Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default DC Characters If They Had Been Created Today

I once made a thread asking what if Wonder Woman was created today and then this got me thinking about how DC's characters would have been like if they were created today. For the purposes of this thread, the characters discussed would not be characters created in the 2000s and onwards so it only DC characters created from the 1930s to the 1990s would be discussed.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Superman - Either black or Mexican - Raised by an immigrant family too - Wait, actually, White Kents can still work if they wanna set an example

Batman - More middle-upper class than billionaire - More focus on proper mental health and class warfare - They already started with ACAB except for Gordon's men since the 80s so I expect that to continue - Gordon's men will probably not reach Commissioner rank but perpetually blocked by the corrupt chiefs and their backers

Robin - Dancer, Ice Skater, Olympic Gymnasts or Diver instead of a circus boy - Wait I don't know about the age limit - Basically celebrity level entertainer that's available to 8 to 12-year-old - So by dancer I mean like junior J-Pop or K-Pop trainee - I don't know if that kind of program exists in the US - But I don't know about the stereotype of Sexy Romani Dancer once he grows up - I'll come back to this later

Selina Kyle - We're going with the half Italian half Cuban and she's more visibly dark

Wonder Woman - Pretty much unchanged since sexism is still around

Hawkman - Egyptian every time he's reincarnated

Dr. Fate - Egyptian - Basically just adult Khalid

Alan Scott - They already change it to gay - I'm going with bi - Now what to do with Daniel - they're just boyfriends not fiancee - He doesn't die - They broke up

Artemis - Egyptian

Tim Drake - Crazy Rich Asian - I don't know why but I do like the recent headcanons that he's East Asian - Ryan Potter or not
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-02-2021 at 01:20 AM.

Lets see.

Batman- would probably be the same
    Superman- wouldn't have his personality, They are just aren't any pure white knight style characters any more
    Wonder Woman- She wouldn't have peace aspect about her so emphasize, You would probably get something close to Xena
    Aquaman- Would probably have Mera powers and have more connections to surfer stuff with lots of tattoos. I could see him being a different race
    Green Lantern- Hal and John get rings at same time, Green Lantern is a buddy cop series like Lethal Weapon
    Martian Manhunter- would also have different personality something more aggressive, He wouldn't have the superman powerset
    Hawkgirl- Would be more important
    Wally- would be the flash with Barry being his Uncle Ben for his story
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-02-2021 at 01:17 AM.

They’d be pretty awful, really, as DC tried desperately to pander to and appease everyone they possibly could.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    They’d be pretty awful, really, as DC tried desperately to pander to and appease everyone they possibly could.
    ^This guy gets it^
    If they'd been made today Dc would manage to strip the aspirational and iconic aspects away from them. As it is they don't seem to remember aside from a few sporadic writers
    here and there.
    Literally, I think i'd be pretty laughable trying gut everything that made the characters who they were in the first place. Then wonder why they flounder.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

God they would be terrible, let's see how much we can pander, kiss thst ass DC, be woke until your blue in the face ugh.

The originals, as in how they are now, are good ppl, good quality characters, there is nothing wrong with them(atleast not like this), so let them be the characters they are
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Robin - Dancer, Ice Skater, Olympic Gymnasts or Diver instead of a circus boy - Wait I don't know about the age limit - Basically celebrity level entertainer that's available to 8 to 12-year-old - So by dancer I mean like junior J-Pop or K-Pop trainee - I don't know if that kind of program exists in the US - But I don't know about the stereotype of Sexy Romani Dancer once he grows up - I'll come back to this later
    I always thought the easiest way to update Nightwing's roots would be to replace Haley's Circus with some traveling theatrical analog to Cirque du Soleil.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Superman- wouldn't have his personality, They are just aren't any pure white knight style characters any more
    Agree-ish. Superman would have his personality, but it would be closer to the one S&S gave him in his first Action Comics appearances. They might dial his powers back a bit to throw some tension into his conflicts.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Robin - We Are Robin. A group of young independent heroes not sidekicks fighting injustice.

Damian Wayne - More Artemis Fowl less sidekick and zero Al Ghul =Terrorist.

Batman and Gotham would probably be more cyberpunk-ish than it’s more current gothic urban decay or pulp image.
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-02-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Wonder Woman and themyscira would definitely be portrayed as straight up bisexual, or even gay. The only reason why they haven't gone there is because people would complain about "changing the character" even though it makes perfect sense. I think she might be of another ethnicity, probably like Yara Flor.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wonder Woman and themyscira would definitely be portrayed as straight up bisexual, or even gay. The only reason why they haven't gone there is because people would complain about "changing the character" even though it makes perfect sense. I think she might be of another ethnicity, probably like Yara Flor.
    that would go against the fact that Wonder Woman descends from the ancient Greek Gods and amazons are probably Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    that would go against the fact that Wonder Woman descends from the ancient Greek Gods and amazons are probably Greek.
    The Amazons have been racially diverse since Perez and the Amazons of Greek mythology were actually not from Greece. Also, being descended from ancient Greek gods (which wasn't her original backstory) does not mean being white.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Amazons have been racially diverse since Perez and the Amazons of Greek mythology were actually not from Greece. Also, being descended from ancient Greek gods (which wasn't her original backstory) does not mean being white.
    ancient Greeks and Romans showed the Gods as white. The Amazons of Ancient Greek mythology belonged to the Caucasian race with the black sea as their homeland. They also took part in the Homeric Trojan War that means they had Greek connection including their names.

The amazons are not Greek according to greek mythology
    They are most likely middle eastern. They weren't part of Greek culture nor geography

ancient Greeks and Romans showed the Gods as white. The Amazons of Ancient Greek mythology belonged to the Caucasian race with the black sea as their homeland. They also took part in the Homeric Trojan War that means they had Greek connection including their names.
    They had Greek names because they were filtered through greek culture. But they were described as a distant society.