Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is your most prized Comic book possession?

It could either be a comic that is super rare and valuable that you have in your collection, or its an issue that has major sentimental value to you.

Whats your comic book prized possession?

Easy, because it made me a devout comic reader and collector.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

It's hard to choose because there are a number of them. But I think there are a few I treasure the most. I had my hardcover 1989 edition of Doctor Doom/Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment autographed by Mike Mignola when I met him at his booth at Chicago's C2E2 around 2012.

This one was by pure chance, although it's not a comic book. I was at a local bookstore that had used and a few new books. People could bring in a book for trade (had to be in good shape) and get a discount on a new book or another of the traded in books. I happen to see this large sized edition of a book called the Art of Jack Kirby inside a slipcase cover. The owner sold it to me for about $90. I didn't notice until I got it home and took it out of the slipcase that on a preface page, there was a photo of Jack Kirby with his signature underneath. I looked it up on the internet and sure enough Kirby signed all the copies of this limited edition.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-08-2021 at 01:40 PM.

I was also able to meet Stan Lee at C2E2 in 2015. "Meet" might be too generous. He was in a section of the convention floor where you could pay to get his autograph. You weren't allowed to chat very long anyway since they wanted the line to keep moving. In retrospect I think this must have been around the time he had some unsavory people in his entourage (they were later removed in a legal battle IIRC) so I am a bit sad about that part. I brought along my Marvel Milestone Edition of Fantastic Four #5 for him to sign and I did point out it was Doom's appearance and he said "Oh yes" or something like that. I keep this in one of those special frames for comics. I had been thinking for years that it would be great of have something signed by Stan or Jack. I figured it was unlikely I would get something with Kirby's autograph and figured the odds were pretty high to get Stan's autograph also. Strangely enough, I came across the autographed Kirby book years before going to C2E2. Stan had been to Chicago conventions before but always to the convention center north of Chicago near O'Hare airport. I hate driving that route because of the traffic. But when he was announced as a guest at C2E2 I made sure to go since that is held on the South Side of Chicago at McCormick Place. It is a much easier drive for me....only about 35 minutes.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-08-2021 at 01:41 PM.

In the month in which I celebrate 50 years of consecutive FF buying, and after completing sets of FF and Strange Tales Torch and Dr Strange issues, this recent acquisition is the one I am most proud of.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    In the month in which I celebrate 50 years of consecutive FF buying, and after completing sets of FF and Strange Tales Torch and Dr Strange issues, this recent acquisition is the one I am most proud of.

What is that? Is it locally created ?

That's pretty cool to have a Gene Colan and Tom Palmer autograph on the same comic. I always thought Palmer was the best inker for him.

Probably my Sandman #1 signed by Neil Gaiman.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    What is that? Is it locally created ?
    It was. It's a locally created line through my LCS. Insect Man is the brainchild of the owner who made mini comics throughout his life and eventually started to sell folded 8.5x11 copies through the store. This was a book that was privately distributed as Diamond wouldn't do the one-shot. Copies of the variant cover were autographed by Tom Palmer. The cover was a commission done by Gene Colan and later inked by Palmer. Andy Fish was the artist and some schlub wrote it. Still, it's a book with a Colan cover drawn by a professional artist with a story by me. I am very lucky to have this happen to me.

You win this thread with that one Capt.
    I own a piece of Colan original art that I prize.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah, original pages by Colan are hard to find. I hope you will post an image here. Silver age stuff probably can go for thousands these days. I know I once saw an auction for some Jack Kirby Fantastic Four pages at Heritage Auctions and I think just one page was $25,000. I wanted to find the pages for Gene Colan's Doom story in Astonishing Tales #8 (also inked by Tom Palmer) but I noticed it was owned by another fan that posted all the pages on the comic art fans site. There's loads of interesting stuff there.

I do have a small collection of Marvel comic book pages I've bought over the years. I bought a page from Fantastic Four #500 from inker Karl Kesel through his agent back on eBay some years back. And if you go to the Doom appreciation thread, another Doom fan there has even more pages from that issue, which was the end of the Unthinkable arc. I think it is pretty neat that they must have made some custom art boards to commemorate the 500th issue.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-09-2021 at 01:54 PM.

I mentioned meeting Mike Mignola at C2E2 and discussing his work on the GN Triumph and Torment. I bought about 16 pages of the color guides and inks from a seller around 10 or 12 years ago. They come in pairs like this....

Then when you lay transparency with the inked page over the page with just the colors, you get the effect of the final printed page. It seems like such a painstaking process

I’d say my collection itself is the answer to the OP question.
    There are some comics that bring fond memories though.

This issue of GRENDEL almost got me arrested. I’d only recently run across the book at my comic shop, Forbidden Planet in NYC. I’d gotten issues 2-6 but needed the all important number one. After several phone calls, my guy at FP gave me the address of a shop in midtown that had a copy for me and I was off. Unfortunately, I’d forgotten it was St. Patrick’s Day, and when I got up to the street from the subway, the St. Patrick’s Day parade was blocking my way.
    Well, long story long, I made my way through the crowd, jumped a blue police barricade and literally ran across the parade i to the crowd on the other side, now followed by a couple of officers who’d seen me. It was sheer luck I was able to avoid them. And yes, I did get my book once I was in the clear.

This issue of NEW WARRIORS (which I collected) came out while I was in basic training. I saw it on a rack at the Shopette the Drill SGTs took my platoon to, to get resupplies on our toiletry items about halfway through training. I took a quick peek at it, and wound up getting everyone dropped for push-ups when we got outside. Seems the Drills saw me looking at “picture books”.

This issue of SUPERBOY was the first one I saw and bought, after being stationed in Panama. This was the Olden days, before you could get any and everything online. Superboy was one of my favorite books and the only comic carried at the Post Exchange. It was a little touch of home for the 18 months I was out there.

BANNED

Well this falls into two camps. There are comic books that I love because I loved the contents. And comic books I treasure for sentimental value. I'll list sentimental value here:
    I paid a sinful amount of money for this, because I am a massive Rey fan and I loved the Quesada variant cover:

StarWarsAgeOfResistanceRey1Quesada.jpg

Then there's Star Wars Adventures #32 which I was lucky/smart enough to buy as pre-order. Again because of my fondness for Rey, due to the lovely art by Peach
    Rey Peach.jpg

And the non virgin cover of X-Men: Fallen Angels:

X-23 Angel.jpg
    Last edited by Mia; 02-11-2021 at 10:49 AM.

I own the original art to this page. The very first Dr Strange page Gentleman Gene drew. I got it from him at a convention.
    I can't locate a pic of my original art right now.