Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Andor TV Series

Niffleheim

How do you all find Mon Mothma's expectation of how a rebellion should be conducted? Do you find her naive expecting no deaths? With the way she reacted to Luthen she is going to have a heart attack when Saw shows up.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Some of the dialogue seems to be equating the Rebellion a bit with the Seperatists, which in it's own way was a Rebellion, although one with less than honorable supporters (The Sith, the droid armies of various companies)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Kind of interesting that with all the backlash against the political scenes in the prequels, some of Andor's best scenes deal with Mon Mothma. Granted, it's kind of better directed and written this way for the most part...

Niffleheim

I loved the politics in the prequel live action and animation. I never understood the backlash and I don't understand why ppl are so down on Andor exploring that aspect.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    How do you all find Mon Mothma's expectation of how a rebellion should be conducted? Do you find her naive expecting no deaths? With the way she reacted to Luthen she is going to have a heart attack when Saw shows up.
    It's a little naive but that could be apart of her arc. She advocates the higher road and gets more involved in choosing the missions.
    I loved the politics in the prequel live action and animation. I never understood the backlash and I don't understand why ppl are so down on Andor exploring that aspect.
    People usually see fantasy stories as escapism and don't want a lecture. Plus certain segments started to look down on being woke or diversity so they started whining about everything.

Plus badly written politics can be distracting the same way badly done romance can.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-24-2022 at 10:40 AM.

It does seem a bit naive, but we don't know exactly what her plans are do we? (aside from trying to get ahold of her family fortune, but we don't know exactly what she plans to do with it)

Wonder if we'll get a live-action Chandrila in either this or Mandalorian (It's the Republic capital at the point Mandalorian takes place).

Niffleheim

I wonder what was being constructed in this timeline for Palpatine to need such free prison labour.

I like how they're approaching Mon. I think, in her head, she saw a "rebellion" as something like a really aggressive political campaign. Is it naïve? Yeah, but Mon comes from the rich side of town and is likely accustomed to the conflict/resolution among the uber-rich; a little corporate espionage, a little double dealing in dark rooms, cut-throat political rhetoric, blackmail, etc. I doubt she envisioned, or wanted, a full blown war.

Which, of course, was never the way things were going to go. But I can appreciate Mon's efforts to keep things "civilized" and re-take control of the government without open conflict. She's a political insider and should have known better than anyone how useless such an effort would be, but sometimes real solutions are hard to see when you're too close to a problem, and I think that's the case with Mon.

Really enjoyed the latest episode. First one that I've actually been entertained by. The quality of the craftsmanship has been obvious from the start and this is likely the smartest, most well done thing Star Wars has given us in years, but despite my usual love for political thrillers this one was boring me. But something turned a corner for me here, and I'm actually looking forward to next Wednesday.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

That was kind of how things went in the ROTS deleted scenes as well. Padme, Bail, Mon and the others at first mainly want to form a group of senators opposed to Palpatine creating regional governors (Moffs) which they feel undermines the senate, but not in an armed way at first.

You know this is an ensemble when the ostensible main character doesn't appear until well into the episode.

Poor Bee. He just wanted to be involved with the conversation. It's too bad Cassian couldn't take him, but I guess Maarva needs him more. Cassian is still resistant to the rebellion or fighting back and just wants to get out, and yet his rebel action inspired his mother to join the fight. I wonder what she'll do with that blaster...

I had almost completely forgotten Cassian was looking for his sister. I'm starting to wonder if anything will come out of it.

"Why would he think that?" I dunno Cassian, you and Bix were radiating some heavy unresolved sexual tension if you ask me.

Mon Mothma doesn't agree with Luthen's more...dramatic and destructive methods. As idealistic and naive as Mon might be, and it seems like Luthen still isn't sure if they can trust or have faith in her, she still ends up being instrumental in organizing and actually leading the fully-fledged Rebellion while Luthen is nowhere to be seen. And she keeps her ideals intact enough to not accept Saw Gerrera's methods.

Yularen! Man, it was nice to see him again, even if it was in full Imperial ISB mode. By the by, I hope Tom Kane is doing okay right now.

That was the most random thing to bring up in a job interview, but the guy took it in stride.

Syril really is one of us. Feels betrayed by life and by expectations and chafing in his own inadequacy and stuck in a dead-end job courtesy of his family. He's determined to clear his name and get back at Cassian, though, so it'll be interesting how he factors back into the plot. I was actually wondering if he would lead Dedra to find out about Cassian.

Man, so much Imperial plots, machinations, and double-talk. With the Empire you never know if free-thinking will get you praised or court-martialed.

Vel cleans up nicely. I almost didn't recognize her with her hair done up like that.

"This is what makes a Rebellion" - assassinating the people you hire and did the job you told them to? The irony that Luthen is planning to have Cassian disposed of as a loose end knowing that that becomes Cassian's MO as a Rebel later on.

Mothma's daughter reminded me of Leia there. It makes me wonder now if Mon saw Leia as the daughter she wishes she had.

Is the implication that Mon's family is limiting her access to her money or her husband is?

When you trust your childhood friend more than you trust your own husband. I'm actually curious if she can trust Tay, though, he makes it clear he doesn't care for the Empire but is he willing to commit to what Mon needs?

They're really putting some focus on Cassian being a ladies man here, although in the end he had a real one with Jyn.

Oof. Cassian is just out to get something from the store after finally getting a much needed vacation, is too attentive, and basically gets arrested for no reason. Considering how that court scene went, I'm curious if the Empire is just looking for excuses to arrest people and imprison them. Will he even be able to get his credits back?

You just know that there's going to be fan theories that Kino Roy is going to be in a bunch of fan theories about how he could be one of the ingredients for making Snoke, along with Luke's hand and Grogu's DNA.

Niffleheim

The set-up of Narkina 5 was horrific. I love how Cassian got embroiled in Aldhani and how it had repercussion to his freedom, his family and friends in Ferrix and the prisoners' sentences getting doubled. The parallel Is Syril whose diligence seems to have made him a victim to the system when he got fired and now that he wasn't rehired I wonder if it will change him to be more pro empire or against the empire.

The horror of walking barefoot on floors that can electrocute a person if they are out of order is so apt about the system of governance in this universe that I've to applaud Gilroy or whoever came up with it.
    Last edited by Tofali; 10-28-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Episodes 7 and 8 work better as weekly releases than previous 2 arcs. It's a good step forward as some of the various threads are coming together.

I haven't seen THX 1138 but it seems the prison here is similar to what I've seen of the film. Interesting to see Saw again, as a sort of transition to the somewhat more level-headed if still extremist Rebel from CLONE WARS, REBELS, and FALLEN ORDER to the paranoid wreck we see in ROGUE ONE.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-26-2022 at 10:18 AM.