Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Yeah, I'm still interested and they've used the time to build some good tension and grounded feel, but the pacing of the show's events has been mind boggling. Assuming the heist happens and concludes next week, the format of the first six episodes will have been two arcs of 3 episodes each, both of which will have consisted of two episodes of pure setup and one episode containing rising action, climax, and falling action all in one go.
    Yes, this show will be structured in 3-episode arcs. Each arc having a 3-act structure. Not sure why that's so mind-boggling.

On another note, it's 2022 but it feels like the 70s (and not just the aesthetic)
    for how circumspect they're being about the gay couple. I wonder how much corporate oversight there is about how explicit they could be about it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-05-2022 at 04:42 PM.

Incredible Member

Yeah, I'm still interested and they've used the time to build some good tension and grounded feel, but the pacing of the show's events has been mind boggling. Assuming the heist happens and concludes next week, the format of the first six episodes will have been two arcs of 3 episodes each, both of which will have consisted of two episodes of pure setup and one episode containing rising action, climax, and falling action all in one go. There's still a chance that the setup will pay off more in future episodes, but right now there is definitely a fear that just like how Obi-Wan Kenobi felt like a decent 2-2.5 hour movie spread over six episodes, Andor's first season might end up being an enthralling 6 - 8 episode series stretched out over 12.

I feel like its really trying to be the best of the Walking Dead or Game of Thrones in Star Wars, but it ends up being more like the weaker, more drawn out parts of the Walking Dead. And while GOT has the sheer presence and charisma of certain characters to keep slower moments enthralling between the sword fights and dragons, Andor's characters--while very well acted for the most part--don't have that with the exception of maybe Skarsgard's.
    Having watched the 5th ep, this sums up how I feel. With the established pattern though, next ep should be an exciting one, then.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    This is how I feel.

And I would point out that a lot of the things ANDOR is getting credit for bringing to the STAR WARS universe already existed.

One thing that really frustrates me about "Andor is Star Wars all grown up" is that it implies Lucas' work lacked moral complexity or thoughtfulness. ROTJ reveals that Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda were willing to weaponize Luke to fight Vader without telling him the truth about his father. The prequels tackle religious dogma via the Jedi Order as well as an unwinnable war that thrusts a democratic republic into tyranny. STAR WARS is romantic but it was never simplistic. Every kid understood when Han first shows up that he was a shady guy doing shady things without needing to see him shoot someone in the face point blank while they beg for their life.
    Oh yeah, Star Wars has always had some morally complex characters and however ponderous Andor may be, the central character is really not at all far from a Han Solo type. The reluctant hero has been part and parcel of Star Wars right from the very beginning. Diego Luna is a very good actor, but I just haven't found his character all that compelling after 5 episodes and a movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Does anyone find it funny that the show's attempt to show Mon Mothma's unhappy home life fails because it doesn't come off as "unhappy" so much as it comes off as "British" LOL.

It's like the show is saying "We showed you British people being evil, now see them doing regular stuff!
    Ha! You're not wrong! But then, it's not for nothing that the whole thing feels an awful lot like a prestige BBC drama at times.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm sure it will go somewhere, but considering her future importance I'd rather we were introduced to her in the Senate, or feeling the effects of the Empire on the citizens, which fuels her desire to form the Rebel Alliance. Seeing her sad homelife while surrounded by opulence doesn't lay that groundwork for me.
    Whenever I see her and her family interact I have to ask myself... "Are they unhappy or are they just being British?" It's really hard to tell.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Whenever I see her and her family interact I have to ask myself... "Are they unhappy or are they just being British?" It's really hard to tell.
    Even we’re not completely sure. We just like to complain.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I cry almost every time I see this show lol. Because it's a minor miracle that something like this even got made. Hell, I felt that way about The Expanse too. We as Sci-Fi geeks needs to appreciate things like that.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Oh yeah, Star Wars has always had some morally complex characters and however ponderous Andor may be, the central character is really not at all far from a Han Solo type. The reluctant hero has been part and parcel of Star Wars right from the very beginning. Diego Luna is a very good actor, but I just haven't found his character all that compelling after 5 episodes and a movie!
    Agreed (I'm only three eps in but I don't know if I'll even continue at this point, there's too many things I find enjoyable to slog through a show that doesn't resonate with me).

I guess I just don't get the whole "it's STAR WARS, but slow and depressing." So...not really STAR WARS at all?

(Just my opinion, not taking anything away from how excited a lot of people clearly are about the show, which is great.)

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So I guess cereal exists in the Star Wars universe.
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Yes, this show will be structured in 3-episode arcs. Each arc having a 3-act structure. Not sure why that's so mind-boggling.

I said the pacing was mind boggling, not the fact that its structured in 3 episode arcs. Its that the pacing of the 3 episodes are two episodes of very little happening and then dumping everything in the third.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So I guess cereal exists in the Star Wars universe.
    https://youtu.be/LZKIUvh0UHk
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The more I see of it, a lot of ANDOR seems very close to what George Lucas kind of pitched for the Star Wars TV series concept.

"It's kind of like Episode IV — it's funny and there's action, but it's [a] lot more talky. It's more of what I would call a soap opera with a bunch of personal dramas in it. It's not really based on action-adventure films from the '30s — it's actually more based on film noir movies from the '40s!"-George Lucas

McCallum also compared the concepts to The Godfather/DeadWood/The Wire and said the tone would be like ESB a bit too.

Of course Lucas's version was reportedly going to have a ton of CG. For all of Disney's other missteps, one thing they've been fairly good with is the use of practical effects (With the exception of some of the virtual sets, but even those aren't exactly the same thing). He also intended long seasons, whereas the Disney series/seasons so far have mainly been 8-10 episodes.

ROGUE ONE of course started out as a concept for the TV show arc.

Im watching...Not a huge fan so far. Seems like a typical Star Wars movie/show...Empire is full of cardboard characters that love power and/or are so inept they can't seem to get out of their way while the Rebellion has action heroes with brains...

Personally, I think it's time to move away from the Skywalker saga timeline and move back to KotOR or into the far flung future and create new mythos. OR Give me Thrawn, and not as a side character as in Rebels or soon to be show, but full on Thrawn and how fricking brilliant he is. Heck, make a show based on his novels please...

Are Vel and Cinta the second LGBT live-action couple in SW after D'arcy and Tryce (From ROS)? Seemed to be implied.

I said the pacing was mind boggling, not the fact that its structured in 3 episode arcs. Its that the pacing of the 3 episodes are two episodes of very little happening and then dumping everything in the third.
    Okay. I guess we're just experiencing this differently. To me, things are "happening" throughout : 1 - we're introduced to characters and setting. 2 - we're seeing the characters react to an incident and develop by interacting and/or making choices leading to 3 - the action-packed climax. So to me, that pacing makes sense.

When the guy who is literally only there for the money and showed up last-minute has a better idea of what you're doing than you do. Yeah, this isn't going to end well.

Man, no wonder Syril ended up the way he did with a mother like that. Looks like he grew up idolizing Clone Troopers too. And he might still be obsessed with catching Cassian.

Poor Mon Mothma. Her own daughter disrespects her, her husband disrespects and doesn't support her, the senate is basically useless, and in-between all that she's trying to organize a Rebellion. Although I guess if her family is so awful than we probably won't feel bad when she leaves for the Rebellion on her own.

That's got to be the most halfhearted "For the Rebellion" I have ever heard. It shows how very few of them are really committed to the cause and the lack of cohesive unity, which might be what ends up screwing them over. The kid will probably screw-up/die first.

They've so sparingly used Storm Troopers that I have to imagine how big of a deal it will be when they finally get involved in the plot.

Star Wars Cereal! Star Wars adderal!

I have to admire Dedra's assistant that he's willing to put the work in to help her even well into the night. They may be Imperials, but they're committed Imperials.

I wonder if Cassian's fiddling with the necklace and not protecting it enough will end with him losing it and exposing Luthen. Also his assistant is way more involved than I expected.
    On another note, it's 2022 but it feels like the 70s (and not just the aesthetic)
    for how circumspect they're being about the gay couple. I wonder how much corporate oversight there is about how explicit they could be about it.
    I think it was less corporate oversight and more just the show continuing to be low-key about certain things.