Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Christian Bale wants to play one, maybe that would be a good choice.

Of course it's not uncommon-although Daniel Craig is the most famous one, a lot of other celebrities have had Stormtrooper cameos, although a lot of them end on the cutting room floor.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Take another any time their "armor" completely fails to protect them from anything. (I mean, if you can still be knocked unconscious from being punched in the helmet, that helmet isn't doing anything)

I want a Storm Troopers episode where we show that their morale is SO horrible, that they just don't care. That's why they don't really shoot anyone and they don't really care if they die. They're all just miserable.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I absolutely agree... at least in theory. I think my problem is that there is a limit to just how far you can push Star Wars in that direction before you start losing what makes Star Wars, Star Wars.
    This is how I feel.

And I would point out that a lot of the things ANDOR is getting credit for bringing to the STAR WARS universe already existed.

One thing that really frustrates me about "Andor is Star Wars all grown up" is that it implies Lucas' work lacked moral complexity or thoughtfulness. ROTJ reveals that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda were willing to weaponize Luke to fight Vader without telling him the truth about his father. The prequels tackle religious dogma via the Jedi Order as well as an unwinnable war that thrusts a democratic republic into tyranny. STAR WARS is romantic but it was never simplistic. Every kid understood when Han first shows up that he was a shady guy doing shady things without needing to see him shoot someone in the face point blank while they beg for their life.

Luke's original debut scenes including his dialogue with Biggs also tend to go into more specifics about how the Empire is bad for even an inconsequential backwater like Tatooine.

Incredible Member

I thought the first 3 eps were padded and could've been done in a single 45-50 min ep.
    Ep 4 really kicked it up a notch though, so I'm still in.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    I thought the first 3 eps were padded and could've been done in a single 45-50 min ep.
    Ep 4 really kicked it up a notch though, so I'm still in.
    I think whether or not those eps were padded will depend on how much of the things laid out there will pay off later. Unless you're outright cutting out sequences, it would have been a lot of ground to cover in one episode.

I guess the jealous boyfriend angle maybe could've been cut since all it did was create a reason for the security forces to find Andor, but that could have happened many other ways. And if they needed to show security kill a townie, it could've been anyone since we didn't really care much about that guy anyway (I already forgot his name)

Man, Syril's mother is the worst...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    The official Starwars.com episode guide is out for the first three. And it clears up the issue with the timing on the Kemari flashbacks.
    That was nice of them to clear up a part of the show I fast forward through.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mon Mothma's daughter actually dates back to the old EU, as far as the Dark Empire sourcebook. Mon Mothma also has a son in the old EU as well, the guy who said "Imperial troops have entered the base" in ESB. Not sure if he'll show up.

This episode also shows some holocrons in the shop, as well as the Sankara stones. Curiously there are two-the exact amount missing. No wonder Mola Ram couldn't find them!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think whether or not those eps were padded will depend on how much of the things laid out there will pay off later. Unless you're outright cutting out sequences, it would have been a lot of ground to cover in one episode.

I guess the jealous boyfriend angle maybe could've been cut since all it did was create a reason for the security forces to find Andor, but that could have happened many other ways. And if they needed to show security kill a townie, it could've been anyone since we didn't really care much about that guy anyway (I already forgot his name)
    I would've cut down on Cassian's childhood stuff, Bix's home life, Luthen's initial descent, multiple walking down streets. But yeah maybe a full hour would've been better (rather than 45 min).

Hoping to catch ep 5 by the weekend.

Does anyone find it funny that the show's attempt to show Mon Mothma's unhappy home life fails because it doesn't come off as "unhappy" so much as it comes off as "British" LOL.

It's like the show is saying "We showed you British people being evil, now see them doing regular stuff!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Does anyone find it funny that the show's attempt to show Mon Mothma's unhappy home life fails because it doesn't come off as "unhappy" so much as it comes off as "British" LOL.

It's like the show is saying "We showed you British people being evil, now see them doing regular stuff!
    I'm sure it will go somewhere, but considering her future importance I'd rather we were introduced to her in the Senate, or feeling the effects of the Empire on the citizens, which fuels her desire to form the Rebel Alliance. Seeing her sad homelife while surrounded by opulence doesn't lay that groundwork for me.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-05-2022 at 01:30 PM.

It’s little bit dull lads. Every episode seems to end with Diego Luna wandering around with his man-bag. Actually feels incredibly like a standard British Police procedural with random sci-fi trappings.

Third episode was better and I enjoyed the fat Limmy sergeant guy. One thing I’ll give this over a regular BBC drama is that it can be 40 minute episodes, instead of having to stretch out to an hour with no adverts.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Yeah, I'm still interested and they've used the time to build some good tension and grounded feel, but the pacing of the show's events has been mind boggling. Assuming the heist happens and concludes next week, the format of the first six episodes will have been two arcs of 3 episodes each, both of which will have consisted of two episodes of pure setup and one episode containing rising action, climax, and falling action all in one go. There's still a chance that the setup will pay off more in future episodes, but right now there is definitely a fear that just like how Obi-Wan Kenobi felt like a decent 2-2.5 hour movie spread over six episodes, Andor's first season might end up being an enthralling 6 - 8 episode series stretched out over 12.

I feel like its really trying to be the best of the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones in Star Wars, but it ends up being more like the weaker, more drawn out parts of the Walking Dead. And while GOT has the sheer presence and charisma of certain characters to keep slower moments enthralling between the sword fights and dragons, Andor's characters--while very well acted for the most part--don't have that with the exception of maybe Skarsgard's.