Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Clone Saga--worth reading?

I've heard that it's one of the more disliked storylines in Spidey's history due to the editorial staff kind of losing their way along the way, if that makes sense.

Is it really terrible or worth a read?

Astonishing Member

It's still not good, but it's better in Tradeback. You should still read it to form your own judgements on it.

This is a good rendition of the Clone Saga.

strange-dreams.jpg

It starts out all right, and then gets too long and has a terrible ending.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post
    I've heard that it's one of the more disliked storylines in Spidey's history due to the editorial staff kind of losing their way along the way, if that makes sense.

It gave us two great characters in Ben Reilly and Kaine and gave us a host of great stories, like ASM #400, The Lost Years mini, Web of Carnage, Final Adventure mini, Redemption mini, Revelations and others. It also gave us some real stinkers like Maximum Clonage, Time Bomb and a bunch of crap about virtual reality wars. As a story it was overly long, convoluted and messy, but sometimes very suspenseful and engaging with all its mysteries and twists. It also had some great moments of characterization between Peter and Ben, Peter and MJ, and Ben and Kaine. I also think the saga got better after Ben became Spidey and not every story was about clones. Anyway, draw your own opinion, but I think it gets dumped on much more than it deserves. It’s loooooong, so it’ll take a couple months to get through all the epic trade paperbacks (there’s like 10, and each one is almost a thousand pages).

No.

But there's no avoiding it.

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed it. People don't complain about the writing itself though, just that it took to long and had some crazy ideas.
    Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 02-06-2021 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutUpLutz View Post

You should rather read, "The Original Clone Saga":
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/spide...ga/4050-41275/

it's awful, read it now
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    You should rather read, "The Original Clone Saga":
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/spide...ga/4050-41275/
    No, they should read the Clone Saga.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Avoid at all costs imo
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Mighty Member

How much free time do you have? It's interesting, certainly, and contains a number of good stories. It also contains a number of truly awful stories, plot twists, and character arcs that defy all logic. If you want to really be in the know, it's not going to be boring, that's for sure. Confusing, yes. Worthwhile, probably not.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Read it and develop your own opinion.

-Pav, who still loves Ben's arc...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

If you like or care to learn about the origins of Ben & Kaine Reilly then absolutely, though I would recommend glossing over some of the more fluffy parts (I love the Clone Saga - but God it does drag on at some parts). Oh you should check out the original 70's Clone Saga as well, as that actually shows Ben's actual first appearance.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

The Clone Sagas lasted 3 years, this is my general evaluation:

94: A mixed bag, leaning a bit more toward bad than good, but with some great moments (mainly whatever DeMatteis was writing, Mackie is also surprisingly good some time).

95-Almost absolute trash, with some good moments here and there, but pretty terrible overall, i wouldn't surprised if this was considere the worst year of Spider-Man if it wasn't for certain demon that showed himself when he was not welcome.

96-Pretty good, with some bad stories here and there, is mostly the Ben Reilly epic, but Peter is a pretty cool supporting characthers and has some great moments, is not perfect but is pretty enjoyable.

So in my opinion is a messy era, but is worth reading, in spite of the bad parts. Is up to you thought, because is not just a storyline, is an entire era.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I started reading Spider-Man comics with the clone saga and became a fan and comic reader for life so it can’t be that bad, right? If I didn’t read that it was considered bad everywhere I wouldnt know.... because I enjoyed it and it contains many of my favorite arcs.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 02-07-2021 at 06:18 AM.