Page 136 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2161
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Was it ever stated in the mcu movies that Sam felt the legacy of captain america was complicated?

if you mean was it states in the movies no but at the same time the emperor had only 10 minutes of screen time in the OT. Still when the EU resurrected Palpy and introduced Mara Jade as his former servant people didn’t really care

My issue isn’t sam suddenly caring about racial issues my issue is him deciding now that captain america’s legacy is complicated. Even before he knew about Isaiah again t hulk was a result of captain america so that should complicate his legacy far more
    So your legacy, for example, is determined by other people trying to replicate it and failing? Seriously?

And BTW, the lack of a backstory to a supporting character is not exactly unknown in movie's or TV. Compare Frasier in Cheers to how own show.
    Last edited by green_garnish; 05-15-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Ultimate Member

He also said ‘I’ll do my best’. He didn’t say “I’m not sure a black man can fill your legacy” or anything like that

I’d think Steve would be the most empathic. Again his character and why he became Captain America was simply because he hated bullies. Considering he had a black and asian soldier in his squad this would be emphasized more so. You’re telling me that social issues never came up between Sam and Steve?

Also in 616 Steve’s parents were irish and poor because of discrimination. Obviously the movies never specify Steve’s family or heritage but the idea steve can’t understand racism just isn’t true
    You're acting like Sam can't change his mind. The USA has a pretty racist history, so it's not unreasonable for him to rethink accepting the mantle after thinking for longer than a few minutes of saying goodbye to his closest friend.

I'm sure Steve did discuss racial issues with Sam, but that doesn't mean Sam blindly accepts the shield. And as bad as discrimination against Irish Americans was, that never stopped Irish Americans being racist against others. Steve himself opposed racism but probably wasn't a victim of it himself, so his perspective is different

also is it a huge logical leap that palpatine had a son especially since in the EU he had numerous concubines so the idea isn’t anything new?
    Yes, considering he's all about succession. Mentioning an heir would totally make sense. When exactly would Sam have spoken about race in any of his appearances? Tell me when it'd makes sense for him to mention anything like he did in this series....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Like that.
    Ok, all I'm saying is it's not unrealistic for racial issues to come up after all this time, but maybe they did off-screen. These superheroes are all about good vs evil, and racism is an evil in society, so at some point a hero who suffered from racism would talk about it, even if he never talked about it before.

Romances come and go, but they're not necessarily concerned with good and evil

it’s not a leap Sam would care about racial issue but it is a leap that he would go from happily accepting captain america’s legacy to questioning it

Again Sam should know what Isaiah was saying was bullshit since he is everything Isaiah wasn’t. He broke the law yet was hailed as a hero unlike Isaiah. It’s also hard to imagine Steve never discussed racial issues with Sam as well but according to the show apparently Steve is just ignorant.
    Actually, as another had said, Sam didn't happily accept it in Endgame. He specifically says it doesn't feel like it belongs to him. Maybe you should watch the film again? And just because Sam was fortunate doesn't make Isiah's take bs. Sam also had the benefit of being amongst other white people when he was arrested. Isaiah wasnt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Yes, considering he's all about succession. Mentioning an heir would totally make sense. When exactly would Sam have spoken about race in any of his appearances? Tell me when it'd makes sense for him to mention anything like he did in this series....
    Yeah, it's not like sam had a lot of character focus before this show. When could he bring it up?

Incredible Member

So your legacy, for example, is determined by other people trying to replicate it and failing? Seriously?

And BTW, the lack of a backstory to a supporting character is not exactly unknown in movie's or TV. Compare Frasier in Cheers to how own show.
    it shouldn’t but the show tries to make it that way

I didn’t have an issue with Sam’s family being introduced but him question captain america’s legacy

BANNED

it shouldn’t but the show tries to make it that way

I didn’t have an issue with Sam’s family being introduced but him question captain america’s legacy
    The show tried to make it what way? Questioning Cap's legacy is not part of a missing backstory how exactly?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Romances come and go, but they're not necessarily concerned with good and evil
    But they are very concerned with the human condition, and a lot of us want our heroes to be human.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Actually, as another had said, Sam didn't happily accept it in Endgame. He specifically says it doesn't feel like it belongs to him. Maybe you should watch the film again? And just because Sam was fortunate doesn't make Isiah's take bs. Sam also had the benefit of being amongst other white people when he was arrested. Isaiah wasnt.
    Yeah to show how much his legacy meant. He still said i’ll do my best and thank you

I didn’t say Isaiah was wrong i said Sam’s reaction was wrong. Also he didn’t get pardoned until 3 years after civil war. Him and all his white people friends as you put it. People also seemed to have forgotten about civil war since nobody cares that Sam and Bucky were criminals for 3 years. Not that i blame them since they saved the universe but again Sam should be furious at Isaiah which he kinda was at first for disrespecting Steve. Again great parallels that are wasted

Ultimate Member

But they are very concerned with the human condition, and a lot of us want our heroes to be human.
    Yeah, but they take time to build up, and the MCU doesn't have a great track record on it. Whereas topics like racism already exist beforehand. Plus, I think the Hollywood attitude about heroes needed love interests is a bit problematic and outdated IMO

Niffleheim

it’s not a leap Sam would care about racial issue but it is a leap that he would go from happily accepting captain america’s legacy to questioning it
    The only time this happened was when Bucky and Sam visited Isaiah and Bucky told him that Steve didn't know about Bradley. So I don't know where you are getting this questioning Steve's legacy is coming from?

i

Again Sam should know what Isaiah was saying was bullshit since he is everything Isaiah wasn’t. He broke the law yet was hailed as a hero unlike Isaiah. It’s also hard to imagine Steve never discussed racial issues with Sam as well but according to the show apparently Steve is just ignorant.
    Firstly What Isaiah said was not BS. That was his experience with the American govt. Sam can accept Isaiah's POV and also believe in himself that he can pave his own path. Why would it be hard to believe that Steve and Sam didn't talk about race issues? Other than recommending a Marvin Gaye's album Trouble Man to Steve there hasn't been that many stories that centered on AA experience in the MCU
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-15-2021 at 04:19 PM.

Ultimate Member

Yeah to show how much his legacy meant. He still said i’ll do my best and thank you

I didn’t say Isaiah was wrong i said Sam’s reaction was wrong. Also he didn’t get pardoned until 3 years after civil war. Him and all his white people friends as you put it. People also seemed to have forgotten about civil war since nobody cares that Sam and Bucky were criminals for 3 years. Not that i blame them since they saved the universe but again Sam should be furious at Isaiah which he kinda was at first for disrespecting Steve. Again great parallels that are wasted
    How did people forget Civil war?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Whereas topics like racism already exist beforehand. Plus, I think the Hollywood attitude about heroes needed love interests is a bit problematic and outdated IMO
    Seriously? And topics like love didn't exist beforehand? Even Gilgamesh had a love interest. It's not a Hollywood attitude, it's a literary attitude.

Ultimate Member

Seriously? And topics like love didn't exist beforehand? Even Gilgamesh had a love interest. It's not a Hollywood attitude, it's a literary attitude.
    Doesn't mean it's not problematic