Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Future State: The Flash #2 Discussion/Spoilers

Jesus, where do I even start?

As I said before, the premise that Brandon Vietti came up with was kinda toxic but ultimately its worst sin is that the execution was pretty mediocre as a whole. Now it's not only mediocre but also nonsensical. The time gap between this issue and the last one at least makes it more fitting into the Future State timeline but that's the only thing that is fitting due that it seems like Vietti wanted to use multiple ideas at the same time but none of them are well-executed.

First of, it turns out that Famine possessed Wally and is feeding off hope which considering we're talking about The Flash is an appropriate theme to implement but the inclusion of such supernatural being is pretty out of place for the character and series.

Second, this concludes in a rather abrupt way with Barry being killed and the ending supposedly tying in with the Future State: Teen Titans title in a pretty poor manner and I mean, pretty poor, Cybeast just appears at the end basically saying "Oh hey, you can continue this story in the other book that had nothing to do with this I guess".

Finally, it almost seems like this was originally planned as a Tales from the Dark Multiverse tie-in because of the "dark twist" and how the hero loses at the end but, since Vietti didn't get to tell it there, he probably decided to put into Future State without realizing that all the themes clash with one another. Hell, even the time skip seems forced because it barely contributed to the little plot there is.

Brandon Peterson and Will Conrad handle the art and their work is at least solid with expressive characters and a vibrant style.

Aside from that, this was a complete waste of paper.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

God, I am SO happy I didn't buy this.
    It's the only Flash related title I've skipped in over 20 years, and after reading the reviews I have no regrets!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I hesitate to ask who this was written for.

Not the best comic debut for Brandon Vietti.

Astonishing Member

It was written to write off the entire Flash Family to let Jess step in as the nonbinary rep. The powers that be figured the extended Flash family were the most expendable cast and Barry was out the door on the pure premise of 5g, so everyone had to die with him instead of any of the actual Flash family legacy characters getting an iota of play in the legacy event.

One hopefully last Didio-enforced hate frenzy against characters who apparently personally offended him by existing.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    God, I am SO happy I didn't buy this.
    It's the only Flash related title I've skipped in over 20 years, and after reading the reviews I have no regrets!
    Looks I did good avoiding this, I hate prejudging titles but nothing makes me want to read this. I also think the younger flash family members are being robbed of FS stories.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I can't even...
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Just terrible all around. A boring story with a boring antagonist that doesn’t even have the decency to wrap itself up properly. Guess we’re getting evil Wally in Titans too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    One hopefully last Didio-enforced hate frenzy against characters who apparently personally offended him by existing.
    You know, Didio is not around anymore, if someone had problems with this story they could have easily changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just terrible all around. A boring story with a boring antagonist that doesn’t even have the decency to wrap itself up properly. Guess we’re getting evil Wally in Titans too.
    Wally won't be in Teen Titans Academy. He's got the Flash solo book instead!

It was written to write off the entire Flash Family to let Jess step in as the nonbinary rep. The powers that be figured the extended Flash family were the most expendable cast and Barry was out the door on the pure premise of 5g, so everyone had to die with him instead of any of the actual Flash family legacy characters getting an iota of play in the legacy event.

They failed to explain what happened to Avery, and didn't mention Linda, Jai and Irey at all. Basically, it's a rush job. And a bad one.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-03-2021 at 01:20 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Poor Brandon Vietti...

This is a textbook example of someone not reading the room and totally wasting their shot at developing any fanbase.

Well, at least it's over and I didn't spend one &%$*ing cent on this idiocy!

This had to have originally been much longer, right? They can't expect me to believe that Max contracted some disease so terrible his body needed to be burned; Iris just disappearing into the apocalypse with no explanation; and Barry going completely gray all happened in two months. Not to mention Avery apparently just stopped existing, probably killed directly by the narrative itself.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

They failed to explain what happened to Avery, and didn't mention Linda, Jai and Irey at all. Basically, it's a rush job. And a bad one.
    When this was originally planned it is likely they didn't want to bring back Jai, Linda, and Iris. But yes, they're never mentioned but likely killed offscreen by Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He is talking about Future State Teen Titans, since this book ends with an Titans cliffhanger out of nowhere.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hesitate to ask who this was written for.
    I mean if this is all really just repurposed concepts from the proposed 5G, the answer is obvious:

The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

What’s crazy is that Jess can step in regardless, just like Yara or Jace did. Idk who over at DC gets off on messing with the Flash family now that Didio is gone.