Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Guessing Willow will run in the gap between this and presumably either Bad Batch season 2 or Mandalorian season 3, Lucasfilmwise. Think Skeleton Crew and Acolyte just got started and Ashoka is still filming.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

With a couple eps left I wonder if we'll get any followup about Andor's sister, especially considering this whole thing started because he was looking for her. At this point it's coming across like a plot contrivance, for all the importance it's had to the overall story.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    With a couple eps left I wonder if we'll get any followup about Andor's sister, especially considering this whole thing started because he was looking for her. At this point it's coming across like a plot contrivance, for all the importance it's had to the overall story.
    I'm thinking that's the end point of the season, it would tie it up nicely narratively if it ends similarly to how it started but we see Andor change as a person.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I'm expecting to Cassian's sister to be an imperial operative in the present day. But that could be too routine for Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm expecting to Cassian's sister to be an imperial operative in the present day. But that could be too routine for Star Wars.
    I'm thinking she probably died, fridging a female character to give a hero motivation is a bad trope but I'd bet that's what happens.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Still kind of curious what happened in the first place with their family (apart from hints about some kind of Imperial disaster possibly related to the Clone Wars) and why they were kind of a "Lord of the Flies"/"Beyond Thunderdome" kind of tribe.

Disney will now be airing the final two episodes on ABC, Freeform, FX and Hulu in addition to Disney+.

Wonder if it's an attempt to boost the ratings for the second season?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Disney will now be airing the final two episodes on ABC, Freeform, FX and Hulu in addition to Disney+.

Seems like a smart move

Wow that's a big move, to the main network. Feedback must be great, weird move at this point of the season but then too, even the producers of all these projects hitting streaming isn't always set up for max eyeballs, specially when it's a hit.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

It’s the first 2 episodes.

Second season wont be until 2024, so probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I'm thinking she probably died, fridging a female character to give a hero motivation is a bad trope but I'd bet that's what happens.
    Disagree. Offing loved ones is highly effective. I see no reason why a writer should limit him/herself because once upon a time a mid tier comic writer made a website. It gives the impression that if you just follow a set of rules then you can't go wrong. It all comes down to how good the story is.

There are great stories where the love interest dies to motivate a hero. There are great stories that utterly fail the Betchel test and vice versa. We need to stop shackling writers
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-16-2022 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Did I spell "Betchel" right? Meh, don't care
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Disagree. Offing loved ones is highly effective. I see no reason why a writer should limit him/herself because once upon a time a mid tier comic writer made a website. It gives the impression that if you just follow a set of rules then you can't go wrong. It all comes down to how good the story is.

There are great stories where the love interest dies to motivate a hero. There are great stories that utterly fail the Betchel test and vice versa. We need to stop shackling writers
    The point of calling out the trope isn't to "shackle writers", it's to call out lazy writing and challenging them stop reusing cliched short-cuts. (and yes, to encourage writers to not perpetuate a harmful mindset in culture as well) "Fridging" happened long before that website coined the phrase, whether it happened to the girlfriend, or the cop's partner, etc.. It's a plot device intended to "make it personal!" Writers shouldn't limit themselves by creating throwaway characters who are only plot devices rather than trying to write fleshed out characters and to craft a more organically developed motivation than simply "You killed Kenny! You bastard!"

And in regards to this show, it's been building Andor's motivations the whole time. Whether or not her death adds to that won't fit the trope in my mind, and I trust the writers to do it well. So I guess we'll see how they play it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-16-2022 at 10:36 AM.

The point of calling out the trope isn't to "shackle writers", it's to call out lazy writing and challenging them stop reusing cliched short-cuts. (and yes, to encourage writers to not perpetuate a harmful mindset in culture as well)
    There is a much easier way to do that. It's called not giving that writer anymore of your time or money. What you are going for is control.

"Fridging" happened long before that website coined the phrase, whether it happened to the girlfriend, or the cop's partner, etc.. It's a plot device intended to "make it personal!"
    And sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but that is for the audience to decide. Tv Tropes is a fun little site but I wonder if the people who made it realized the adverse effect it would have on an entire of generation LOL.

Writers shouldn't limit themselves by creating throwaway characters who are only plot devices rather than trying to write fleshed out characters.
    Who are you to tell writers what they are limiting themselves on?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    There is a much easier way to do that. It's called not giving that writer anymore of your time or money. What you are going for is control.

And sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but that is for the audience to decide. Tv Tropes is a fun little site but I wonder if the people who made it realized the adverse effect it would have on an entire of generation LOL.

Who are you to tell writers what they are limiting themselves on?
    Who do I have to be? It's called criticism or y'know - giving my personal opinion, and as it's still a free country I'm pretty sure that's my right - that's not control. Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything.

And I think it's been a good thing that "Women in Fridges" coined that phrase.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-16-2022 at 11:13 AM.

Who do I have to be? It's called criticism or y'know - giving my personal opinion, not control. It's still a free country. Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything.

And I think it's been a good thing that "Women in Fridges" coined that phrase.
    The thing is feelings about fridging now are it should never be done. So it's easy to just say "my opinion" when there is overwhelming pressure being exerted on the writer to not do it under any circumstances.