Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    "disproven as some exaggerated hoax"

I don't know what you mean.
    It was in reference to the Gwen Mexico cover you exercepted. To quote myself fully, with proper context.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    (And the Mexican thing has been disproven as some exaggerated hoax)
    The Mexican Gwen Stacy thing i.e. they published issues where they were married were dream sequences for the Mexican market to pad the issues out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    "The relationship between Pete and Gwen had been through a lot of inconsequential ups and downs, and unless the two were to be married, there was nowhere else to take it. But marriage seemed wrong, too. Peter just wasn't ready. So Gerry, Roy and Stan debated the question... All had reached the same inescapable conclusion. Gwen's death was simply fated to happen. Events had shaped themselves in such a way that their only logical resolution was tragedy. So don't blame Gerry. Don't blame Stan. Don't blame anyone. Only the inscrutable, inexorable workings of circumstance are culpable this time."

(An editorial comment that appeared in ASM Vol. 1 #126.)
    Which was quite obviously a post-issue CYA comment given by the editor, in this case, Roy Thomas, to the reader to defend the story in the wake of a public outcry (including letters calling for Conway's death openly printed on the letters' pages).

Gerry Conway who was the writer on ASM said that if there was no plans to kill Gwen, he'd simply break Peter and Gwen up anyway.

Mighty Member

Not surprising, MJ was an all Romita design, while Gwen had to transition from Ditko, who was great at many things, but not romance comics.

Maybe if Stan had not pestered Romita about her looks, the latter wouldn't have been as inclined to accept Conway's proposal, when it came to writing her off. It would've have been interesting to see Romita follow his own criteria, I certainly liked the Gwen he drew in the late 40's. Maybe that's what he wanted?
    Yeah, I would say the way Gwen appeared throughout the 40s (up until about 47 or so) may have been what Romita intended Gwen Stacy to look like. After that, Lee's influence became more apparent.

Perhaps Romita would have felt more ownership over Gwen had he been given more creative free reign over her design. But Gwen was a Ditko creation, and (it seems that) Lee quickly began dictating how the character should look. Regardless, Romita's aesthetic ultimately defined Gwen Stacy's look.
    Last edited by Spider-Tiger; 03-13-2021 at 04:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Mexican Gwen Stacy thing i.e. they published issues where they were married were dream sequences for the Mexican market to pad the issues out.

A dream is not a hoax. BTW, thnx for the video, I had not read that issue, itch scratched.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Perhaps Romita would have felt more ownership over Gwen had he been given more creative free reign over her design. But Gwen was a Ditko creation, and (it seems that) Lee quickly began dictating how the character should look. Regardless, Romita's aesthetic ultimately defined Gwen Stacy's look.
    Yeah, curious how Lee loving the character worked against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    "The relationship between Pete and Gwen had been through a lot of inconsequential ups and downs, and unless the two were to be married, there was nowhere else to take it. But marriage seemed wrong, too. Peter just wasn't ready. So Gerry, Roy and Stan debated the question... All had reached the same inescapable conclusion. Gwen's death was simply fated to happen. Events had shaped themselves in such a way that their only logical resolution was tragedy. So don't blame Gerry. Don't blame Stan. Don't blame anyone. Only the inscrutable, inexorable workings of circumstance are culpable this time."

(An editorial comment that appeared in ASM Vol. 1 #126.)
    Reminds me of a saying we have here, it goes something like "all together they killed her and then she died on her own". It talks about responsibility and the desire to avoid it, so much for the character's motto.
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 03-14-2021 at 12:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    This thread is for appreciating Gwen Stacy, not commenting about each other. Anyone doing the latter will be receiving time off from the site.
    And you consider what the post above yours does, is "appreciating"?

BTW, the only thing Celgress did was warn me about falling for certain traps (not so much character assassination), I told him I was aware, but I see now what he really meant.

A TPB of the Gwen Stacy mini that was interrupted by COVID has been listed on Amazon. Looks like we can expect the remaining issues to be re-solicited soon.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/gwen...n-action-list/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    A TPB of the Gwen Stacy mini that was interrupted by COVID has been listed on Amazon. Looks like we can expect the remaining issues to be re-solicited soon.
    God please no.

I read the 2 issues and it was horrible.

And from the solicits via link it gets worse.

So we get 2 boyfriend including Flash but no Peter.And we have Norman Osborn and Gwen working closely.No just......... no.

I feel like this mini should have been used for a)giving good modern dialogue to Peter and Gwen's relationship while adding to it.Plus more Gwen focused charecterization

b)Retcon Sins Past by establishing a clone or something.

I thought it was weird they canceled a mini halfway through.

I wonder if they'll re-release the last few issues of Amazing Mary Jane as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    God please no.

I read the 2 issues and it was horrible.

And from the solicits via link it gets worse.

So we get 2 boyfriend including Flash but no Peter.And we have Norman Osborn and Gwen working closely.No just......... no.

I feel like this mini should have been used for a)giving good modern dialogue to Peter and Gwen's relationship while adding to it.Plus more Gwen focused charecterization

b)Retcon Sins Past by establishing a clone or something.
    It could've been many things, but it ended up being what it was. And what it was didn't come as a surprise, given the names involved in the project.

At least they finish it, one way or another, which will be good news for those who might've enjoyed it (?!).

Whether the character benefits from such exposure, though, is another matter entirely.

Extraordinary Member

It could've been many things, but it ended up being what it was. And what it was didn't come as a surprise, given the names involved in the project.

At least they finish it, one way or another, which will be good news for those who might've enjoyed it (?!).

Whether the character benefits from such exposure, though, is another matter entirely.
    I don't mind a Gwen mini at all.Just wanted it to build her character and her relationship with Pete since it's one that didn't get much time.
    I didn't see a positive review for this but if someone is enjoying it then good for them.
    I mean the daily bugle mini and the AMJ was much better and they got shot and we are left with Gwen with 2 guys who aren't part of her main relationship and Norman Fing Osborn.I think they will use ITSV2 to sell this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I thought it was weird they canceled a mini halfway through.

I wonder if they'll re-release the last few issues of Amazing Mary Jane as well.
    Wasn't that explicitly cancelled?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Some people are shameless. Notice how they go from: "Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn’s Kids Will Return" (in the title) to "The children of Norman Osborn and Gwen Stacy from one of the most hated Spider-Man stories ever could make a reappearance in Marvel Comics soon." in the subtitle.

Obviously, speculation doesn't work as well as leaked info, so they try to dress it as such at first.

Extraordinary Member

Some people are shameless. Notice how they go from: "Gwen Stacy and Norman Osborn’s Kids Will Return" (in the title) to "The children of Norman Osborn and Gwen Stacy from one of the most hated Spider-Man stories ever could make a reappearance in Marvel Comics soon." in the subtitle.

Obviously, speculation doesn't work as well as leaked info, so they try to dress it as such at first.
    Agreed, but what they say is what a lot of fans have been saying(they probably copied it) and makes sense.

Publication date set! January?
    https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/statu...01546089242624

Extraordinary Member

Now that Sins Past has been retconned, I wonder how they will play out Norman interacting w/Gwen.Many speculated this was justifying Sins Past, they better take all of that out, if it was there in the first place.
    Other than that, it's just an OOC Gwen, w/ a boyfriend we don't care about and who's suddenly a detective.It's basically a discount Emma Frost series .
    Love 616 Gwen, why didn't we make this a life mini life story style thing.All the events up until her death, most of what we've seen and some which we haven't by her prespective. Instead of changing her character to suit your story justify her actions.As people have pointed out before, this isn't Gwen at all.