Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Its not bashing him, its the reality of his character now. He's very dark, his emotions are shut (thus cold), and by his own admission he's not entirely stable. There are degrees to playing this, and when played with good balance to him actually being a hero, it works. So I'm not inherently a hater of the take. But nothing about those general descriptors are untrue.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-31-2021 at 11:52 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not bashing him, its the reality of his character now. He's very dark, his emotions are shut (thus cold), and by his own admission he's not entirely stable. Writers from 1985 onward made him this way, not me.
    But the thread was simply asking what a marriage between the 2 would be like, not whether they'd realistically like each other in the 1st place. So if a writer was mandated to write them as a married couple, how would the relationship play out. Bringing up JL/U "poisoning" a generation has nothing to do with the hypothetical marriage of them.

I answered how I feel it would play out. Very unhappily. And explained why. The JL/U thing was a sidebar to comparing Diana's general characterization to what I feel is a well-known outlier. The poisoning remark was a jab since I hate that show, sure, but still tongue-in-cheek nonetheless.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-31-2021 at 11:57 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I answered how I feel it would play out. Very unhappily. And explained why. The JL/U thing was a sidebar to comparing Diana's general characterization to what I feel is a well-known outlier.
    Ok, btw I find it funny that you put Wonder Woman on this pedestal as if she's some perfect, flawless being who Bruce couldn't possibly also dislike as much as you think she'd dislike him. And I know a lot of WW fans hated her interactions with him in the DCAU but from what I've seen a lot of casual fans liked it, but whatever, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Good Lord, must every thread devolve into a Bruce bashing fest...
    This forum's fav pastime seems to be bashing Batman or whinging about him.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Honestly, holly **** it’s so annoying, this forum has skipped way past an acceptable level of complaining about a character and has gone straight to pathetic levels of salt.

The passive aggressive posters won't be happy until Bruce is dead imo
    Bruce probably hates marriage his life is only being Batman getting married is something for Bruce Wayne

Dc could turn him into Adam west batman again and people would still complain about the stuff in the past
    For them its not about characterization anymore

Shock Bruce isn't a nice person not every hero needs to be a perfect sue with no character flaws

When Bat-writers stop trying to make other heroes his punching bags or in the case of Wonder Woman, arm candy, I'd be fine with all of Bruce's negative qualities being confined to his own books because I wouldn't have to read about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    When Bat-writers stop trying to make other heroes his punching bags or in the case of Wonder Woman, arm candy, I'd be fine with all of Bruce's negative qualities being confined to his own books because I wouldn't have to read about them.
    They really don’t I mean you could think they do if you over Exaggerate or misconstrued every slightly negative interaction Bruce has with another character or if you take every bad written story at face value but who does that? It’s not like this fan base is known for ignoring shitty stories and characterizations...oh wait that only counts for some characters and not others ok got ya.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It wouldn't work out. At best, even if we were dealing with a better version of Batman like we had in the Silver Age or Bronze Age, they work much better as friends or having a casual fling at best. I think they'd drive each other up the wall if they were romantically entangled. Plus, pairing them up as never been beneficial for her. She's usually reduced to being his army candy instead of being an icon of equal stature. In fairness, this happens with Superman as well. Trinity shipping needs to die a final death.

For those complaining about the Bruce bashing...it's a little more nuanced than that.

A. It's mainly limited to the modern post Frank Miller incarnations of the character. Not everyone who loves Batman has to view that incarnation as the be all end all. Plenty of us are still Batman fans and can hate this guy's guts.
    B. Given the ideas that went into Wonder Woman's creation and what she is meant to stand against, it at times barely makes sense for post-Miller Batman to be an ally of hers, let alone a love interest.
    C. Bruce is still the most popular superhero in comics. Some randos like us complaining about him on the internet isn't going to hurt him.

I actually think it would be a very interesting status quo.

A few effects I think it would have

1. A Batman/Wonder Woman wedding issue would very likely make mainstream news/trend on social media. I think there would be fair amount of buzz. Batman 50 (the supposed Batman/Catwoman Wedding sold 440k copies). I would not be surprised if a BMWW Wedding sold similar numbers, if not more.

2. DC would very likely spin off a new Batman & Wonder Woman ongoing, similiar to Batman/Superman and the New 52 Superman/WonderWoman comics. The smart move would be to not set it in Gotham and have the pair go on some globetrotting adventure. Having Bruce fight mythological monsters and gods and Diana dabbling in murder mysteries could see both characters kinda out of there depth which would be interesting.

3. It would probably temporarily kill/stop any potential romances between other members of the Batfamily and the Wonderfamily. Pairings like Tim and Cassie or Jason and Artemis etc would suddenly become a whole lot less likely. Since pairing a Robin and a Wondergirl when there mentors are dating is a little weird.

4. I think it would become awkward for both the main Batman book writer and the main Wonder woman writer to explain where each other are during their own stories. Having Wonder Woman swoop in to capture the Joker would obviously be a big no no and I dont think Wonder Woman fans would appreciate Bruce overly appearing in her solo book either. Definitely something that could be easily worked around with some basic justifications.

5. The dynamic of the Trinity would change. I would actually be interested to see how Clark would react to such a development. Obviously he would be supportive of his friends but it would unbalance the Trinity somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    For those complaining about the Bruce bashing...it's a little more nuanced than that.

A. It's mainly limited to the modern post Frank Miller incarnations of the character. Not everyone who loves Batman has to view that incarnation as the be all end all. Plenty of us are still Batman fans and can hate this guy's guts.
    B. Given the ideas that went into Wonder Woman's creation and what she is meant to stand against, it at times barely makes sense for post-Miller Batman to be an ally of hers, let alone a love interest.
    C. Bruce is still the most popular superhero in comics. Some randos like us complaining about him on the internet isn't going to hurt him.
    I understand complaining about stories where writers have had him be a major twat [to some degree. The guy does have some negative traits but that is part of his personality. I expect a paranoid controlling man with a vexing personality to display behaviour that might rub some the wrong way.

That's part of who Bruce Batman is. I know rhis is a forum where we talk comic stories but it's constant negative discuss when it comes to Batman and a fair amount seems to salt.

It gets tedious. The number of conversations and threads that pop up asking the same type of questions.

Too much Batman?
    Why is DC giving Batman too much success? [what does that even mean?]
    Should DC kill him off?
    Why is he on the Justice League?
    Why does he get away with this and the other?

He gets blamed for other characters lack of success, loss of popularity and even creatives/WB poor decision's or handling of characters/ other franchises is often blamed on their love for Batman.

It gets old and annoying.

On WonderBat marriage. Never really thought about them as a pair.

I don't see Diana being the sort to put up with Bruce's tendencies for long.

It'd be great for Gotham, having such a super be local and the lasso offers so much shenanigans.

The batman and family constantly seating in the thing and spilling the beans
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-01-2021 at 06:02 PM.

I understand complaining about stories where writers have had him be a major twat [to some degree. The guy does have some negative traits but that is part of his personality. I expect a paranoid controlling man with a vexing personality to display behaviour that might rub some the wrong way.

That's part of who Bruce Batman is. I know rhis is a forum where we talk comic stories but it's constant negative discuss when it comes to Batman and a fair amount seems to salt.

It gets tedious. The number of conversations and threads that pop up asking the same type of questions.

Too much Batman?
    Why is DC giving Batman too much success? [what does that even mean?]
    Should DC kill him off?
    Why is he on the Justice League?
    Why does he get away with this and the other?

He gets blamed for other characters lack of success, loss of popularity and even creatives/WB poor decision's or handling of characters/ other franchises is often blamed on their love for Batman.
    It's debatable if any of this needs to be part of his personality to the extent that it is though. It's not as if Frank Miller invented the character, if anything he kind of irreparably broke him. Even if it does, I think something like the DCAU executed Bruce getting colder over time far better than the comics have ever managed, because he was still overall a likeable hero and not pulling off Tower of Babel or OMAC **** or repeatedly punching his kids.

Yes, the questions of why he should be on the JL (though as has been pointed out, other characters get his with this far more) or he should be killed off so a less popular character can take over or that he is an inherently bad concept no matter what incarnation we deal with is all epically stupid. But there IS an element of truth to DC/WB favoring the Bat-brand at the expense of developing other IPs. Before the success of the first Wonder Woman film (which they went in expecting to fail), WB had never directly been responsible for a homerun critical and audience hit that wasn't related to Batman in some way. They don't know how to deal with any of these other characters consistently well. Meanwhile, stuff like the MCU has done much more with (initially) much less. It's pathetic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The passive aggressive posters won't be happy until Bruce is dead imo
    Bruce probably hates marriage his life is only being Batman getting married is something for Bruce Wayne

Dc could turn him into Adam west batman again and people would still complain about the stuff in the past
    For them its not about characterization anymore

Shock Bruce isn't a nice person not every hero needs to be a perfect sue with no character flaws
    People don't want Batman to be 'perfect sue'. He crossed the line from 'not a nice person' to a broken and bitter shell of a man who mistreats his family and friends, can't save anyone and a broken, ineffective hero and human being.

People want a Batman who can function as a person.

The insistence that Gotham NEEDS to be a shithole not matter what he does and that his insane villains need to rack up ridiculous body counts and editorial prevents them from being killed off certainly isn't helping.

Can't entirely blame him for being a hot mess when dealing with that 24/7