season and I thought it was great. The special episode was pretty fun.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-24-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

I don't binge watch, so just finished the 'Death' episode. It was a very moving episode -- first with Death visiting people who weren't ready to go -- and then with Morpheus admitting that friendship was the main reason he kept returning to that bar every 100 years. I don't think Death's look impacted the episode whatsoever.

That said -- Death and Morpheus looked nothing alike -- whereas they looked very similar in print. It would have been kinda cool to see a scene with Death in her cosmic look with chalk white skin -- something for the comic book readers. But to anyone not knowing how Death looked in comics -- it didn't matter.

You can see why Neil chose her to be Death. She did a good job as Death, imo.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly