Page 5 of 145 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    spoilers:
    I doubt that sticks by the end of the series, but I wonder if they'd send him after Wanda or Spider-Man.
    end of spoilers
    This takes place before Far From Home so no

Astonishing Member

Loved it. The only thing I didn't like but I understand why they tried to show it, was Sam Wilson having issues getting a loan. Maybe the issue with the Blip could be the reason. But they tried to get to meta textual with the race and loan thing. I didn't mind that story just didn't like the execution. Look Sam Wilson at this point would have plenty of places to get money. Sorry just didn't buy that.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 03-19-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

This was a very strong first episode. I am more impressed with it than I expected. Action sequence to start with was top notch really. They are continuing the character building here that fleshed out Wanda and Vision in WandaVision. With some deep character stuff for Bucky in his present day post Wakanda life. Who is he how is he dealing with the years of programming and death he caused. He has a trail of bodies all over the world how does he deal with it. Theres alot to mine there and they started off strong.

Sam and his family was interesting in another way. What do the every day working heroes do that arent billionaires? How do they live and feed their families. That is a very interesting and real concept if you aren't a King of Wakanda, or a Billionaire like Stark how do all the rest of them live? I really liked that interaction here and they could go some interesting places with that.

Even though this takes place before WandaVision you already see that other people have their own **** going on really. It makes more sense why no one was especially making much effort to "hang with Wanda" when she could have used a friend after Endgame.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Loved it. The only thing I didn't like but I understand why they tried to show it, was Sam Wilson having issues getting a loan. Maybe the issue with the Blip could be the reason. But they tired to get to meta textual with the race and loan thing. I didn't mind that story just didn't like the execution. Look Sam Wilson at this point would have plenty of places to get money. Sorry just didn't buy that.
    I thought that scene did a good job with the explanation there. Sam isn't rich. The bank recognizes hes an Avenger. But, what does that mean to securing a loan if you aren't rich like Stark? He explained how the Blip effected policies on loans etc. Billions of people are back out of nowhere. Needing jobs, needing loans, their houses and apartments, businesses didn't necessarily wait for them to come back.
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 03-19-2021 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That might be because Anthony Mackie is from Lousianna more than anything else. His parents also owned their own business. (not shrimp)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega
    You noticed that, too huh? But then again that backstory was up for grabs since MCU Monica comes from a line of Aviators/Astronauts.
    This bugs me. Monica Rambeau has a rich history....that she won't be needing anymore because she is going to become a part of the Captain Marvel franchise. It was one of the better backgrounds especially for a black character at Marvel (it's working wonders for Sam) and to see it handed to another character while Monica herself becomes more generic and flavorless feels..strange. They took everything from Monica's origin except the cop angle (she was a cop) and the fact that her dad was a (retired) fireman.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Loved it. The only thing I didn't like but I understand why they tried to show it, was Sam Wilson having issues getting a loan. Maybe the issue with the Blip could be the reason. But they tired to get to meta textual with the race and loan thing. I didn't mind that story just didn't like the execution. Look Sam Wilson at this point would have plenty of places to get money. Sorry just didn't buy that.
    Sam obviously tried to use his Avengers fame to get the loan. I'm sure he could have gotten it if the banker was a big enough fanboy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    This was a very strong first episode. I am more impressed with it than I expected. Action sequence to start with was top notch really. They are continuing the character building here that fleshed out Wanda and Vision in WandaVision. With some deep character stuff for Bucky in his present day post Wakanda life. Who is he how is he dealing with the years of programming and death he caused. He has a trail of bodies all over the world how does he deal with it. Theres alot to mine there and they started off strong.

Sam and his family was interesting in another way. What do the every day working heroes do that arent billionaires? How do they live and feed their families. That is a very interesting and real concept if you aren't a King of Wakanda, or a Billionaire like Stark how do all the rest of them live? I really liked that interaction here and they could go some interesting places with that.

Even though this takes place before WandaVision you already see that other people have their own **** going on really. It makes more sense why no one was especially making much effort to "hang with Wanda" when she could have used a friend after Endgame.

I thought that scene did a good job with the explanation there. Sam isn't rich. The bank recognizes hes an Avenger. But, what does that mean to securing a loan if you aren't rich like Stark? He explained how the Blip effected policies on loans etc. Billions of people are back out of nowhere. Needing jobs, needing loans, their houses and apartments, businesses didn't necessarily wait for them to come back.
    Yea like I said I sort of get it. But I thought it went a little far in saying this was an ordinary guy. And that he has no access to money. I think they tried to sort of explain it with the Blip. But they didn't really show how this Blip affected the economy. I just didn't buy what they were trying to sell on this topic. I appreciated the effort in showing how getting a loan for these type of businesses and ethnic groups can be difficult. Not sure doing it in this context with him being the Falcon was the right way to do it.

Extraordinary Member

Great opening action scene. I’d be lying if I pretend I didn’t grin when I realized it was Batroc again!

Bucky’s story running straight into the horror of his experience as The Winter Soldier is fantastic idea, and seeing TWS again at the height of his horrifying efficacy as a killer was nice.

Sam’s story, though, was the one filled with the most building blocks for an ongoing story, and has the most patience in setting up multiple angles. You’ve got Sam proving himself to still be a legit, mind blowingly skilled warrior, a wise and mature hero capable of analyzing a situation in a manner not too dissimilar to Steve. But you’ve also got “the system” taking advantage of him, his choices, and his family, and they go out of their way to show it’s not a matter of active malevolence - it’s systemic issues across the board.

The show is embracing the “symbols are nothing without the men and women who give them meaning” idea, and across the board. The way the “system” can use symbols in a reckless and short-sighted way is almost certainly going to be a key part of the story, not just for this show, but for the greater MCU. We’ve got Zemo and Flag Smashers declaring war on the symbols of heroism and nationhood, respectively, while the government is clearly trying to use the symbol of Captain America for their own ends. Sam and Bucky are going to be waging a war on one side to prevent a symbol from being used wrongly, but on the other to prove a symbol still has meaning.

It’s pretty much a thesis for the value of Captain America, complete with counterarguments.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

I guess the question is whether that symbol can still have meaning.

WandaVision happened before The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. WandaVision happened three weeks after Endgame, while Falcon happens six months later. Both shows take place before Spider-Man: Far From Home, which was eight months later.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    ... Hopefully the show can (subtly) show up both the far left via Flag Smasher and the far right via US Agent to good effect (probably before revealing that both are being controlled by Zemo or someone else).
    I agree. I don't want things to get preachy or to be spoon-fed an easy answer about these issues. My feeling is that the show will demonstrate how power hungry people will tap into the feelings of instability and take advantage of people to gain their way - regardless of which "side" they're on.

Ultimate Member

As long as they don't "both sides" everything

So Sam has been doing missions for the Air Force, because what else is he going to do? That new Falcon suit and fight sequence was spectacular .

Lately I've become really self-aware of how much Superheroes in movies or live-action end up killing people somewhat casually or matter-of-factly. Yeah, I get it, they're soldiers and they're bad guys, but it's still kind of jarring to me.

Torres is supposed to be Joaquin Torres from the comics? The second Falcon? If so, it looks like they Bucky-fied him where they turned an actual teen hero into an adult soldier. Would you believe in the comics he was an illegal immigrant trying to help families cross the border? I mean, he was fun here and played off Sam well in a sidekick-esque way, but it still felt kind of weird seeing him like that.

It was nice to see Batroc again. To be honest, I'm only disappointed that he feels like such a generic thug here instead of the gentleman criminal he is in the comics. But he sure gave Sam a challenge here, and actually survived, so at least the MCU knows when to keep name villains alive even if their henchmen aren't afforded the same luxury.

Definitely playing on the theme of legacy where Sam feels he isn't ready to inherit Steve's legacy while struggling with his family's legacy. It was also nice to see his family with his widowed sister and her kids and how he reacts to how much time has moved on there since he blipped or even before when he was a Superhero.

So Sam's family were fisherman instead of religious? I guess we're saving that up for when Daredevil inevitably comes back .

A whole list of "The Vanished?" Did they get their permission to use that? I don't know if anyone would want their name there even if they were part of The Blip.

It was cool to see Rhodey again, and to see him be the counterpoint to Sam not taking up the shield. I was expecting Rhodey dealing with Tony's loss like Sam is Steve's to come up, but that's probably going to be saved for Armor Wars.

Bucky is still struggling with the weight of his sins as the Winter Soldier and adjusting to a modern world, but at least he has pardon-mandated therapy to go through and he's crossing off his regrets one-by-one, whether it be people who used him as Winter Soldier or people who he unknowingly killed. But it's got to be agonizing for him to bond with someone whose son he's killed.

It was nice to see that Sam is reaching out to Bucky. It's probably what Steve would've wanted, but you can also potentially see that Sam is trying to make sure Bucky isn't alone like Wanda was.

They really don't address how Superheroes make money that much anymore, probably because "being a Superhero" seems to be the main job of everyone these days. I mean, Tony's rich, Steve worked for the government, Peter Parker now has Stark money, but Sam left his real day job to play Superhero and apparently there wasn't much in the way of Stark benefits like you'd expect.

Flag-Smasher is trying to create a unified nation like they felt the world was closer to during the Blip? Huh. Guess it'll also be a bit before they figure out it was the girl running the operation and is the actual Flag-Smasher...

USAgent looks so much like a discount Cap that it's honestly kind of funny. The US government are jerks though for making Sam think he was giving the shield away for Cap's museum when they instead hand it off to their new Captain America knockoff. I don't think Walker knows any better, he probably thinks he's just doing his duty and serving his country, but we know Sam gets the shield back so I'm wondering how it's going to happen.

It was so weird to see Sharon and Zemo in the credits when they're not even in the episode .

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In fairness, that's a draw back of shared canon. All tension disappears if he can call up Pepper and say "Hey, can you spot me a million?"
    Plus Sam doesn't know Pepper as far as we've been shown. If they've ever been in the same place besides Tony's funeral, that hasn't been shown to be the case so far. No reason for us (the audience) to assume he knows her well enough to ask for $$$.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

In the real world, Insurance companies are notoriously good at finding a way out of even paying for things the policies cover.

I imagine a day after the snap, every insurance company just stopped paying out for life insurance and dared the aggrieved to sue them.

On top of that, the people who got blipped are probably considered damn near fraudsters in the eyes of the finance industry "You died and came back. That's cheating!"

So on that level I can see how Sam and his Sister end up in this situation.

In also occurs to me there's probably a great post apocalyptic story about the 5 years after the Snap. Every Government on Earth would have been reeling and struggling to provide even the basics.

It wouldn't have been Road Warrior out there, but I probably was the Mad Max situation almost exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    WandaVision happened before The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. WandaVision happened three weeks after Endgame, while Falcon happens six months later. Both shows take place before Spider-Man: Far From Home, which was eight months later.
    Thanks! I had to look this up, because originally WandaVision was supposed to be first. I'm sure the covid stuff changed a lot of it. But it helps to know for sure the timeline of things.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.