Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So apparently Netflix already produced at least 2 Sandman episodes they did not air yet: Calliope and Dream of a Thousand Cats.
    I was thinking these types of stand alones would be perfect for a companion Sandman Presents series, and it looks like they may be doing something similar. Can’t wait to know more:

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/08/1...isode-sandman/
    I'm the opposite (what else is new). I think those "stand alones" should be within the main series. If "A Dream of a Thousand Cats" or "Calliope" had been in the first series, my expectations for SANDMAN would have been more greatly satisfied--so long as the cinematography could live up to the beautiful artwork of Kelley Jones.

Finding out that they could have give me that and they didn't is exasperating.

It's those kinds of stories that made SANDMAN a great comic book. It's all part of the "anthology" aspect of the series. Having little stories that pop up in between story arcs or in the middle of story arcs, that don't seem to be connected to the ongoing plot, but really are connected--always gave the comic an extra boost.

If they just hoover all those stories out of THE SANDMAN and put them out in a companion anthology series, then I'm not very likely to see that series.

It's been the same with the comic books--setting up companion runs that relate to the Dreaming, but aren't fundamental to it, isn't what I want and don't pique my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    You sound like ItsAGundam or Ripperverse on that part about Death. I was upset with Death not looking goth, and besides one scene Death looked less punk that I hoped, but she was still good in the role.
    I missed the "world building" aspect of each member of the Endless having that supernaturally pale skin but, otherwise, Howell-Baptiste was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    So apparently Netflix already produced at least 2 Sandman episodes they did not air yet: Calliope and Dream of a Thousand Cats.
    I was thinking these types of stand alones would be perfect for a companion Sandman Presents series, and it looks like they may be doing something similar. Can’t wait to know more:

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/08/1...isode-sandman/
    Ha! I remember when Neil said that they've already cast the cats, I thought it was a joke once they revealed which issues they cover in season 1. Guess not.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Fantastic Member

Finished watching it...my impression as a TV Show it's a B- as a Sandman adaptation it's an F. I had a number of issues with the series on a tonal, casting, and technical level.

I loved how obviously “Florida” was an English seaside town.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Netflix just release a trailer for new episodes. COOL!

Awesome! Apparently it’s already out!

Am I the only one look looks at the Corinthian and thinks Gary Busey in Lethal Weapon?

Haven't watched this yet, but from the perspective of a person who has been aware of the 30 years of starts and stops of failed adaptations, some of which sounded pretty good but never happened, some of which sounded absolutely dreadful, it must be very satisfying for Neil Gaiman to see his baby actually come to fruition in a form he approves of and was involved in - and, the added bonus of it being a huge success!

Seriously, I wonder what it feels like to have such a big part of your life in this weird limbo for 30 years?

Fantastic Member

Just watched Calliope/Cats. They were spot on. They were also stories that I didn't read more than once or twice, so it was fun to see them depicted. The animation in Cats was gorgeous.

I love the Sandman comic book series, and the show had a great first season. It's satisfying in so many ways, and it's so close to an adaptation I feel like my major issues really shouldn't matter considering I can usually forgive changes or omissions (I wasn't a huge fan of Jenna Coleman as present day Constantine but she works in the past, and it would've been cool to see Hector Hall as Sandman rather than Jed Walker). I prefer the race/gender change for Lucien because when I was reading the comics I sometimes thought Lucien and Cain looked too similar.

Since it's Netflix I do worry about abrupt cancellation, but I also wonder how many seasons this show needs. They managed to get through a lot of the comics in just ten episodes, and we've already got appearances from most of the major characters. It wouldn't be Sandman without the standalone stories, so I'm glad they released a couple separate ones. It would be a crime if they never did "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (and we've already got the set up) and that might be something they want to do separate/standalone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It worries me that they felt the need to dump two story arcs into the first season. I would have preferred it had just been the first six episodes--and maybe stretch those out over eight episodes. They seem to think they need to get through as much material as possible before Netflix pulls the plug.
    I don't know if it's a thing to get and keep viewers, if it's a budget thing, or what, but it worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Oh yes one other thing. The pronunciation of names. Constantine as Constan-Tighn instead of Constan-Teen--I can live with that. But Lyta pronounced like Lighter!? It bugged me every single time someone said her name--I just can't accept that.
    What pronunciation do you prefer? Like it's the last syllable in "Hippolyta"? That would sound weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I missed the "world building" aspect of each member of the Endless having that supernaturally pale skin but, otherwise, Howell-Baptiste was wonderful.
    I miss the weirdness of the dialogue boxes. Leaves it up to the reader to decide what that's supposed to sound like, but obviously that's something a comic book can get away with but a TV show can't. When they introduce my favorite member of the Endless, I worry she will sound too...human...for my tastes.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    What pronunciation do you prefer? Like it's the last syllable in "Hippolyta"? That would sound weird to me.
    In my head, I always pronounce it like Leeta. In performances of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM, I've never known actors to pronounce Queen Hippolyta's name as HippoLIGHTa.

I studied ancient Greek where it's written as Ἱππολύτη. The ύ is an upsilon, which in English is transcribed as a y, but it's pronounced like a short i, like the i in rabbit. Or more like a German ü.

Now I’ve seen all of this I’m still flabbergasted how this managed to get an 18 rating. Like, there’s some largely implied sex, several rather tame stabbings and some slightly rum language. It didn’t feel far off His Dark Materials if the performers had slurped some sherries.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Now I’ve seen all of this I’m still flabbergasted how this managed to get an 18 rating. Like, there’s some largely implied sex, several rather tame stabbings and some slightly rum language. It didn’t feel far off His Dark Materials if the performers had slurped some sherries.
    ... Did you miss the whole 24/7 episode?

Nothing was implied or left to the imagination.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    ... Did you miss the whole 24/7 episode?

Nothing was implied or left to the imagination.
    Compared to the original comic book it was pretty tame. That might have colored my perception but it's not as if, for example, the sex scenes were hardcore or even close to it.