Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The official Starwars.com episode guide is out for the first three. And it clears up the issue with the timing on the Kemari flashbacks.

"The flashbacks in this episode occur during the later years of the Republic, prior to the start of the Clone Wars, with Maarva and Clem worrying about an incoming Republic frigate interrupting their salvage operation. The dead crewers aboard the transport corsair wear uniforms with a symbol closely related to the eventual Separatist Alliance. Travel to Kenari will later be restricted by the Empire due to environmental disaster."
    That sort of explains things better. I mean, the Seperatists were once part of the Republic-hence the name. So I guess these might be proto-seperatists of some kind.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I love the retro futuristic vibe of the show. Very reminiscent of 70's futurism, just modernized. Getting strong Ridley Scott, & Stanley Kubrick vibes. Even Lucas circa THX 1138. And I also love the straight faced realism of it all.
    Something I've always wanted to see in a Star Wars film/show.. Andor is probably my favorite Star Wars media of all time. Yes even more so than the OT, which isn't hard to do tbh lol.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Thinking Saw might show much worse. In Rogue One his attack on the Imperial tank had civilians in the crossfire and Jyn and co. had to intervene (although unfortunately, said civilians probably died later when the city was pretty much evaporated; although of course it's possible they evacuated like the Imperials, Dr. Evazan and Ponda Babba, some of Saw's group and of course the Rogue One group themselves) and it's implied he's done much worse by Mon Mothma.
    From what I remember Mothma was worse, or became worse. Constantly using ruthless suicide missions. So much so one high ranking Rebel comander (Jan Dodonna?) threatened to quit.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 09-28-2022 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    "Why must everything be so boring and sad?" Lol. Same question I been asking myself when it comes to entertainment the last 10 years or so. Kind of a shame they put so much into a show about a char that's already dead.
    The biggest criticisms of Marvel movies that have dominated cinemas the last decade have been that they're "amusement park rides" which are the opposite of boring, or "too comedic" which is the opposite of sad.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-28-2022 at 08:59 PM.

It's nice to see the Imperials treated seriously and functional (more or less) compared to how cartoonish they can come off in other shows (particularly involving Dave Filoni). They even have characters react appropriately to Tie Fighters.

ISB Imperial Intrigue! A committed Imperial Officer who has a gut instinct that the sparks of rebellion are forming. I'm sure she and Cassian will get along swimmingly!

I love that ISB guy. Him spitting so much facts about how the Corpo squad screwed up, and it being everything Syril's superior expected if they had carried on this investigation, was priceless. And the dude raising his hand .

The humiliation of Syril Karn continues. It's bad enough he lost his job, any chance at respect or achievement he might have thought was possible, and seems completely shaken up by how badly he screwed up (and ISB is wasting no time in reminding him) but then he has to move back in with his mom...who slaps him upon their reunion.

Construction material going to Scarif? Ha !

The show really emphasizing how it's hard to fight a rebellion without the cash to fund and feed it.

Mon Motham and Luthen showing off their amazing acting skills by pivoting and playing their "parts" so well until no one can see them. Cassian will learn well.

Mon Mothma was married!? Huh. I guess you finally learn a lot about a person when you can dive deeper into their character than past stories. Kind of makes me wonder what happened to this guy, but considering he seems oblivious to his wifes' true political machinations and treats what she's going through frivolously, I don't see it ending well.

Kind of got ourselves a proto Rogue One squad here. Cassian's only after the money, but I wonder if this is what will sell him on being a rebel, or at least continuing to work with Luthen. I'm curious how many of these characters might bite it. The cute, dorky one? He might be the first casualty.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Watched the first three eps and I'm not sold on it, but then I'm not a fan of ROGUE ONE either.

I thought those eps were painfully slow and there wasn't that much meat on the bone, more an atmosphere than any real character work and I'm not overly fond of the brutality and cynicism.

STAR WARS is a romantic larger than life story and I tend to think it's not served well by stripping it down like this. But that's just my take.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The biggest criticisms of Marvel movies that have dominated cinemas the last decade have been that they're "amusement park rides" which are the opposite of boring, or "too comedic" which is the opposite of sad.
    Right! People act like that all of these tentpole films been nothing but grimdark. If anything they've all been super safe popcorn films. EVERYTHING'S been "Marvelized". But patient zero was probably "Beyformers".
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 09-29-2022 at 06:01 AM.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    STAR WARS is a romantic larger than life story and I tend to think it's not served well by stripping it down like this. But that's just my take.
    That's definitely a limited take to have lol
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 09-29-2022 at 06:03 AM.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    I love the retro futuristic vibe of the show. Very reminiscent of 70's futurism, just modernized. Getting strong Ridley Scott, & Stanley Kubrick vibes. Even Lucas circa THX 1138. And I also love the straight faced realism of it all.
    Something I've always wanted to see in a Star Wars film/show.. Andor is probably my favorite Star Wars media of all time. Yes even more so than the OT, which isn't hard to do tbh lol.
    Funny thing is Lucas changed an element of SW during production because "Futureworld" already used it. Originally the chess game on the Falcon was going to use humans in masks, but when FW came out with a similar scene he asked Phil Tippet if he could do something different with stop-motion aliens.

So the Rakata get mentioned here-the species that once ruled the galaxy long before the Republic and were part of the reason the Jedi were formed in the first place (I think). At least according to the old canon...

Apparently in addition to the Starkiller/Vaderesque armor and a few other items, there's also a familiar whip in carbonite and the Sankara stones in the antique shop.

I'm enjoying this series more than any Star Wars series since the Mandalorian. The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-wan Kenobi were both meh to me passable but certainly not great by any means.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Apparently in addition to the Starkiller/Vaderesque armor and a few other items, there's also a familiar whip in carbonite and the Sankara stones in the antique shop.
    I'm hoping Starkiller pops up in Fallen Order. So it was cool to see.

I wouldn't mind a remake of Force Unleashed where Starkiller hangs out with the Rogue One crew but that feels too fanservicy.

Episode 4 is a bit of a setting the table episode. Andor probably would be better if it released all at once.

Know I'm maybe overspeculating on potential cameos perhaps, but with the show featuring the ISB and taking place around the time of Rebels season one, I wouldn't rule out Yularen or Kallus.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This show is definitely a slow burn. The first couple episodes were a bit of a slog to get through but the pace really picked up around the second half of the third episode. If the rest of this series is going to be like the fourth, this will probably become my favorite SW project ever. I think they need to give the Jedi a rest for a while. Let us see how everyone else lives in this universe. My only real quibble is the look a little bit. I think they tend to try too hard with the "lived in" look sometimes. Everything looks over 20 years old. I get that this has to be believable but there would be at least some newer looking ships or something. Fortunately, the scenes on Coruscant kind of made up for that. The anachronistic technology is a bit jarring and takes you out of it a little bit. Especially since Star Trek has been using touchscreens for over 35 years. But it has to line up with the original movies so I get it. Mon Mothma is probably the most believable of all the characters. Luthen's transformation was probably the part that sold me on this show. The idea that these people have regular day jobs on top of fighting the rebellion isn't something you think much about until you see it. And the scene with the driver saying he couldn't afford anything in the store just felt so real.

The scene where Syril has to move back in with his mother somehow also made this world feel not only real, it made it feel relatable. This wasn't some fantastic story about an advanced society, it was about a man who lost his job and everything else. These are real people with real lives here. No goofy cartoon aliens here! This should be the model for any movie projects gong forward!
    Assassinate Putin!