Page 175 of 175 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175
Results 2,611 to 2,622 of 2622
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    Teenage Iceman was wiped. Adult Iceman gets to remember what teenage Iceman does but teenage Iceman himself doesn't.

Teenage Iceman is forced back into the closet.
    There is no difference. Iceman is Iceman. The teenage one is the same as the adult one. Ergo, Iceman remembers what Iceman did as a teen when he was in the timeline and eventually comes out and, as he puts himself, embraces who he is.

Why do I have to spell this out for you?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

With respect, beloved Harpsikord, the timey whimey mechanics ARE a bit confusing.

Myself-- I was under the impression that Jeen did in fact ERASE the memories of their collective experience in the future, essentially resetting them to their maltshops & sock-hoppy selves. A little light Ctrl Alt Delete, and when the screen came back up the previews browsers and history were closed/erased.

Past O5 resumed business as usual, while their collective memories up until said Ctrl Alt Delete were transferred to their NOW-fighting-Ahab-etc-selves, granting them both a rather remarkable and unique personal experience as well as providing them (specifically Jean) with the necessary tools to defeat/overcome Ahab's gray-scale-youths.

Time travel is often challenging to wrap one's head around. Factoring in this memory file transfer? I share the confused sentiment some are left with.
    Do I like it? YES. Absolutely. But it may take some time for me to fully feel like I understand the mechanics of it all. ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    There is no difference. Iceman is Iceman. The teenage one is the same as the adult one. Ergo, Iceman remembers what Iceman did as a teen when he was in the timeline and eventually comes out and, as he puts himself, embraces who he is.

Its still the idea young Bobby had to return and be forced into the closet for the "greater good". Now 10 or so years ago I'd had no problem with this a sacrifice to preserve the Timeline but 3 words change my opinion One More Day.

Marvel had no issue drastically changing their Flagship characters timeline just so he could date girls again without a divorce but Bobby's timeline being changed so he could date boys in the past is a no no the Timeline must be maintained is hypocrital.

Its not that confusing and Marvel resolved it as simply as they could while acknowledging the developments the characters made. Jean didn’t erase any memories; she locked them away. All the teens memories still existed and were unlocked when the time loop was closed. We saw adult Bobby and Jean get flooded with those memories when it happened

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Its still the idea young Bobby had to return and be forced into the closet for the "greater good". Now 10 or so years ago I'd had no problem with this a sacrifice to preserve the Timeline but 3 words change my opinion One More Day.

Marvel had no issue drastically changing their Flagship characters timeline just so he could date girls again without a divorce but Bobby's timeline being changed so he could date boys in the past is a no no the Timeline must be maintained is hypocrital.
    it was all or none. Bobby cant keep his memories while the others dont. This isn’t comparable to OMD as this was about fixing a mess, not creating one. Two completely different stories in different franchises. There’s nothing hypocritical here

And what difference does it matter? Unless they were to launch a new series following the adventures of the young X-men, its not something we will see play out. That already did in the 60s series. Adult Bobby is the only one we are following now and they haven’t changed his sexuality with this so thats been preserved

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    With respect, beloved Harpsikord, the timey whimey mechanics ARE a bit confusing.

Myself-- I was under the impression that Jeen did in fact ERASE the memories of their collective experience in the future, essentially resetting them to their maltshops & sock-hoppy selves. A little light Ctrl Alt Delete, and when the screen came back up the previews browsers and history were closed/erased.

Past O5 resumed business as usual, while their collective memories up until said Ctrl Alt Delete were transferred to their NOW-fighting-Ahab-etc-selves, granting them both a rather remarkable and unique personal experience as well as providing them (specifically Jean) with the necessary tools to defeat/overcome Ahab's gray-scale-youths.

Time travel is often challenging to wrap one's head around. Factoring in this memory file transfer? I share the confused sentiment some are left with.
    Do I like it? YES. Absolutely. But it may take some time for me to fully feel like I understand the mechanics of it all. ha ha.
    I'm almost sure it was clearly explained on this issue that their memories were never wiped, just locked until present day. So, the adult versions of the O5 are really the same exact people as the teens, who just didn't remember their time in the future until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm almost sure it was clearly explained on this issue that their memories were never wiped, just locked until present day. So, the adult versions of the O5 are really the same exact people as the teens, who just didn't remember their time in the future until now.
    Hmmm. Okay. Thanks, Wiccan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Considering how much the O5 learned in the present, it was almost impossible to not wipe their memories clean before sending them back without changing core characterizations and timelines of the entire franchise.

The funny thing is... now it's canon that Bobby dated Romeo "before" competing with Alex for Lorna's affections.

Pretty rude when you're the one who isn't understanding what I'm saying!

Iceman has a long life, something happening to him in the present doesn't mean you can ignore what happened to him in the past.

Ok, let's see if I can dumb this down enough for you to understand with a comparison.

Psylocke recently returned to being white after many years in an Asian body.

Do you now say that because she started white and is white now that's the same thing as her always being white or do you acknowledge that past Psylocke was, for a long time, Asian.

Just because present day Iceman gets to remember what happened that doesn't erase the fact that the Iceman of the past is forced back into the closet and stuck living a lie until his future self gets the memories back when it's too late ho help him.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

EVERY time I see something involving an accountant I think of Bobby Drake.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

BANNED

Yes. Makes sense since I remember the comicbook character Bobby Drake working as an accountant from past marvel comics.

Incredible Member

Yes, He should be the one taking care of the school's spending! Always bickering with the others about the "We can't afford a nex Blackbird" problem!

Bobby being an accountant never made sense to me. I never pictured him being the one that would care about numbers or money. That was such a mundane and boring position for someone with his personality. Claremont thought up some random ideas to have the X-men retire. Havok as a geophysicist also was a head scratcher