Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member

Some good (Mainly getting to know Ben and Kaine), quite a bit of bad... if it had been a 6-8 month story with a clear beginning, middle and end (And didn't try to replace Peter permanently as Spider-Man) would've been way better received, I think.

Edit: Also, I liked Judas Traveller, even though he didn't really fit a Spidey book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Edit: Also, I liked Judas Traveller, even though he didn't really fit a Spidey book.
    I always hate when people say that. It always feels so limiting.

Ditko retconned Tinkerer being an alien because he didn't feel like it'd fit, but now we live in a universe where it completely fits.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Some good (Mainly getting to know Ben and Kaine), quite a bit of bad... if it had been a 6-8 month story with a clear beginning, middle and end (And didn't try to replace Peter permanently as Spider-Man) would've been way better received, I think.

Generally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I always hate when people say that. It always feels so limiting.

Ditko retconned Tinkerer being an alien because he didn't feel like it'd fit, but now we live in a universe where it completely fits.
    Yeah, Marvel, for all its initial pretensions of being more realistic and grounded compared to DC, is just as (delightfully) crazy a fictional universe (or even multiverse).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I can't remember if I've ever posted in the Spider-Man forum before, but I had to do it once I saw this thread.

The ONLY reason to read the 90s Clone Saga is because the story is famous for being so bad and so wrongheaded.

It's like watching "The Room" or an Ed Wood movie. So, in that sense, the Clone Saga is "worth reading."

The Clone Saga was really a marketing driven gimmick story that was prompted by DC's runaway early-1990s twin successes: The Death of Superman and Knightfall.

It wasn't created for creative reasons, and it wasn't dragged out for creative reasons. Pop culture is always a war between art and commerce. In the Clone Saga, there was no art; it was just commerce.

Marvel had really perfected the cash grab in the 80s beginning with the original Secret Wars miniseries -- a toy tie-in hyped up to be "important" and "will change the universe forever." But, in the end, Secret Wars was harmless enough.

In the Clone Saga, Marvel was actually going to declare that the Peter Parker we'd been reading about since the 1970s Clone Saga was, in fact, the clone, and that Ben was the real Peter.

Marvel was THAT desperate to undo the Spider-marriage. Over a decade later, they just decided not even to try to have a sensible reason for it, and they just did a quickie magic-retcon to Peter's history. At least they didn't drag it out for 3 years.

Anyway, the Clone Saga is really the first in a seeming never-ending series of bad editorial decisions running amok on Marvel's flagship character to the point where people actually started hating Spider-Man comics -- that's not an easy thing to do.

The only thing worse than the Clone Saga is that Marvel, after Quesada stated publicly how much the story sucked, decided to reprint the whole damn thing and charge its fans hundreds of dollars to buy it -- again!

I'd say don't waste your time with it, but I know how irresistible the pull of a trainwreck can be.

It was OMD level of good.

IE run away.

Incredible Member

While I agree that some parts of the Clone Saga were not the best, there are a lot of good parts as well. To be honest, if you want to read the Clone Saga you should but also read the Life of Reilly interview that has been online since forever. It really clears up a lot of the confusion and explains so much. Its a great companion to the Clone Saga.

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/

http://benreillytribute.50webs.com/LifeofReilly1.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    While I agree that some parts of the Clone Saga were not the best, there are a lot of good parts as well. To be honest, if you want to read the Clone Saga you should but also read the Life of Reilly interview that has been online since forever. It really clears up a lot of the confusion and explains so much. Its a great companion to the Clone Saga.

http://lifeofreillyarchives.blogspot.com/

http://benreillytribute.50webs.com/LifeofReilly1.html
    Just remember to read that with a huge pinch of salt, because it's still the views of one guy there.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Like with every comic storyline, there are good parts and bad. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it’s not to everyone’s tastes. I had the luxury of reading it years after it had been completed, so all the editorial decisions people hated about it, I saw through different lenses, and saw what they were trying to accomplish.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

As someone who was reading the Clone Saga as it came out I still stand by the fact it was a really good storyline .... in the beginning. That first third or so was some really great stuff. If they had ended the story the way they originally had planned instead of dragging it out due to editorial it would be remembered as an amazing period. I liked the reborn Jackal and his death at the end of Maximum Clonage should have been the end of the story along with all the clones. If it would have ended there with Peter being the only one left and all the clones gone I think the story while still being kind of a mess but it would be remembered better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    As someone who was reading the Clone Saga as it came out I still stand by the fact it was a really good storyline .... in the beginning. That first third or so was some really great stuff. If they had ended the story the way they originally had planned instead of dragging it out due to editorial it would be remembered as an amazing period. I liked the reborn Jackal and his death at the end of Maximum Clonage should have been the end of the story along with all the clones. If it would have ended there with Peter being the only one left and all the clones gone I think the story while still being kind of a mess but it would be remembered better.
    I feel like I share the same or similar sentiments about the Clone Saga. It reminds me of watching Twin Peaks back in the day; while not perfect Season 1 was a masterpiece and probably should have ended before things got too warped by the end of Season 2.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Like all long storylines it had ups and downs, but reading it as a kid I definitely remember being very excited as you never knew was going to happen from issue to issue. DeMatteis/Bagley on Amazing (and DeMatteis/Romita Jr on The Lost Years) and DeFalco/Buscema/Sienkiewicz on Spectacular in particular produced some very fine comics during this period.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I feel like I share the same or similar sentiments about the Clone Saga. It reminds me of watching Twin Peaks back in the day; while not perfect Season 1 was a masterpiece and probably should have ended before things got too warped by the end of Season 2.
    Except I think the Spider-Ben period is much stronger than the Scarlet Spider/ Maximum Clonage/ Jackal period.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Except I think the Spider-Ben period is much stronger than the Scarlet Spider/ Maximum Clonage/ Jackal period.
    Okay? You're allowed to like what you want, I merely expressed agreement with similar opinion.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion