Incredible Member

Default THEY SIT AND TALK: Rick Sanchez and Granny Weatherwax

(10 character limit)

Rick masks his insecurities and flaws with his snarkiness, but I somehow doubt that kind of thing is fooling Granny for one second, she verbally torches him, and there really isn't anything similar he can do to her that she'd care about.

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Rick was reduced to silently pouting by a half minute assessment from a normal therapist. A conversation with Granny Weatherwax might just be fatal for him. Honestly, I don't see Rick lasting in any situation where he has to just sit and talk and can't do something kooky to escape it anyway. No pickle shenanigans, no booze, no interdimensional cable or memory guns. I get the sense that the real reason he can't deal with being bored is because then he actually starts thinking about his life. Like I realise this isn't a fight, but it's an untenable situation for Rick from the outset. He can't actually DO conversation if there's not life or death stakes involved, and I remember how Granny played Cripple Mr. Onion with the card sharks, and that makes me think she's just going to do a million little things to subtly get under his skin while he gets progressively more bored until he implodes.

And frankly, Granny Weatherwax completely destroying a smug tech guy is a story I'm sad we'll never get to see.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Yeah, Rick is far too emotionally fragile to be able to verbally tussle with Esme.

And he's egotistical and obnoxious enough that she would want to take him down a peg or two.

Is this situation one where after he is roasted, it might help Rick become a better person?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Friendship's Shockwave BitVyper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Yeah, Rick is far too emotionally fragile to be able to verbally tussle with Esme.

And he's egotistical and obnoxious enough that she would want to take him down a peg or two.
    I appreciate the 10 Vigilant Gaze avatar.

As for making Rick a better person, I think he's more likely to destroy himself than make any positive change in his life. He's proven time and again the lengths he'll go to for that. Besides that, he frequently treats people like "things," which is generally the one unforgivable sin in Pratchett's morality.
    I am a mighty wizard from magic lands

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Is this situation one where after he is roasted, it might help Rick become a better person?
    Esme is perceptive enough to see just how deeply broken inside Rick is and how much self-hatred and anger there is in there. She'll probably do the thing of tearing him apart and leaving him with a chance to better himself but, given Rick's inherent self-destructiveness, I don't see him doing that. He's attempted suicide to one degree or another what... three or four times canonically in the show I think?

Quote Originally Posted by BitVyper View Post
    I appreciate the 10 Vigilant Gaze avatar.
    Thank you! KSBD fuggen slaps.

Horrible mismatch. Rick is so weak emotionally that normal people can destroy him in these sorts of purely social situations. A genuinely socially gifted character would crush him like an ant.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Horrible mismatch. Rick is so weak emotionally that normal people can destroy him in these sorts of purely social situations. A genuinely socially gifted character would crush him like an ant.
    I'm not saying that she won't destroy an egg as fragile as Rick in this scenario, but, in all fairness, while Esme Weatherwax can credibly be accused of being many things, "socially gifted" is probably not really one of them (unless you are trying to murder everyone whose every met her through laughter-based asphyxiation).

Granny very specifically can't stand Nanny Off, her best friend, and once abandoned civilization because a magpie stole her invitation so she thought that Magrat didn't care for her anymore (until she found out that Magrat had named her daughter Esmeralda after her).