Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
One point about "there was never another Steve Rogers" and that whole conversation. The thing about Steve that explains why Zemo's theory doesn't apply to Steve is that Steve never wanted power. He never wanted to be a super soldier, he just wanted to be a soldier - like everyone else - and this was the only shot they were giving him. He'd have been happy to just be himself and serve overseas.

It's also relevant that I don't think Steve ever said anything about serving his country or fighting for democracy... abstract concepts. He doesn't like bullies (i.e. people who wield power to belittle others) and he felt he had no right to be at home when others were laying down their lives. Steve believes in people, not flags. He won that ride with Peggy not by climbing over others up to the flag, but by bringing it down.
Wow, well said. I had not considered the symbolism of the way he got the flag until now. This kind of stuff is why I really love TFA, it really fleshes out Steve as a character and shows how he ticks. Still wish the other two CA movies had been more about Steve, rather than a Shield movie and an Avengers movie. Its like Steve actually never left the ice, figuratively speaking, after TFA. But like everyone else I loved both movies for what they were.