Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The Dark Phoenix Saga- I think you just had to be there every month back then to get caught up in the soap opera and surprises. Art is great but the dialog is so wordy and it feels never-ending.

Kree/Skrull War- One of those early crossovers which was always cited, refenced, and had huge implications. But when I finally read it in my Marvel chronology project, it was such a let down.

Just giving my initial feelings, no offense meant!

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    While I follow it for the the endgame I'm kinda mixed on Hickman's X-men for the reasons stated. It just doesn't make sense that you can put Apocalypse, Sinister, Shaw, Mystique on the governing body and there is no riot about it in Krakoa as if those guys have never hurt mutants before while one funded the sentinels and the other used mutants as lab rats in the past. It's also funny Jean was on the council alongside Sinister considering the Maddy situation.
    Hickman is a work on development. I'm not liking it but who knows if it gets better specially adressing villains that are nazis on Krakoa.

Morrison's run on the X-Men. Total lack of character understanding
    Bendis on the Avengers. Just became unreadable very soon
    Winter Soldier. I prefer Bucky dying during WWII
    JMS on Spider-Man.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is my main problem with the Krakoa nation. There should be plenty of mutants there that would flat out refuse to work with monsters like Sinister (AN ACTUAL GODAMMEND NAZI) and Apocalypse but they keep selling this "all is forgiven because were mutants" nonsense. I kinda hope that one day it is revealled that Xavier (who lets face it is pretty damn shady himself these days) has been influencing people all along to go along with working with these evil bastards. It would redeem a lot of characters in my eyes to know they were not just willingly going along with it in the name of mutant brotherhood.

I think this would be a great story. make Xavier like a big time villain. How do you stop a guy with that mind? With Cerebro? With a warehouse of Mutant DNA and and stuff he would mess with with Sinister. I mean who knows what kind of memories he would put in the new bodies that would make them work for him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

70s classic Dr. Strange - I think Englement and Claremont wrote a lot of this, very repetitive with demons from some other dimension wanting to possess people, that's like almost every story. It got so annoying, this was not what I was expecting.

70s Ghost Rider - I think Michael Fleischer wrote most of this, not a fan of this at all. A lot of the stories revolved around his motorcycle stunts and his circus. Not enough went to actual ghost rider stuff, the the villains were not memorable at all.

Jason Arron's Wolverine and the X-Men - I just don't get it, I love Aaron's solo Wolverine stuff, but what the hell is this? It's written like a sitcom....maybe that was the point. But I didn't like it.

G Willow Wilson Ms.Marvel - This was decent but way overrated, some of the stories were just terrible, never understood what the hype was.

Heroes for Hire/Power-Man - A lot of the stories and villains were just terrible.

Stan Lee's Silver Surfer - His first series which was maybe 18 issues. I didn't read the whole thing but the ones I have read were very underwhelming.

Slott's Superior Spider-Man - Some of the worst storytelling/dialogue out there.
    Last edited by LifeIsILL; 03-07-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Winter Soldier. I prefer Bucky dying during WWII
    Are you a fan of Nomad by any chance?
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It's consistently a point that a lot of villains on Krakoa are disliked but they are there because they are needed and the alternative is the eradication of their race because they can't be united. House of X and Powers of X is about how if they are not together they are all going to die, and in being together they are stronger and safer.

Americans love electing fascists, bigots, and corporate puppets, even when voting for them is directly against their own interests. So...

Recently read Secret Wars. Found it way too long. I didn’t appreciate some of the characterizations that seemingly changed to fit this story. The X-Men for one didn’t feel very X-Men as compared to what was going on in their books at the time.
    The first issues were a real drag to read for me. I didn’t feel the story got interesting until way later when Doom started being featured more as the new threat.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    This too. I was super excited when this run was announced, but I haven't loved it so far.

Can someone explain to me what happens to the souls of these mutants when they are resurrected? Souls exist in the Marvel Universe. There are many examples of souls being sold, people going to Heaven or Hell, etc. So what happens to the souls of resurrected mutants? As far as I can tell, Cerebro just backs up their minds. So are the revived X-characters just clones with the memories and personalities of their templates? That is the impression I'm getting at least.
    This is something I hope to see Way of X tackle. These are all questions that Nightcrawler would or should be asking.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I'll always love both Roger Stern & Ron Frenz, but my choice is Hobgoblin Lives (1997). Even though it's done by the OG writer & creator of Hobgoblin, I could never bring myself to embrace this version of the identity revelation.

spoilers:
    Perhaps if the rumors are true and Nicolas Cage does portray the Kingsley brothers in a dual role for a cinematic adaptation, then I might change my tune.
    end of spoilers

But for right now, my preference will always be the 80's version of the Hobgoblin identity revelation:

Didn't everyone hate Hobgoblin Lives? Or at least consider it too little too late? I know other than revealing Kingsley it was totally forgettable to me

Spectacular Member

A recent one would be both X-Men Red and All-New Wolverine. Everyone lauds Tom Taylor as this genius writer and these books were...….fine. I just really didn't get the hype. House of M is another that is naturally getting a lot of coverage thanks to Wandavision, and that's definitely a story I dislike. It's incredibly dull and slow paced, Bendis' "deus-ex-machina as a character" trope arguably started here with Layla Miller, and it ruined Scarlet Witch for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    Didn't everyone hate Hobgoblin Lives? Or at least consider it too little too late? I know other than revealing Kingsley it was totally forgettable to me
    Yeah, you're probably right. But at least to me, the artwork was rather memorable...

Most of Aaron's run on Thor. Hated. It.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlueElf94 View Post
    I loved it. It made sense to me after reading Stern's original arc. I love the Kingsley twins, slimy bastards.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Cate's inhumans
    In fairness, I'm not sure anyone loves Death of the Inhumans. I mean, I'm sure there are people who liked it as a concept but I think everyone found the story to at least be underwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Nice joke here. Austen was so awful that retailers asked for him being fired LOL
    So I finally got around to starting it. Honestly, it's not as bad as I was dreading (despite not being good). I think it suffered from being released at the same time as Grant Morrison (despite a lot of people here not liking that either). I find myself appreciating some of his ideas despite the terribly flawed execution. Also, the artist right now draws everyone with noses from Ocarina of Time and it's seriously distracting. That being said, I don't think anyone praises his run.

Anyway, since I haven't seen it yet, I'm going with Garth Ennis's original Punisher run. I haven't read his MAX stuff so maybe the extra seriousness will help, but I found the whole thing to be crude and sleazy. It was such a light-hearted glorification of violence that, for some reason, rubbed me the wrong way. It just seemed to glorify cruelty. Also, a lot of the characters seemed to be such caricatures that they bordered on offensive. Especially since one of them had a nickname that's a slur in the country Ennis is from. The Punisher isn't my cup of tea as a hero to begin with, but I found myself enjoying earlier takes on the character. This just felt too over the top.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?