Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

It seems a bit meta to have Syril have an action figure or model collection, but then again one of the first things Luke ever did was play with a ship toy. (and of course we recently got the backstory of that!)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Im watching...Not a huge fan so far. Seems like a typical Star Wars movie/show...Empire is full of cardboard characters that love power and/or are so inept they can't seem to get out of their way while the Rebellion has action heroes with brains...
    Just out of curiousity... what show are you watching? The two Imperials from the ISB we've actually spent time with so far are both matter of fact and competent, and while the one of them is a total jerk, the other one appears to be genuinely committed for whatever reason. And, in fact, she appears to have worked out the existence of an increasingly organized Rebellion well before her peers, and at a stage where it could likely be nuked from orbit if anybody actually listens to her. It's true that neither really has a ton of personality so far, but neither of them falls into the heading of mustache twirling or power mad as it stands right now. We HAVE seen some brief on the job heirarchy related wrangling, but that's less Imperial than it is any major competitive workplace where one of you is the new girl. And, of course nobody is going to listen to said new girl about her vast conspiracy theory, even though she ends up being right.

The third Imperial officer we've spent time with is a Rebel sympathizer about to commit treason. Not sure that falls under cardboard cutout at all. And the way he manipulated the maintenance crew into making it so that having a skeleton crew on duty was THEIR idea and not his? Far from inept.

And we've seen exactly one Rebel engage in an action beat, when Luthen helps Cassian escape. The rest of the Rebels are maudlin, emotionally damaged, and introspective more than they are heroes. Even Cassian hardly qualifies as an action hero, dude got shot and saved by Luthen, though he does at least have a brain. Is anybody here actually expecting their raid on the armory to go well? This thing has clusterf$%k written all over it from top to bottom. (Though it also appears to be cover for another, more secret operation. What are the two women really up to? Assassination? Extraction? The timing with the arrival of an Imperial from Coruscant for the festival can't possibly be a coincidence, can it?)

Syril and the corpos ARE inept. But they aren't Imperial. And Syril's ineptitude appears to be a pretty major plot point so I'm not sure we can call him a cardboard cutout either.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 10-07-2022 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Just out of curiousity... what show are you watching? The two Imperials from the ISB we've actually spent time with so far are both matter of fact and competent, and while the one of them is a total jerk, the other one appears to be genuinely committed for whatever reason. And, in fact, she appears to have worked out the existence of an increasingly organized Rebellion well before her peers, and at a stage where it could likely be nuked from orbit if anybody actually listens to her. It's true that neither really has a ton of personality so far, but neither of them falls into the heading of mustache twirling or power mad as it stands right now. We HAVE seen some brief on the job heirarchy related wrangling, but that's less Imperial than it is any major competitive workplace where one of you is the new girl. And, of course nobody is going to listen to said new girl about her vast conspiracy theory, even though she ends up being right.

The third Imperial officer we've spent time with is a Rebel sympathizer about to commit treason. Not sure that falls under cardboard cutout at all. And the way he manipulated the maintenance crew into making it so that having a skeleton crew on duty was THEIR idea and not his? Far from inept.

And we've seen exactly one Rebel engage in an action beat, when Luthen helps Cassian escape. The rest of the Rebels are maudlin, emotionally damaged, and introspective more than they are heroes. Even Cassian hardly qualifies as an action hero, dude got shot and saved by Luthen, though he does at least have a brain. Is anybody here actually expecting their raid on the armory to go well? This thing has clusterf$%k written all over it from top to bottom. (Though it also appears to be cover for another, more secret operation. What are the two women really up to? Assassination? Extraction? The timing with the arrival of an Imperial from Coruscant for the festival can't possibly be a coincidence, can it?)

Syril and the corpos ARE inept. But they aren't Imperial. And Syril's ineptitude appears to be a pretty major plot point so I'm not sure we can call him a cardboard cutout either.
    I've seen speculation they're out to kill the engineer who showed up at the base.

What are we, five episodes into this? So far it's been a really well done show that has, quite frankly, bored the hell out of me.

The actors are all good, the characters are at least vaguely interesting and are definitely well written. The plot is good, and I usually love political thrillers like this. I don't mind a slow burn, nor do I require a lot of action sequences to keep me engaged, but somehow the show just isn't doing much for me.

I appreciate how we're getting a deeper look into certain elements of the universe; the corporate entities in the galaxy rarely seem to get much attention and it's been fun seeing that explored via the security firm here. I like how the show has shown the early days of this proto Rebellion where even finding enough money to feed people is a challenge. And the interactions between characters is a real strong suit, even the minor characters are rounded, interesting, and as developed as you could reasonably hope for and then some.

But still, I remain, for whatever reason, underwhelmed. Perhaps it's just that so many other shows have been set around this same time period; Solo, Bad Batch, Rebels, etc. I said from the start that this is the era I think they've covered the most, and I wasn't excited to see yet another "formation of the Alliance" story. I dunno.

Show is fine, I'm watching it and I don't resent the time spent in front of the tv or anything, it's not bad by any means and on a purely objective level is probably one of the best told stories in the franchise. But something here just isn't doing it for me. Definitely a well crafted show, the skill and professionalism is clear; these people know what they're doing and are very good at it. Perhaps as the season continues I'll start having more fun with it......
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-09-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It does feel like they are treading water since he got to the planet. All set up for the final episode big caper.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I think they're also building to Mon Mothma's "break the internet" moment or something like that , where maybe she gives some major senate speech denouncing the Empire or something.

It does seem a bit unclear whether she was, or is, ever on the run during the OT (although presumably out of her first job after Palpatine dissolves the senate). Bail and Leia were after all still Imperial senators (although obviously suspected of Rebel sympathies) until ANH. Early episodes of the CW show even had the Trade Federation still having representation in the senate despite Nute Gunray being one of the Seperatist leaders. (Excuse was that Nute was simply doing his own thing).

I don't care about Mon Mothma and found her domestic scenes tedious. I thought this series was not going to do fan service?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I don't care about Mon Mothma and found her domestic scenes tedious. I thought this series was not going to do fan service?
    The only way it'd be fanservice is if we got a bunch of cameos out of it.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

How is showing Mon Mothma fan service? The show is meant to be about how the Rebellion came together and Mon Momthma is a part of that.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Niffleheim

As much as I love that they are exploring stories about rebels of different classes I'm enjoying seeing Mon Mothma being a failure as a parent and a wife because of her preoccupation to the cause. I feel her husband and daughter would sell her out without even breaking a sweat.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    As much as I love that they are exploring stories about rebels of different classes I'm enjoying seeing Mon Mothma being a failure as a parent and a wife because of her preoccupation to the cause. I feel her husband and daughter would sell her out without even breaking a sweat.
    I don't think it's completely her fault. Obviously her husband barely helps her or even really cares about her, and might've helped turn their daughter against her.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it's completely her fault. Obviously her husband barely helps her or even really cares about her, and might've helped turn their daughter against her.
    The marriage looks like it has completely collapsed and what remains is a political marriage and her relationship with her daughter is in the toilet because of her busy schedule. Both husband and wife seem to have contempt for each other. I guess we're on a journey to learn who is at fault for the disintegration of their marriage or not.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Mon Mothma's daughter was part of the old EU, although she rarely appeared; she also had a son active in the Rebellion although it's unknown if he'll show up.

Technically we do have a sort of cameo during the Mothma stuff with the name drop of the Emperor's advisors.

My guess is that the husband (what's his name?) was always a little too concerned with his own comfort and prestige, caring little for the average citizen so long as he got to enjoy the good life.

When the Republic was in charge, that'd be a minor issue between him and Mon Mothma; the regular people were being taken care of as well as the government could manage (at least as far as she'd be aware, perhaps) so the husband being a selfish little aristocrat wasn't a huge problem. Like a minor habit your spouse has that's irksome, but nothing more. But with the Empire's blatant corruption and excess at the expense of the average person, that minor difference in viewpoint has grown into a dead, loveless marriage. Mon is probably wondering how her husband can still enjoy the opulence of their lifestyle while children are starving in alleyways, and the husband is probably wondering why Mon seems so intent on stirring up trouble and sending them all to those alleyways as well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't think it'd fanservice. Mon Montha makes sense but her scenes have unclear stakes. It's no different than Syril and his mom.