Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Popular/Lauded Comic Runs You Personally Dislike?

Hello, everyone. I was wondering, are there any highly revered comic runs you personally don’t like? Not that you think it’s bad. You recognize why the accolades are received, but you don’t like it for your own reasons. Are there any such for you and what is about them that prevents you from adding to the praise?

1. The Ultimates, because the Avengers are portrayed as cynical unlikeable characters.
    2. Disassembled/House of M, because Scarlet Witch was ruined by the story.
    3. Dark Phoenix Saga, because I didn't want Jean to be evil.

Astonishing Member

I have trouble enjoying Spencer's run of Spider-Man. Even taking into account the pandemic, it feels like nothing has happened during his run. You could start at the Kindred reveal and not miss anything. It doesn't help that the run itself feels like a giant retread of past Spider-Man stories.

I was already underwhelmed by the original "Kraven's Last Hunt" so seeing him rehash it didn't make me enjoy it any more.

All the characters feel very cookie-cutter, and I'm sick and tired of seeing CAPSLOCK!Peter.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Bendis and Hickman's Avengers. Morrison's X-Men.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I tried reading Annihilation and all of its tie-ins - I simply could not get into it.

I only picked it up because everyone here kept saying how amazing it was, but I found it way too melodramatic.

This was also the reason why I couldn't get into Claremont's X-Men, it felt like drama through the eyes of a 12 year old.

I mean I get it they're "funny" books aimed at literal children; but it was too tedious to read with the sheer amounts of text on page - I would have rather read a book by Claremont

Fantastic Member

Infinity Gauntlet.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Bendis’s Avengers, X-Men, and Iron Man.
    Morrison’s X-Men.
    Ennis’s Punisher.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Spectacular Member

Morrison's X-Men

I liked his writing but I just did not like the art at all. On Scott and Jean it looked awful and the writing while decent wasn't enough to make me continue with the book

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    ... Morrison's X-Men.
    ^^^same.
    Hickman’s X-Men, currently.

1) Claremont's Excalibur: Featuring two of my absolutely favourite characters, Brian Braddock and Rachel Summers, drawn by one of my favourite artists, Alan Davis, I thought if Claremont could recapture some of his old talent this would be one of my favourite comics. I ended up hating it (except for that gorgeous art!). Brian Braddock absolutely trashed, Rachel Summers almost a totally different character, Meggan practically lobotomised, and Kitty, who I used to really like, just fawned over by the writer.

2)Aaron's Thor run, excluding The God Butcher saga: the two arcs following the Gorr stuff lost my interest completely; the Jane arcs I thought told a good story with good emotional beats, but... Aaron had to mangle characters and continuity to make his story work. Would have been a good creator-owned project using non-Marvel characters, but as a Thor fan I really hated it.

3) Tom King's Vision: I'd heard it was great, I bought it, I just don't get it. It felt like a re-tread of all those Star Trek Data/holographic doctor episodes I didn't find interesting the first time around. Plus, I felt it made the Avengers out of character in order to make the Vision more sympathetic. I didn't hate it, I just didn't find it interesting.

4) Daredevil Born Again: Sacrilege I know. Read it relatively recently and was a bit underwhelmed. Again, I don't hate it, but there are many other DD stories I like better.

Morrison pretty much ruined the X-men.

Bendis did the same for the Avengers.

Warren Ellis's runs on X-Force and Thor were also pure garbage.

I really didnt like the Skrull/Kree war from the Avengers. Just a dumb ending with Rick sending out all the Golden Age heroes from his mind or some goofy crap.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    1) Claremont's Excalibur: Featuring two of my absolutely favourite characters, Brian Braddock and Rachel Summers, drawn by one of my favourite artists, Alan Davis, I thought if Claremont could recapture some of his old talent this would be one of my favourite comics. I ended up hating it (except for that gorgeous art!). Brian Braddock absolutely trashed, Rachel Summers almost a totally different character, Meggan practically lobotomised, and Kitty, who I used to really like, just fawned over by the writer.

2)Aaron's Thor run, excluding The God Butcher saga: the two arcs following the Gorr stuff lost my interest completely; the Jane arcs I thought told a good story with good emotional beats, but... Aaron had to mangle characters and continuity to make his story work. Would have been a good creator-owned project using non-Marvel characters, but as a Thor fan I really hated it.

3) Tom King's Vision: I'd heard it was great, I bought it, I just don't get it. It felt like a re-tread of all those Star Trek Data/holographic doctor episodes I didn't find interesting the first time around. Plus, I felt it made the Avengers out of character in order to make the Vision more sympathetic. I didn't hate it, I just didn't find it interesting.

4) Daredevil Born Again: Sacrilege I know. Read it relatively recently and was a bit underwhelmed. Again, I don't hate it, but there are many other DD stories I like better.
    Not sacrilege. Not at all.

Ta-Nahesi Coates run on Black Panther. All of it. Just basically made T’Challa a bitch made sad sack that constantly needs his hand held by his supporting cast and was famously upstaged by storm in the second arc. Thank god it’s all ending soon.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

D&A's Nova.