Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Milo Manara's "Spider-Woman" #1 Variant Cover Draws Criticism

Multiple outlets have criticized Marvel's recently released "Spider-Woman" cover by Milo Manara, for an argued sexualization of the character.

Full article here.

All-New Member

You know what you are getting with Mino Manera.
    I love his work and line, but if you don't want it to be so explicit just ask the artist not to draw her naked, or at least put some fabric over that butt. I mean come on, that's a naked butt.
    But hey, the editors knew what they were doing. Selling books.

Andres
    www.pariahmissouri.com
    occult- story in the 1850s.

BANNED

At least they mention the Land in the article, but they don't mention that Land should redo some of his work.

I find this kind of funny. People are talking about women but no one seems to have a problem that all thedecisions in the marvel universe are being made by men. That's something to talk about. The illumanati, all men. The Cabal, all men. Are there even any genius level women in the Marvel Universe.

Oh I forgot there are two wallpaper women on the cabal.

I love Jess Drew Spider-Woman and have been keen for a new series (forever) but the constant criticism of Land as the artist and now this tied to the whole "Women of Marvel" makes me think maybe Marvel should rethink the approach.

Sadly I think this title is doomed to an early fail.

Marvel is lucky to have an artist of the caliber of Milo Manara to be drawing their characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader X View Post
    Marvel is lucky to have an artist of the caliber of Milo Manara to be drawing their characters.
    Yes but we are supposed to buy a super heroine book.
    Not Click.

I'm trying to think how you would draw someone clingin to a wall upside down with their spider wall stickum powers and NOT have their butt up in the air. If you're upside down, your butt's gonna be up top. That's just the way anatomy works.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.

Ultimate Member

Ok Marvel, you know that you've been criticized in the past for your treatment of female characters. We know that you know because you've brought it up on several occasions. And you've been touting all of these female-led books that you've been putting out as proof that you're working on fixing this perception, and you're right in many respects. But here's the thing, stuff like this cover ARE NOT HELPING!! Seriously, what could have possibly convinced you that this was a good idea? Let's ignore that fact that it's clearly designed solely to give the readers boners, or that the artist apparently doesn't know what actual clothes look like or how they work (hint they're not glorified body paint). Just as a piece of art, is REALLY bad, It's boring, lifeless, the anatomy is terrible, and it just sucks all around.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus View Post
    I've seen Spider-Man in this exact pose hundreds of times. Women have ass cracks, get over it.
    No, you probably haven't. Peter Parker in crouching position is either eye-level with him so his head is covering his ass-crack or it's a direct shot from above, again so no ass crack emphasized. Generally when he's in a crouched position his back is hunched. To put it somewhat crudely, Her back is arched in the opposite direction, which emphasizes her body's accessibility.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    I'm trying to think how you would draw someone clingin to a wall upside down with their spider wall stickum powers and NOT have their butt up in the air. If you're upside down, your butt's gonna be up top. That's just the way anatomy works.
    http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...14,317_AL_.jpg

Like this, it's not that hard actually. The comic cover makes it seem like she's deliberately sticking her butt as high in the air as possible. It's blatant fanservice, nothing more.

All-New Member

Elle ("imagine Spider-Man in that position instead, and the concept would have never gotten this far")
    Uh...

Spectacular Member

I don't really see the problem here. Are women not supposed to be sexualized now? If Marvel commissioned Manara for a Ms. Marvel (Kamala version) cover then I could get the outrage. But yeah getting mad about and trying to prevent sexiness and the "Male Gaze" in comics always seemed the wrong way to go about to me. I think what they should really do is make more male characters sexiness more apparent and draw them under the "Female Gaze" more often, but I guess Nicola Scott can only draw so many books.

They say not to judge a book by its cover, so surely that applies a hundred fold for a variant.

It's not the best cover, but I figure when you have a costume that tight and fight crime in it, it's probably going to ride up and get suctioned into your butt. So it's not like it's got the whole "escher girl" unrealistic pose thing. Despite that, yes it's a bit much to have her spandex clad boot-ay in all its glory pointed at the whole city. I'm all about equality in comics and treating female characters well, but this is just one of those situations where it's more funny than worrying. It's hard to expect something other than this from Manara and so being upset just doesn't seem worth it. When it comes to variants, the best thing to do seems to be laugh and don't buy it; giving it publicity won't help anybody's cause to stop this kind of stuff from happening.

I'm looking forward to the series. I'm interested to see where it is going. Jessica is a cool character. Don't let a variant stop support for the series itself if you are interesting in reading.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan