Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default How many issues should a comic book storyline be?

When a comic book writes an ongoing storyline to be played out over several issues, how long should it normally be?

Of course it all depends on the writing and the art, but is there a point where you lose patience or do you like for it to go on for a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    When a comic book writes an ongoing storyline to be played out over several issues, how long should it normally be?

Of course it all depends on the writing and the art, but is there a point where you lose patience or do you like for it to go on for a long time?
    There really isn't a set length, at least not in my opinion. And the question would depend a lot more on the definition of "storyline" than anything else. I am perfectly happy with arcs and subplots going twelve issues or more. However, if we're talking about hero A vs. villain B, anything over three (four if it's MAJOR) seems padded. Many TV shows have B plots which can be adjusted to fit the time in the A plot leaves behind.

The only real detailed answer I have is "It depends".

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    There really isn't a set length, at least not in my opinion. And the question would depend a lot more on the definition of "storyline" than anything else. I am perfectly happy with arcs and subplots going twelve issues or more. However, if we're talking about hero A vs. villain B, anything over three (four if it's MAJOR) seems padded. Many TV shows have B plots which can be adjusted to fit the time in the A plot leaves behind.

The only real detailed answer I have is "It depends".
    For an immediate conflict, I'd say 3-4 is the sweet spot.

One of those year-long arcs with big reveals and dramatic plot points really has to pay off. And the more common they've become, I think the less gratifying the payoff is.

It's questions like this that lead to all those damned padded stories that are specifically written to tpb collections . . .

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    For an immediate conflict, I'd say 3-4 is the sweet spot.

One of those year-long arcs with big reveals and dramatic plot points really has to pay off. And the more common they've become, I think the less gratifying the payoff is.
    I agree. 3-4 should be the average.

2 is good every once in awhile for those short and sweet ones. 5 for those more epic stories. But also only once in awhile.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

One of the best templates to follow, IMO, would be one that has a year-long arc (not a story, but rather a 'tone' with stuff going on in the background), that includes a good mix of one-issue and two-issue stories, with maybe one three- or four-issue story per year, preferably in the summer.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

As long or as short as it needs to be. Making it conform to a set number of issues can make the story feel either padded or rushed. Just let the story play out.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, my opinion goes all over the place. Some of my favorite story arcs:

Justice League of America "No Man Escapes The Manhunters" - 10 GIANT issues (139-146,149-150) Just right but left me wanting more
    Legion of Super Heroes "The Great Darkness Saga" - 5 issues (290-294) - Just right. Any more and I think it would've went on too long. Some may count the prologue and cameos in other issues
    New Teen Titans "The Judas Contract" - 4 issues (although the story had been building for months 42-44 & Annual) - Just right
    Crisis On Infinite Earths - 12 issues (1-12). Too long. While a beautiful story, I was exhausted by the end of this.
    Legion of Super Heroes "Who Is Sensor Girl - 4 issues (14, 24-26 although there were clues scattered through several more issues) - Just right. Had it gone on much longer, it would've gotten old.
    Superman (and other books) "Death and Return of Superman" - I lost count of how many issues - definitely too long but at the same time, I didn't want it to end. Very emotional. Go figure.
    Kingdom Come - 4 issues (5 if you count the epilogue in most collections 1-4) Just right. Definitely left me wanting more
    Batman "The Long Halloween - 13 issues - Just right. The pacing of this story was pitch perfect and did not drag for me at all
    JSA "The Hunt For Extant" - 3 issues - too short. Wish it would've played out for one or two more issues. Great story and art.
    Justice - 12 issues - too long. The art was beautiful, the story was good. A serious "Challenge of the Super Friends" was a dream come true. However, just too many characters and too much filler

Retired

The original "Monster Society of Evil" written by Otto Binder was 25 chapters. The first chapter in CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES 22 (March 26 1943) and the last chapter in CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES 46 (May 1945).

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It really depends on the story being told and how well it keeps me interested along the way. I’ll gladly read a 50 or 100 issue long epic if the writer can keep me engaged throughout and (of course) needs those issues to do it justice.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Depends on the storyline, but I hope to get back to the days when your average story took up the length of an issue.

Four. Any more and you're just being self-indulgent. Any fewer and it wasn't a good enough idea to warrant putting on paper.

(yes, I'm joking... the answer really is, "it depends" but the trick is making sure you tell the story with exactly the number of issues it takes without padding)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    One of the best templates to follow, IMO, would be one that has a year-long arc (not a story, but rather a 'tone' with stuff going on in the background), that includes a good mix of one-issue and two-issue stories, with maybe one three- or four-issue story per year, preferably in the summer.
    Nice response. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

However long the writer needs. No more, no less. Batman Year One only needed four, but the Long Halloween needed 13.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 02-11-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

It isn’t 4 or 5 in most cases it’s 3. Most stories I feel can be told in 3 issues. With a beginning middle and end issue. Only the big multi character crossovers need more then that. Multi character crossovers should be 10 issues. I feel the template for these kind of stories was Crisis on infinite earths. That was 12 issues, and I felt it was a little bloated towards the end. So cutting 2 issues from it would make it run a little more briskly.