Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Civil War....I think they just arbitrarily put heroes on one side or the other. The one thing that came out of left field IMO was Reed being almost subservient to Tony

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Morrison's X-Men. To me it was just Morrison doing a greatest hits retred of past arcs. Sentinels - Check. Shi'ar - Check. Alternate Future - Check. Evil Magneto - Check. Killing Jean - Check. Everything he did for the most part was just doing darker updated versions of Claremonts run. Why people think it is so original is beyond me.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The only critically acclaimed run that comes to mind is Lee/Ditko's Spider-man. Generally I'm not a fan of the style of most things from that era and this was no exception.

Same goes for Claremont's X-men but to a lesser extent.

Extraordinary Member

Mark Waid's Daredevil run. I love Waid (Superman Birthright, his Flash and Impulse runs, and Kingdom Come are some of my favorite stories ever) and I understood his approach to the character and his world, but it'd just not a direction I care for for Matt.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The only critically acclaimed run that comes to mind is Lee/Ditko's Spider-man. Generally I'm not a fan of the style of most things from that era and this was no exception.

Same goes for Claremont's X-men but to a lesser extent.
    That's natural. A lot of the characters act differently than their current incarnations.

It was interesting to me how Marvel Age: Spider-Man's tone was different despite more or less being the exact same series.

Mighty Member

While I like it, I don't think Claremont's run on X-Men is as good as People say it is.
    I recently read Days of future past and while I enjoyed it, I couldn't help but notice this is a story that probably would have worked better with modern standards.
    Bryne's art is amazing and it really holds the comic together, but Claremont just doesn't know when to stop talking and let the comic breath. Weirdly enough, this could have done with less writing and it being one more issue, I would have been happy if the first part was entirely set in the future where we get what the World is like and seeing how the X-Men live in the camps, there's a few opportunities for some good story telling that never gets used.
    I actually think the movie and the 90's cartoon did it better.
    I get I'm talking more about a single story rather than an entire run, but for how lauded and popular the story is, I feel there are much better X-Men comics that even Claremont wrote.
    I consider God Loves, Man kills the be the superior Claremont X-Men book and honestly, both Morrison and Remender did their own versions of the story so much better.

Also, while I still love it to death, Lee/Romita's Spider-man is inferior to Lee/Ditko. I like Romita's style and art and at times we get some truly beautiful imagery (like that famous page from #50), but for me, I prefer Ditko's more somber tonne with a measly looking Peter Parker. Peter looks too buff and handsome in Romita's run.
    There's also large sections of the run which come across as being more forgettable, maybe it's unfair because a lot of great villains debuted during Ditko's tenure, but outside of Mary-jane's debut, those early Rhino issues are largely forgettable.
    The Spider-man amnesia saga drags on way too long, and so does the Life Tablet Saga, I feel like both story arcs could have justified their lengths if they were more focused on a singular villain.

Hickman’s X-men. Cold as ice. X-men just empty puppets without a soul.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Civil War....I think they just arbitrarily put heroes on one side or the other. The one thing that came out of left field IMO was Reed being almost subservient to Tony
    Didn't most people hate this series even when it came out?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Hickman’s X-men. Cold as ice. X-men just empty puppets without a soul.
    This too. I was super excited when this run was announced, but I haven't loved it so far.

Can someone explain to me what happens to the souls of these mutants when they are resurrected? Souls exist in the Marvel Universe. There are many examples of souls being sold, people going to Heaven or Hell, etc. So what happens to the souls of resurrected mutants? As far as I can tell, Cerebro just backs up their minds. So are the revived X-characters just clones with the memories and personalities of their templates? That is the impression I'm getting at least.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Didn't most people hate this series even when it came out?
    You couldn't tell from the sales. It was the top seller in 2006. This was when Bendis & Millar still had a lot of fans and they were riding off of the success of launching the Ultimate Universe. Probably like me, a lot of people bought it so that they could talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    This too. I was super excited when this run was announced, but I haven't loved it so far.

Can someone explain to me what happens to the souls of these mutants when they are resurrected? Souls exist in the Marvel Universe. There are many examples of souls being sold, people going to Heaven or Hell, etc. So what happens to the souls of resurrected mutants? As far as I can tell, Cerebro just backs up their minds. So are the revived X-characters just clones with the memories and personalities of their templates? That is the impression I'm getting at least.
    It would be really cool to see a story where the Xmen and mutants who had been resurrected have to fight a demon or someone who trapped their souls when they died.

Or the mutants start acting odd because they have no souls and have to find a way to get them back.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Morrison's X-Men. To me it was just Morrison doing a greatest hits retred of past arcs. Sentinels - Check. Shi'ar - Check. Alternate Future - Check. Evil Magneto - Check. Killing Jean - Check. Everything he did for the most part was just doing darker updated versions of Claremonts run. Why people think it is so original is beyond me.
    It was the same formula he did on his JLA run, but unlike the X-Men, he understands who the members of the JLA are as fleshed out characters.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Morrison pretty much ruined the X-men.

Bendis did the same for the Avengers.
    Neither franchise has ever been the same since these two, that's for sure.

While there are aspects of Morrison's X-Men that I liked, as far as I'm concerned the Avengers died waaay back in 1996 with #402. It's a shame they had to go out with a whimper thanks to the Onslaught mess...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Neither franchise has ever been the same since these two, that's for sure.

While there are aspects of Morrison's X-Men that I liked, as far as I'm concerned the Avengers died waaay back in 1996 with #402. It's a shame they had to go out with a whimper thanks to the Onslaught mess...
    Even Busiek’s run?
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Even Busiek’s run?
    D'oh!

Edit: The Avengers died when Busiek left.

And while I did like Geoff Johns' run, it was far from his best work, or the best Avengers stories. We won't even mention Austen's forgettable foray.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES