Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I don't see why this would fail, everything so far looks spectacular. The only thing that worries me is the lack of promotion.

I think you answered your own question here.
    Indeed. But people should admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Death has a perky goth appeal to the character though. She looked more like a businesswoman from that one image. Same reason why I hated Starfire in S1 of Titans no reason to look like a hooker yes she did btw not just for "undercover work" the entire time. Thank god she got a better costume.
    I mean is this not supposed to come off as blatantly racist? You just compared two unrelated black characters to each other for ... what? What is this notion that only white people can have a "perky goth appeal?"

She looks like Death!
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I mean is this not supposed to come off as blatantly racist? You just compared two unrelated black characters to each other for ... what? What is this notion that only white people can have a "perky goth appeal?"
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. There was a lot to unpack there.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Imo Death should look like a prettified Grim Reaper. Her skin should be the color of bone and her hair should evoke the cowl of the grim reaper. This makes her the one character who should not be race-shifted. Not only should she be white, she should have makeup to make her look bone white.

There are plenty of characters they could have race-swapped without issue. Any and every other character, in fact. They literally race-swapped the one single character in the story for whom white skin and a hair shape/texture that is cowl-ish is important.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 07-22-2022 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Imo Death should look like a prettified Grim Reaper. Her skin should be the color of bone and her hair should evoke the cowl of the grim reaper. This makes her the one character who should not be race-shifted. Not only should she be white, she should have makeup to make her look bone white.

There are plenty of characters they could have race-swapped without issue. Any and every other character, in fact. They literally race-swapped the one single character in the story for whom white skin and a hair shape/texture that is cowl-ish is important.
    How or why is it important? What does it do for her character?

I'm willing to hear your argument but you haven't even made one. You just said, "she has to be white, it's important that she's white" without even trying to explain yourself. Sharing a picture of a Grim Reaper toy and saying that's what Death should look like doesn't mean anything

I have yet to see any valid reasonable argument regarding Death's skin color that isn't in some way influenced by racism, the male gaze, or both
    They/Them

She's literally the Grim Reaper. She should look like the Grim Reaper humanized. If you want to race-swap, then I'd be fine with literally race-swapping the entire rest of the cast. Literally all of them. Let her be the one bone-white face in the entire movie otherwise composed entirely of black people for all I care.

She's not supposed to look like the Grim Reaper, though? The whole point of the Endless is that they look like whatever the person seeing them visualizes. She looks like a white goth in the comics due to the era, not because it matches the Reaper. So now she's just a black goth.

She's literally the Grim Reaper. She should look like the Grim Reaper humanized. If you want to race-swap, then I'd be fine with literally race-swapping the entire rest of the cast. Literally all of them. Let her be the one bone-white face in the entire movie otherwise composed entirely of black people for all I care.
    No she is not. 80sbaby said it best, her look is representative of the era, not her character. This isn't a "new" or "updated" Death. She's just black.

Again I am failing to see any reasonable argument about this.
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member

If we're seriously going with the notion that she should be bone white and death personified, she should look like this and not like something fanboys with goth girl fetishes would jerk it to:

Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Indeed. But people should admit it.

She looks like Death!
    Racist? How? My point is both characters got backlash not just because of being black it was also their "character" outfit. Domino from Deadpool 2 got the same treatment and I loved her in that film because she was still Domino. If the argumemt s this is they should look, then Death could also look like an elderly black men as well.
    Last edited by Maestro 216; 07-22-2022 at 01:15 PM.

I am a white (as in Caucasian) woman, and I assure you, I look nothing lke that.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I have no real knowledge of this property, outside of knowing a few characters designs and watching a short cartoon with Death on one of the animated movies (which GUTTED me), so any changes made here don't bother me. The trailers I have seen do make me interested in seeing this, though.

Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

He's got a good Morpheus voice.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Yeah... the only interest I have with this new Sandman show is if it gets Neil Gaiman to write another Sandman comic again. Maybe the Delirium comic he always was talking about.

Whoa, looks great. And so help me, Lucifer is so Lucifer-ey.

I'll still go in with moderate expectations because there are so many elements to this that could be easy to miss. But color me optimistic!
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-25-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.