Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It was a horrible slap-in-the-face to fans and their characters. That's also the time Peter smacks MJ for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    It was a horrible slap-in-the-face to fans and their characters. That's also the time Peter smacks MJ for the first time.
    MJ was also pregnant with their child during the whole saga. The more I think about it the more I realize the clone saga is essential reading for Peter and MJ fans because it gives the biggest emotional highs and lows for the two of them and almost gives them that happily after ever ending before taking it all away. I dont think Marvel will ever repeat what happened in the clone saga for their relationship. It really took things too far and seems to remain taboo with Marvel editorial.

BANNED

One of, if not THE lowest points in ASM history (Sins Past does probably top it). Bad idea that still drags on the title to this day. Fundamentally changed to title forever...for the worse.

Some of it was good.
    Some of it was bad.
    Sometimes it was an absolute mess.
    It never really reached great at any point but it remains somewhat fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    MJ was also pregnant with their child during the whole saga. The more I think about it the more I realize the clone saga is essential reading for Peter and MJ fans because it gives the biggest emotional highs and lows for the two of them and almost gives them that happily after ever ending before taking it all away. I dont think Marvel will ever repeat what happened in the clone saga for their relationship. It really took things too far and seems to remain taboo with Marvel editorial.
    Yeah, it came to the point Marvel decided to rely on shock value to sell comics and convince people that he was a clone this whole time to get them to side with Ben Reilly. It really sent the wrong message.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yeah, it came to the point Marvel decided to rely on shock value to sell comics and convince people that he was a clone this whole time to get them to side with Ben Reilly. It really sent the wrong message.
    Cosigned. I'll defend Ben Reilly and even Kaine, to an extent, but there's no defense whatsoever for Marvel having Peter, albeit accidentally, smack a heavily pregnant Mary Jane across the room when she tried to stop him from murdering Ben in a psychotic rage. That was the nadir of the Clone Saga for me, at least on a personal level; not even Peter siding with Jackal in a fit of nihilistic pique could be lower than that for me. Kind of like how even though Hank Pym unleashed a robot he created on the Avengers so that he could defeat it singlehandedly and redeem himself in the eyes of the team, the worst thing he did in that arc was still hitting Janet van Dyne. Fortunately (or not), Spider-Man is a very beloved and popular figure with readers and fans, so of course he survived this horrible moment/action with that love from his fans and readers, plus the protection of Marvel editors/execs, even if they mishandled him otherwise.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The Clone Sagas lasted 3 years, this is my general evaluation:

94: A mixed bag, leaning a bit more toward bad than good, but with some great moments (mainly whatever DeMatteis was writing, Mackie is also surprisingly good some time).

95-Almost absolute trash, with some good moments here and there, but pretty terrible overall, i wouldn't surprised if this was considere the worst year of Spider-Man if it wasn't for certain demon that showed himself when he was not welcome.

96-Pretty good, with some bad stories here and there, is mostly the Ben Reilly epic, but Peter is a pretty cool supporting characthers and has some great moments, is not perfect but is pretty enjoyable.

So in my opinion is a messy era, but is worth reading, in spite of the bad parts. Is up to you thought, because is not just a storyline, is an entire era.
    This is a fairly good & accurate summation actually.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

First time? Did it happen again?

If it's still available for viewing, there is a blog about the Clone Saga called "The Life Of Reilly" that has all kinds of info about the comics themselves and all the crazy things that happened when Marketing realized they could squeeze a lot of money out of it. I printed all of it a few years ago and it ended up being like a book. Very interesting and worth reading.

Amazing Member

At least the Lost Years mini was wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shunt View Post
    At least the Lost Years mini was wonderful.
    Indeed. I hear good things about Spider-Man: Redemption, too. Need to get that one somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    First time? Did it happen again?
    The Spider-Man 3 movie even though it's a different Marvel U.

I'd say it's worth it because it introduces Kaine and Ben. Honestly, I didn't find it super terrible. It wasn't the best either. It was a lowish point in Spider-History but it's still part of that history

I think every Spider-Fan should read it, because the journey that Ben takes is a fascinating look at what it means to be Spider-Man and what it means to be a human being with purpose. Ben changes from an angry loaner who resents his existence to someone who gains a family in the Parkers, friends in people like Seward Trainer and the Daily Grind crew, and superpowered allies like the New Warriors. His existential journey was written expertly at times, and it's worth slogging through the muck in order to enjoy the gems.

Kaine's journey is also incredibly fascinating, especially when you consider what's happened to the character in modern times. His stories are even more enjoyable when keeping in mind the character's origins and initial stories.

-Pav, who still only ships one couple: Ben Reilly and Angelica Jones...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I think every Spider-Fan should read it, because the journey that Ben takes is a fascinating look at what it means to be Spider-Man and what it means to be a human being with purpose. Ben changes from an angry loaner who resents his existence to someone who gains a family in the Parkers, friends in people like Seward Trainer and the Daily Grind crew, and superpowered allies like the New Warriors. His existential journey was written expertly at times, and it's worth slogging through the muck in order to enjoy the gems.

Kaine's journey is also incredibly fascinating, especially when you consider what's happened to the character in modern times. His stories are even more enjoyable when keeping in mind the character's origins and initial stories.

-Pav, who still only ships one couple: Ben Reilly and Angelica Jones...
    I respect your defense of the Clone Saga, at least regarding Ben Reilly and Kaine (later known as Kaine Parker).