Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Oh hey, Mexican Gwen, I now have a half assed excuse to post this:

Those big butts cannot lie.
    TASM Gwen feels more like MJ combined with Gwen's alledged scientist side anyways.
    What if Spectacular Gwen was played by Emma Stone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    There are some parallels between TASM Gwen and 1610 MJ IIRC
    She definitely took the confidante role from Ultimate MJ.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Those big butts cannot lie.

Facts

TASM seems like a great twist on the 616 thing.She knew who Peter was before her father's death and thus that's how it played out.That's how I feel adaptations can change stuff, it's a big twist but it's still her character reacting to diff. circumstances.Spider-gwen is nothing like Gwen, she's not a Gwen in anything other than name.Again can work as an alt. universe and it does but when you bring her into 616 or adapt into insomniac it just messes it up.

Yeah she helps out Peter with stuff and knows his secret identity, I don't think MJ helped out much before marriage, so TASM Gwen picks the "Knows Spidey's secret early on" from Ultimate MJ.

What if Spectacular Gwen was played by Emma Stone?
    Then the cartoon would not have budget to have great animation, actors are expensive lol.

Just annoying that between TASM Gwen and Michelle, they get MJ's character traits to look better lol.

TASM seems like a great twist on the 616 thing.She knew who Peter was before her father's death and thus that's how it played out.That's how I feel adaptations can change stuff, it's a big twist but it's still her character reacting to diff. circumstances.Spider-gwen is nothing like Gwen, she's not a Gwen in anything other than name.Again can work as an alt. universe and it does but when you bring her into 616 or adapt into insomniac it just messes it up.
    Too bad her father was screwed over in TASM.

Also man, too bad that once Romita prettied up Gwen, he made her lose the Ditko eyebrows, they were so epic:

Legit only started to read Ditko's run to see more of her eyebrows... Then I stayed both for the eyebrows and the master planner trilogy.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-04-2021 at 11:19 AM.

Oh hey, Mexican Gwen, I now have a half assed excuse to post this:

I mean, he didn't fail at catching her .

TASM Gwen feels more like MJ combined with Gwen's alledged scientist side anyways.
    Liar, this is bot half assed, this is full on ass.....

I'll see myself out
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I could swear that there were a couple of scenes with Gwen in the movies that were similar to a couple of Ultimate MJ moments in the comics.
    Last edited by TheCape; 10-04-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I will never forget the wonders of Ghost Dad...

Extraordinary Member

Yeah she helps out Peter with stuff and knows his secret identity, I don't think MJ helped out much before marriage, so TASM Gwen picks the "Knows Spidey's secret early on" from Ultimate MJ.

Just annoying that between TASM Gwen and Michelle, they get MJ's character traits to look better lol.

Also man, too bad that once Romita prettied up Gwen, he made her lose the Ditko eyebrows, they were so epic:

Legit only started to read Ditko's run to see more of her eyebrows... Then I stayed both for the eyebrows and the master planner trilogy.
    It's def from 1610, 616 didn't help until a lot later.

Fr, still want to see TASM MJ, I think she would have been great.

Shame

And yeah, the eyebrows.Can't forget them

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I could swear that there were a couple of scenes with Gwen in the movies that were similar to a couple of Ultimate MJ moments in the comics.
    Yeah, I think the cleaning wounds scene is from 1610 MJ

Years ago (around the time when Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out) I got annoyed at people saying the original 616 Gwen had "no personality" or "was a nonentity" so I made a little batch of graphics to prove them wrong. Thought you guys might like 'em.

gwen1.jpg
    gwen2.jpg
    gwen3.jpg
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

(There's more!)

gwen4.jpg
    gwen5.jpg
    gwen6.jpg

I'll probably update them one of these days.
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    Years ago (around the time when Amazing Spider-Man 2 came out) I got annoyed at people saying the original 616 Gwen had "no personality" or "was a nonentity" so I made a little batch of graphics to prove them wrong. Thought you guys might like 'em.

gwen1.jpg
    gwen2.jpg
    gwen3.jpg
    Thanks, you're a real one.

The thing is she had so little time time to develop and in that era as well, MJ wasn't much better till then.Heck MJ's biggest change showed after and because of Gwen's death, even mentioned as such is Spider-man blue.

I love MJ but Gwen was a good character and deserves all the love.So glad Sins Past isn't canon anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Liar, this is bot half assed, this is full on ass.....

I'll see myself out
    It's baffling this is the first time someone made this joke when I posted this picture of Mexican Gwen lol.

The thing is she had so little time time to develop and in that era as well, MJ wasn't much better till then.Heck MJ's biggest change showed after and because of Gwen's death, even mentioned as such is Spider-man blue.
    When it comes to character development, MJ was just as one dimensional as Gwen, it's just that while Gwen's personality is largely defined by Peter, MJ's was largely defined by being easy going.

Arguably you can say MJ was even worse, since Gwen did show bigger emotional range at least.

Ultimately what made MJ the most interesting one is that she was less generic and less irritating to read, 'cause the relationship with Gwen got too much cheap drama and not enough happy moments with Peter, that and whenever they did get happy moments it was just the "Oh I love him/her so much" generic nonsense.

Gwen wasn't the only victim from the relationship too, Peter's character also got fucked over whenever he was talking to her or thinking about her, they didn't really interact as people and just kept thinking or saying how much they love each other too much, Peter obviously was less affected because he had other stuff to do, but he still got screwed, the relationship is this reverse symbiotic relationship where there are no real benefits to either of their characters lol.

Basically, Lee and Romita were lazy, real lazy, and honestly? If MJ was the chosen character to be with Peter when they were writing, she'd likely get fucked over too.

Extraordinary Member

It's baffling this is the first time someone made this joke when I posted this picture of Mexican Gwen lol.

When it comes to character development, MJ was just as one dimensional as Gwen, it's just that while Gwen's personality is largely defined by Peter, MJ's was largely defined by being easy going.

Arguably you can say MJ was even worse, since Gwen did show bigger emotional range at least.

Ultimately what made MJ the most interesting one is that she was less generic and less irritating to read, 'cause the relationship with Gwen got too much cheap drama and not enough happy moments with Peter, that and whenever they did get happy moments it was just the "Oh I love him/her so much" generic nonsense.

Gwen wasn't the only victim from the relationship too, Peter's character also got fucked over whenever he was talking to her or thinking about her, they didn't really interact as people and just kept thinking or saying how much they love each other too much, Peter obviously was less affected because he had other stuff to do, but he still got screwed, the relationship is this reverse symbiotic relationship where there are no real benefits to either of their characters lol.

Basically, Lee and Romita were lazy, real lazy, and honestly? If MJ was the chosen character to be with Peter when they were writing, she'd likely get fucked over too.
    Agreed, at the time they were equal or close enough IMO.
    Defined by Peter and Spider-man > Just a Party girl.Ofc MJ would go on to get much much better.

MJ's apparent shallow-ness built into it being a facade to protect her emotionally, so it all worked out in the end .

Extraordinary Member

MJ's apparent shallow-ness built into it being a facade to protect her emotionally, so it all worked out in the end .
    Exactly, it worked out since she got time which lead to development.And Gwen's death was a big catalyst towards that as well, it works out IMO.
    Gwen being Peter's first, her death leads to the MJ getting serious in life, you have Black Cat for the Spider-man side gf and then it ends w/ PeterMJ marriage.

Also on another note I consider Blue canon(some don't, so I guess it's headcanon) and think Gwen was Peter's first and vice versa.And I think MJ dated/made out w/ a lot of people but her first was Peter, just because I feel that's something she wouldn't do unless she's in a serious relationship w/ someone she loves(The whole facade thing).

It plays into the whole Gwen and Peter while they had their troubles were a much more simpler and innocent couple(as in people) but MJ and Peter's was realistic and mature which makes it more beautiful.

Defined by Peter and Spider-man > Just a Party girl.Ofc MJ would go on to get much much better.
    Eh, being defined by a love interest did Gwen less favors than anything, 'cause even if she had more depth than MJ back then, it's really not much of a feat, and being a more fun character can take you far.

Perks of not being dead .