Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Wait how? I mean its an neat comparison to make and it easily sums up the basic ideologies of Prof X and Magneto....fictional characters
    Because Malcolm X is nothing like Magneto and he wouldn't have been so beloved by the black community if he were.

Malcolm X did not support genocide. Magneto did.

Malcolm X was not a terrorist. Magneto is.

Malcolm X did not believe his people were a superior race. Magneto believes this of his race.

It's that simple. How we continue to even have this argument is completely beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    People have been calling out the X-Men franchise for appropriating the narrative of racial minorities for years before the Black Panther movie came out.

It's also not too surprising that X-fans think a movie starring a mostly black cast didn't tell a better story about racism than a franchise that has mostly focused on white people since its inception.
    I can't believe my eyes that I read that. I knew that one day this would happen, but I'm not prepared.

The way black panther inspired black/poc people all around the world, still has me in tears. The empowerment was real, mostly of black panther was done by black people

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Because Malcolm X is nothing like Magneto and he wouldn't have been so beloved by the black community if he were.

Malcolm X did not support genocide. Magneto did.

Malcolm X was not a terrorist. Magneto is.

Malcolm X did not believe his people were a superior race. Magneto believes this of his race.

It's that simple. How we continue to even have this argument is completely beyond me.
    Geoff Thorne already explained it, Magneto was the stand in for a white supremacist. It was only in 80s that he became a jewish survivor of holocaust
    Last edited by Rang10; 02-07-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

The closest marvel got to make an actual argument on the civil rights movement with the X-men was on the "God loves man kills story" imo there Magneto and the X-men team up agaist the stand in for the Ku Klux Klan. Other than that they had stories and stand ins for way too many different moments and people. So no I donīt think there must be a direct analogy between the X-men and the civil rights movement because writers had been having way too different takes on the X-men and Xavier and Magneto for them to be an actual civil rights methaphor.

Also lest not forget Black Panther was there already for a long time, I would say heīs a more accurate aproximation to the analogy of the civil rights movement than the X-men without being quite a methaphor, because Wakanda has itīs own internal rules.

I agree Magneto was written in a sympatethic way only until Claremont decided to give him his jewish origin, which brings yet another type of analogy, because Magneto as a Claremont villain was mostly an isolianits character, humans are evil and dangerous to mutants so we must either control the world or have our own place on it(Island M) or out of it(Asteroid M), still I would not call Stan Lee Magneto a genocidal character, thatīs mostly an unfortunate take of movie and Morrison Magneto, to supposely reset him to his "origins", still silver age magneto motives were quite simple, he wanted power and a country for mutants to live on and rule. He was also quite crazy, had the mad scientist trope, etc. but other than that he was just there to be defeated and he was, so many times he used to be called a "poor manīs Dr Doom" I donīt think Mr Lee put on him that much thought, much less saw him as an actual analogy for Malcolm X, thereīs a reason that version of magneto was turned into a baby, he didnīt really had much else going for him. I would say the most sympatethic and nuanced villain Stan Lee wrote was Dr Doom not Magneto.

Now lest look at Charles, Charles believes in mutant and humans living together and the X-men being the heroic face for mutantkind, while also fighthing the bad mutants so they donīt harm humans, he was a little more nuanced than silver age Magneto but I would not said either that he was an actual methaphor for martin luther king, first off heīs a real person whose ideals were a lot more complext than what Charles had ever been imo and second from what I know MLK was way more proactive than Charles ever has been on the matter of defending the cilvil rights in the community. MLK was proactive while Charles was mostly reactive.

I guess what I am saying is that the X-men are not a literal methaphor for the civil rights movement even if it has elements from it, they also a methaphor for different groups but they never were meant to be a concrete stand ins.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 02-07-2021 at 09:06 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022