John Buscema,

BANNED

Gil Kane,

or this late John Romita. But please not this early Ross Andru:

BANNED

gwen.jpg
    How about this one?

BANNED

The ever-inconsistent, bizarre, frequently annoying Gwen Stacy of 1965-1973.

Frequently a class snob, always on the verge of a nervous breakdown, definitely in need of therapy, wingnut-curious, daddy's girl, Gwen. They never quite knew what to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    But please not this early Ross Andru:

Huh...Andru brought back parts of the Ditko Gwen. Respect, my dude.

Say what you want, but at least Andru is drawing Gwen and MJ to look clearly different from each other whereas Romita just made Gwen into a MJ-clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post

or this late John Romita.
    Wow. Gotta say, I was never a Gwen fan, but that dress and hat...Girl is working it. Great find.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 03-12-2021 at 09:16 AM.

This thread is for appreciating Gwen Stacy, not commenting about each other. Anyone doing the latter will be receiving time off from the site.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Mighty Member

Dunno if this is relevant to 1965-1973 Gwen Stacy, but I really like Tim Sale's illustrations of classic Gwen. He made MJ and Gwen look distinctive, and found a happy medium between Romita Gwen and Ditko Gwen.

Although classic Gwen is most associated with miniskirts and go-go boots, Romita has said that he never liked Gwen wearing those mod party-girl fashions:

Stan used to accuse me of favoring Mary Jane over Gwen. He'd want me to make Gwen more glamorous. But Gwen was more serious, especially after her father [Captain Stacy] died. I kept telling Stan, "Gwen's a lady - she's not the same kind of airhead that Mary Jane is. I can't have her smiling all the time." When he had me start putting Gwen in mini-skirts, I didn't feel it was right for her. Pretty soon it was hard to tell Gwen and Mary Jane apart. They were like Betty and Veronica - the same girl except for the hair color.
    https://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/.../09romita.html

Though his statements are a bit questionable, I have to agree in terms of design. I think Gwen looked her best when she was wearing a classy stylish suit or dress, and she looked distinctive and quite glamorous too. If MJ was Ann-Margret, Gwen Stacy was (originally) a Hitchcock girl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Dunno if this is relevant to 1965-1973 Gwen Stacy, but I really like Tim Sale's illustrations of classic Gwen. He made MJ and Gwen look distinctive, and found a happy medium between Romita Gwen and Ditko Gwen.

Although classic Gwen is most associated with miniskirts and go-go boots, Romita has said that he never liked Gwen wearing those mod party-girl fashions:

https://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/.../09romita.html

Though his statements are a bit questionable, I have to agree in terms of design. I think Gwen looked her best when she was wearing a classy stylish suit or dress, and she looked distinctive and quite glamorous too. If MJ was Ann-Margret, Gwen Stacy was (originally) a Hitchcock girl.

Agreed with this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Not really, being a flashback story (AU?) and thus... revisionist. That aside, you chose my favorite panel of the whole mini, so I'm not complaining. Sale's version reminds me a lot of the early Romita depicted in the second example of the first post.

BTW, nice quote. I can see where both of them were coming from. Stan wanted to update the character to keep her relevant and Romita didn't. The question I'd pose to him would be "why?". Was it just a question of being loyal to the original? If so, he shouldn't have changed Peter either. I think he just had a pony in the race.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    This thread is for appreciating Gwen Stacy, not commenting about each other. Anyone doing the latter will be receiving time off from the site.
    And you consider what the post above yours does, is "appreciating"?

BTW, the only thing Celgress did was warn me about falling for certain traps (not so much character assassination), I told him I was aware, but I see now what he really meant.

A TPB of the Gwen Stacy mini that was interrupted by COVID has been listed on Amazon. Looks like we can expect the remaining issues to be re-solicited soon.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gwen...n-action-list/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman