Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Hellions #9 Review/Spoiler Thread - The Benign Betrayal of Nathaniel Essex

Bar Sinister. Mastermind has come to Sinister for a deal. As they talk, Sinister falls over after drinking poisoned tea

Nanny outfits Peter with his new suit. It hurts and is too tight. He snaps at Nanny and she realizes he isnt sweet anymore. As she leaves, he calls out for her as he still needs her.

Purgatory. The Hellions are working out. Empath helps Alex workout by nudging him to go harder. Greycrow spars with Wildchild. Kwannon comes in and tells them all to suit up. At the Pointe Sage tells them they've lost evidence of Sinister's abduction. The Hellions joke but Sage doesnt find it funny. Xavier is adamant that they find and bring him back

In NYC, Empath notices tension between Nanny and Orphan Maker. He goes by Pete now. Mastermind welcomes them to NY. Kwannon tells them they are there bc Xavier sent them but he alludes to putting a suggestion in Sage's head. They go from being in a limo to a ship then plane. Kwannon tries to attack with a psy-knife but he controls her perception of reality and therefore her. Maybe they are still on Krakoa. As the Hellions go to attack, they fall out in the sky to their apparent deaths.

He reveals them all to be unconcious in a dark room. He is working with Arcade and Sinister is in a cage
    Last edited by Havok83; 02-03-2021 at 09:11 AM.

This move to revive ends up looking cool, in terms of seeing a villain act in the most insane way. I loved the mastermind

Mighty Member

I liked this issue. It’s nice to see how this “team” dynamics have changed since issue 1 and after X of Swords. The different personalities resulting from the resurrections of those that died in Arakko is interesting. I wish that Kwannon’s eyes would glow bright purple when using her powers because the close up with the eyes and her black hair looked awesome.

Sage needs to ditch the yellow jacket.

They literally look like the same person

Hellions and X-Factor easily the 2 best books of this era with the most bizarre cast it really works though.

Well, it was a good comeback for Jason

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post

They literally look like the same person
    why make Empath blonde?

I was grinning from ear to ear when they started laughing about caring about Sinister. If Mastermind isn’t a prime example of having to watch “former” criminals very closely, then Krakoa may go the way of Rome though hopefully not anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    why make Empath blonde?
    Blonde & Skinny he's giving me crack baby with this look but I'm rolling with it.

Segovia's art is great and since issue 1 he has been to create very different body languages and expressions for each of the characters. That just seems like a odd nitpick to me.

This was another great issue, as is the usual for this book. All the character arcs are progressing really well. With the interpersonal dynamics between Kwannon, Alex, Greycrow, Empath and Kyle, this weeks issue also makes a case that the rehab IS working and even Empath is benefitting from it, which is really interesting

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

9.5/10. Lost points for spoilers:
    Arcade
    end of spoilers
    "Cable was right!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    why make Empath blonde?
    I actually thought the colorist did a better job this issue of making Empath's hair more of a light brown, as opposed to how blond it's been in previous issues.

Another fun issue. I loved the team reaction to Sinister going missing, and their general interactions continue to be interesting. Empath seems to be causing less trouble (although still a generally terrible person), tension between Nanny and "Pete," Greycrow and Wildchild bonding. Psylocke is still the responsible grown-up of the team. Sage's datapage about the Hellions "begging" to go find Sinister was hilarious. Still a book that I look forward to each month.

Who was the femme fatale standing in front of Sinister at the end?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by El Capitan View Post
    Who was the femme fatale standing in front of Sinister at the end?
    Miss Locke. Arcade’s assistant

I never have much to say about this book because i just enjoy going along for the ride. I will say i was grateful Psylocke actually started to look asian half way through the issue.I think we need to do more to hold artist accountable that even in black and white we should be able to tell the ethnicity of characters. This is a visual medium and they are being paid. I has really made me reevaluate what i think is pretty art in comics and GOOD art
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/