Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Who Are His Closest Superhero Friends Besides "The Trinity" and "Super-Family'?

J’onn and Clark tend to be close on account of being aliens and last of their kind. He has a friendly rivalry with Flash that has the two competing with one another over speed. Other than that I can’t think of anyone except the Legion of Superheroes obviously m, when they’re his childhood friends that is.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Clark doesn't have many friends.Even the trinity is three humorless gods sitting together.If i had my way clark would be part of a trinity with ambush and lobo or something(the good.the bad and the bounty hunter from outerspace).Superman franchise needs humor.Sheesh!It's called comics.As in comedy?what's with all the grandstanding?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-03-2021 at 08:01 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Weren't he and Nightwing kinda tight at one point?

Definitely Tommy Monaghan (A.K.A. Hitman):

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Weren't he and Nightwing kinda tight at one point?
    Yeah! he,robin and batman were awesome back in those old covers. when batman wasn't such a drag and superman had a personality.

I think Clark would actually have a better relationship with J'onn and Barry Allen than with Bruce. Supes and Bats can respect each other and work together, but I don't understand them hanging out with each other, or talking about their personal issues with the other person. With Barry and J'onn it makes a lot more sense in terms of personality.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I think Clark would actually have a better relationship with J'onn and Barry Allen than with Bruce. Supes and Bats can respect each other and work together, but I don't understand them hanging out with each other, or talking about their personal issues with the other person. With Barry and J'onn it makes a lot more sense in terms of personality.
    For my money, part of it is because how early in their careers they meet and they're the first partner in each other's crime fighting career that was just damned good at their job. They kind of become brothers after that because they're each other's only real peer who "gets it." I imagine Bruce is an invaluable resource for Clark because who else can he talk shop to?

They're one of the first team ups of their generation and Clark eventually becomes something of an uncle to Bruce's surrogate son as well as treating his surrogate dad with respect. Clark's the one person Bruce can really trust to always do the right thing and get stuff done that early in his career.

He also does the impossible all the time and makes Bruce feel genuine hope. I know that word is on time out for overuse in Superfandom but it's true. Clark is absolute power used selflessly. He proves not everything has to be as awful as Bruce has seen. Clark definitely helps Bruce believe in a better tomorrow which would be very hard to do with what he sees in Gotham on the regular.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-03-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Eh. Lots of people have unlikely friendships like that. But sometimes, when you spend enough time with somebody or you're brought together by certain circumstances, it doesn't really matter how different you are. Of my two best friends, one of them doesn't really have a single thing in common with me. We don't really share any of the same interests and we're opposites in almost every conceivable way. But we still...connect because of how long we've known each other. We still have fun hanging out and we're definitely able to confide in each other whenever one of us needs to.

So maybe that's why I never saw Clark and Bruce's friendship as being unrealistic. When you've known someone for a long time and have been through a lot with that person, eventually you just start to click regardless of whether or not it makes sense lol

Well, the Legion used to be his friends of college days, who he meet again years later... until he, whom I will not name came intto Superman life.

He?
    Yes, he.
    He who?
    He who what?
    Who he?
    He. Who says a lot and explain nothing.
    Who says a lot?
    ANd explain nothing.

Clear?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Clark and bruce are friends cause they are cut from the same cloth.Bruce is more like seinen brooding adult's hero.Clark is more like shonen optimistic kid's hero.Yet,both are basically zorro based characters.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-03-2021 at 09:43 PM.

You really gotta work on your comparisons dude. Not everyone's as familiar with anime/manga terminology as we are lol

That said, I don't really see any of Zorro in Clark. I don't see any of the strawhats really. If I really wanted to stretch (pun not intended) I'd say he's closer to Luffy but even that's pushing it. Course these are all just very loose comparisons anyway. Never really liked using one character as a measuring stick for what a completely different character should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    You really gotta work on your comparisons dude. Not everyone's as familiar with anime/manga terminology as we are lol

That said, I don't really see any of Zorro in Clark. I don't see any of the strawhats really. If I really wanted to stretch (pun not intended) I'd say he's closer to Luffy but even that's pushing it. Course these are all just very loose comparisons anyway. Never really liked using one character as a measuring stick for what a completely different character should be.
    That's cause superman is jesus now.A watered down character as a whole.At best he comes off like whitebeard.
    downloadas.jpg
    download.jpg
    A grizzled oldman fighting cause he has to,who was never into the rat race and casue too much damage,only wanted a family.But with the strength to destroy the world,if push came to shove.Siegel and shuster directly based superman on zorro,hugo danner and john carter..etc.That's where the dashing debonair who fought for the weak came from.The secret identity and the whole energy of the character was like that.Superman was kickass man of action.The whole "if you push a weak person,i am gonna push back" attitude came from zorro as well.Batman doesn't have much zorro's personality.But currently, Nigtwing is more similar to zorro as a whole.For me,clark is basically an intelligent and self aware version of luffy and outlaw version of allmight if we are going anime.He's gonna do what luffy does.But,he is gonna do what luffy does,only without being an idiot.with words as clark and with action as superman.The hats and the races with guns screams of an era bygone.Luffy belongs to that as well.

And i could give other examples.That'd be even more niche.Like batman and robin being like don quixote and sancho panza.Modern superman being dostevsky's grand inquisitor.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-04-2021 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Clark doesn't have many friends.Even the trinity is three humorless gods sitting together.If i had my way clark would be part of a trinity with ambush and lobo or something(the good.the bad and the bounty hunter from outerspace).Superman franchise needs humor.Sheesh!It's called comics.As in comedy?what's with all the grandstanding?
    Is the humorless thing New from after Flashpoint? I seem to recall the Trinity robbing one another in offhours interaction like in Trinity after the first battle, WW226, and in most iterations of the League. What did I miss?

Retired

Marsboy, Marvel Maid, Lori Lemaris, Vartox of Valeron.