Default Sanderson "Sandy" Hawkins (Sandy the GA / Sand / Sandman) Appreciation 2021

from JSA Secret Files #1 (August 1999)

First appearance (as a younger Sandy): Adventure Comics #69 (December 1941)

To be continued . . .

It appears that the last Golden Age story for Sandman was in Adventure Comics #102 (cover-dated February-March 1946), and (with the exception of reprinted stories) it looks like that would be the last appearance of Sandy the Golden Boy.

But then came Justice League of America #113 (September-October 1974) and the annual JLA/JSA team-up.

to be continued . . .

from Justice Society of America #3 (April 2007)

Hands down the best Sandman in my book.

I love Sandy but that last scan is hilarious. "And bring me my blanket and teddy bear."

Sandy helped kick start the modern JSA but towards the end of that era it seemed like they had no idea what to do with him. Then the Nu52 hit.

After it was revealed in Justice League of America #113 (September-October 1974) that Sandy had been turned into a silicon-based being, it took until DC Comics Presents #47 (July 1982) for him to regain a human form.

I like the Sandy at the the of the page. Plain, simple, street level but very cool. No silicon. No dream powers. Just bare bones gas gun and grappling gun. The last Sandy got to weirded out and became to distant with his dream powers. He was a totally different Sandy from the no powers Sandy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I like the Sandy at the the of the page. Plain, simple, street level but very cool. No silicon. No dream powers. Just bare bones gas gun and grappling gun. The last Sandy got to weirded out and became to distant with his dream powers. He was a totally different Sandy from the no powers Sandy.
    The problem some might have had with the "no powers" Sandy was that he was originally just another generic kid sidekick . . . and even worse, he was one of many kids who's code name was actually the same as his civilian name!

I think the silicon-based powers were interesting, but giving him Wes' dreams / nightmares after Infinite Crisis / "One Year Later" may have been a bit too much for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The problem some might have had with the "no powers" Sandy was that he was originally just another generic kid sidekick . . . and even worse, he was one of many kids who's code name was actually the same as his civilian name!

I think the silicon-based powers were interesting, but giving him Wes' dreams / nightmares after Infinite Crisis / "One Year Later" may have been a bit too much for the character.
    He just seemed to spaced out with those dream/nightmare powers. It gave him a haunted persona.