Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Seriously though, this series does have a very different tone from the others. It has a sort of large scale to it in terms of looks but it's a very kind of low-key story to start. I suppose it's a bit close in a few ways to some of the earlier Mandalorian episodes, but not quite. It's even grittier than Rogue One at this point. There's not much humor (There's sort of some toilet humor but it's really nothing like TPM's).

Something that strikes me about the crashed ship-they say "They killed a Republic officer" but the doomed (poisoned?) crew are wearing the Separatist symbol (Which looks vaguely like a TIE wing). Also the thing about Andor's "father"-is it Maarva's partner, or his real one, explaining perhaps part of why Andor's 'clan' seem to be LORD OF THE FLIES/MAD MAX style orphans? Maybe the Orphans came across a Republic officer trying to claim the ship? Also it's referred to an Imperial mining disaster (Which has already happened) but the Republic is mentioned in the flashback. Maybe the said Mining disaster only killed adults (Maybe something like the old TREK episode Miri)

Also kind of interesting that the villains so far are pretty much the Imperial stand-ins from the old Han Solo books (The Daley trilogy, not the other ones), more or less. Of course we know from the teasers the Empire will be making their presence known very soon.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-21-2022 at 03:40 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

I think this is exactly what Star Wars needed. I know people have criticized it because, "it's a show about a character nobody asked for!", but who cares? I like the tone. I like how gritty it is and I loved the noir vibe that the opening on episode 1 had and the comparison to Blade Runner is apt.

Star Wars just can't be the same stuff over and over with laser battles, big operatic space battles and duels with lightsaber. There is room for all types of stories in the mythos (same as Gundam has down to earth stories largely devoid of major battles against the backdrop of war).

Immensely liked this and can't wait to see how it proceeds from here on out.

Be honest. How many people skipped past the Kenari flashbacks?

I know I did.

As for the rest of the show? If you ever wondered what would happen if you combined the quirkiness of the "Fifth Element" with Star Wars you have your answer. The oh so serious yet bumbling Pre-Mor people who know just enough and have enough to be terrifying. The tourist talking at the end of episode who decides to....VACATION HERE?!

Also, I just want to say that Timm did nothing wrong. His death is on Bix, yeah I said it.

It's sad that the sequel trilogy screwed the pooch so hard that great content like this has to be pushed back in the canon.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-21-2022 at 09:53 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Also, I just want to say that Timm did nothing wrong. His death is on Bix, yeah I said it.
    Yeah, selling your lover's best friend to the evil corpo in a fit of jealous pique is totally a stand up thing to do and doesn't require him owning anything at all. And the fact that he was going to gaslight Bix and try to hide it from her until he screwed up and let it slip? That is 100% heroic groundwork. 100%.

Everybody is in the wrong here. Bix, Timm, Cassian, everybody who works for the corporation. There are no heroes here. That's the rather point, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Yeah, selling your lover's best friend
    The sketchy dude who keeps showing up at the workplace and causing all kinds of drama with your girlfriend and making her pissed?

to the evil corpo
    Actually the corpo is only evil due to what we the viewers were privy to.

in a fit of jealous pique is totally a stand up thing to do
    You mean turning in the dude who is WANTED FOR MURDER? Who keeps hanging around your girlfriend.

and doesn't require him owning anything at all. And the fact that he was going to gaslight Bix
    Gaslight Bix? The same Bix who is working as a fence for the rebellion and isn't letting him in on her little side deals that can get her and Timm killed if she is found out? Ha Ha that's funny. When Cassian inquires about the relationship with Bix getting in the way she says that..and I quote "He'd do anything for me" She truly believed she had everything under control. Gaslighting Bix?!

and try to hide it from her until he screwed up and let it slip? That is 100% heroic groundwork. 100%.
    From his perspective Bix was unwittingly covering for a murderer. So yeah, that is 100 PERCENT heroic.

Everybody is in the wrong here. Bix, Timm, Cassian, everybody who works for the corporation. There are no heroes here. That's the rather point, I think.
    Nah. Bix is the reason he is dead.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 09-22-2022 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Gaslighting Bix!?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Nah. Bix is the reason he is dead.
    Nah. He's dead because he charged forward when there were guns pointed at him. Dumbass.

A dumbass does dumbass things because of a woman means it's the woman's fault he's a dumbass?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-22-2022 at 10:46 AM.

Not for nothing, but Bix had 10 hundred times more chemistry with Andor just in their first scene together than she did with Leto in the whole Morbius movie.

Random thought: I know they're just kids, but man were those Kenari kids bad at tactics. Nevermind sending in only one person to investigate the wreckage, they all watched that guy get up and shoot their leader in the back-- where were their blowdarts? How about a "Look out!"... Talk about not having your back...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-22-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Seems I'm not the only one who picked up on the weird Seperatist/Republic confusion. Some have pointed out that the ship also seems to have a design similar to the Hanger Control room in ANH. Maybe something deeper is going on here?

Guessing Syril is going to appeal to a higher authority and that's where the Empire comes in.

Niffleheim

I'll be honest and say I find Cassian boring however I'm more intrigued by where the story is going and I'm more into the bigger picture than the characters that were introduced. I want more stories like this that are told from a perspective of the rebels to explain more about why there is a war in Star Wars than centering all stories on the damn skywalkers, siths and jedi (even though I enjoy watching those stories too).
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Niffleheim

Be honest. How many people skipped past the Kenari flashbacks?

I know I did.

As for the rest of the show? If you ever wondered what would happen if you combined the quirkiness of the "Fifth Element" with Star Wars you have your answer. The oh so serious yet bumbling Pre-Mor people who know just enough and have enough to be terrifying. The tourist talking at the end of episode who decides to....VACATION HERE?!

It's sad that the sequel trilogy screwed the pooch so hard that great content like this has to be pushed back in the canon.
    Timm did a lot wrong. He is a weak man that couldn't ask a woman point blank if she had something going on with Cassian so when his imagination got the best of him he got drunk to get some courage so he could remove his alleged competition from the board to make his way clear to get the girl. When he could have easily just done all these without all the drama because Cassian was a wanted man anyway. In addition, he made it worse by sleeping with Bix after suspecting her of infidelity. He signed and orchestrated his own death.
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-22-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Given the timeline placement I kind of wonder if Hera and co. could show up some way. This is also supposed to be the year Jyn is abandoned by Saw-since he's in the show it's possible that might at least get mentioned.

Niffleheim

Gilroy said he wont be offering fanservice so have zero expectation seeing anyone who wasn't in Rogue One

Fantastic Member

Liking where this is going so far. Liking the varying shades of gray. Wasn't expecting them to give Cassian that kind of backstory and how twisted it is that he was kidnapped, but at the same time the relationship with Maarva was a familial one. Also liked the droid. And I like the corporate security outfits. I'm liking that they just didn't go with Stormtroopers. This is so low level yet that Stormtroopers shouldn't be involved.

Extraordinary Member

I'm wondering if Cassian's sister is gonna be an Empire loyalist when they reunite.

It's a slow burn but a good follow-up to Rogue One.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-24-2022 at 10:50 AM.