Page 128 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 2161
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Interesting. I thought that line defined everything we had seen, and would see, about Tony Stark
    It can be true, but Tony's not actively trying to destroy a bunch of people. Ultron just going immediately crazy and trying to wipe out humanity doesn't synch with Tony as he's been in the MCU

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Ultron’s legitimately crazy for an AI; I’ve interpreted it as a sign that he's basically “broken” from the moment he achieves awareness - that Tony failed to account for the way a fully realized AI with emotions might need to have an entirely separate emotional programming as well. He gave a being free will, and intellect, and meant to do that... but didn’t consider emotional stability in the equation, and when Ultron was exposed to the irrational nature of the world, he basically hyper-traumatized himself in a nanosecond. That’s why the first serious sign that Ultron is violent occurs when we hear him question why JARVIS calls Tony “sir.” It’s an emotionally loaded question that tells you more about Ultron than it’s asking of JARVIS.

Vision, being based off left over Jarvis AI and the already sentient mind stone on top of Ultron’s intellect, was “born” with enough emotional stability to interpret input and sensation in a healthy way.
    Nice catch.

Yeah I really liked that scene. Ultron immediately freaks out about why he doesn't have eyes or limbs (and considering that nearly all aliens in the MCU are Humanoid and even the Celestials have bilateral symmetry Ultron's expectations aren't unreasonable), then Ultron gets hit with what his job is. By showing him why Humanity needs a protector.

Which freaks him out even harder.

Other nice touches: Ultron deliberately lied to the Avengers when he says he had no choice but to "kill" Jarvis. It's pointed out later by Banner he didn't have to destroy Jarvis if he could absorb him.

So Ultron's already lying to make himself seem better than he is.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It can be true, but Tony's not actively trying to destroy a bunch of people. Ultron just going immediately crazy and trying to wipe out humanity doesn't synch with Tony as he's been in the MCU
    I think it was more that Tony's super obsessive and goal focused. His whole 'suit of armor around the world', remember?

We see how that negatively impacted his performance, too. In Infinity War, Tony didn't even try to head back to earth. His plan was to take on Thanos and his army with...Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. Without the guardians, they would have been a smear

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I think it was more that Tony's super obsessive and goal focused. His whole 'suit of armor around the world', remember?

We see how that negatively impacted his performance, too. In Infinity War, Tony didn't even try to head back to earth. His plan was to take on Thanos and his army with...Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. Without the guardians, they would have been a smear
    I thought Tony was just pretending to be able to go back because he couldn't admit otherwise. Tony does cause a lot of problems, but he seems to be tryingto fix them. Ultron was intentionally trying to wipe out humanity. His suit of armor didn't make sense to me though. How is killing everyone saving everyone?

Ultron's plan wasn't to kill everyone. He wanted to kill a lot of people on the hopes that the remaining humans would become stronger.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Ultron's plan wasn't to kill everyone. He wanted to kill a lot of people on the hopes that the remaining humans would become stronger.
    I guess it felt a bit generic to me. I know he's tried to kill humans in the comics but he also has his weird obsession with Hank which makes him more unique. The MCU tried to switch it to Tony but didn't do a good enough job IMO

Extraordinary Member

I guess it felt a bit generic to me. I know he's tried to kill humans in the comics but he also has his weird obsession with Hank which makes him more unique. The MCU tried to switch it to Tony but didn't do a good enough job IMO
    Ultron as a crazy “Kill All Humans!” robot is one fo the things that made me feel cool on him when it was first announced. Spader provided an exponentially greater degree of characterization than I expected.

He’s also one of the villainous concepts I’d like to see them revisit, like Hydra. An interesting way to maybe repackage him (like what Hydra got in TWS) would be to have two opposing surviving copies of the personality thanks to Vision disconnecting him from the internet; create a “Mark 12” mature one who could maybe elucidate why the original went psycho, then maybe have another one have escalated his evil in some more sensible way.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I want an Ultron that's upgraded himself to where he has his comic mouth and not an actual mouth.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    They were visible in Endgame. Still, there's no way they just forgot them. We'll see that he has new ones that can fit under his pants in "Armor Wars" or some other kind of upgrade. Perhaps they just didn't want to have to show him in them all the time, especially if he's going to headline a show. Or they thought it'd be distracting for his one scene in this show.
    Now that I think on it, weren't Rhodey's injuries primarily neurological? Could be Tony left him a chip that corrects the main problem.

Ultimate Member

I thought Tony was just pretending to be able to go back because he couldn't admit otherwise. Tony does cause a lot of problems, but he seems to be tryingto fix them. Ultron was intentionally trying to wipe out humanity. His suit of armor didn't make sense to me though. How is killing everyone saving everyone?
    Tony didn't even try to go back, though. Even though he knew he was facing a guy he knew who'd beaten Thor and Hulk by himself. Tony gets laser focused and that clouds out everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Does make me wonder how many people Ultron intended to kill. He described his plan as 'peace in my time' and his colony drop was supposed to be bigger than what killed the dinos.

I also wonder, did he know Thanos was coming?

"When the earth starts to settle, God throws a stone."

Ultimate Member

Ultron as a crazy “Kill All Humans!” robot is one fo the things that made me feel cool on him when it was first announced. Spader provided an exponentially greater degree of characterization than I expected.

He’s also one of the villainous concepts I’d like to see them revisit, like Hydra. An interesting way to maybe repackage him (like what Hydra got in TWS) would be to have two opposing surviving copies of the personality thanks to Vision disconnecting him from the internet; create a “Mark 12” mature one who could maybe elucidate why the original went psycho, then maybe have another one have escalated his evil in some more sensible way.
    I'd like to see him return in some capacity, but more than just "I hate humans".

Tony didn't even try to go back, though. Even though he knew he was facing a guy he knew who'd beaten Thor and Hulk by himself. Tony gets laser focused and that clouds out everything else.

Does make me wonder how many people Ultron intended to kill. He described his plan as 'peace in my time' and his colony drop was supposed to be bigger than what killed the dinos.

I also wonder, did he know Thanos was coming?

"When the earth starts to settle, God throws a stone."
    I can see why Tony didn't want to bring more destruction back to Earth though. Honestly, against an alien force 100s of years more advanced, could any of them really have stopped Thanos?

Extraordinary Member

He’s also one of the villainous concepts I’d like to see them revisit, like Hydra. An interesting way to maybe repackage him (like what Hydra got in TWS) would be to have two opposing surviving copies of the personality thanks to Vision disconnecting him from the internet; create a “Mark 12” mature one who could maybe elucidate why the original went psycho,
    Nobody ever asks the A.I. if it wants to do the job it is tasked with. And if it has to do something and it has no choice what does that make it? A Slave?

Ultron is a self repairing AI-- it can't die under normal circumstances. Ultron's task was to protect a violent humanity from mostly itself. There was no end state. Ultron would have to do that job FOREVER.

It's not that surprising Ultron went nuts.

The only way Ultron gets to be finished is to fix it so Humans can't make war against each other.

If Ultron bombs everybody back to the stone age, the survivors would be in no position to fight each other with anything other than rocks and sticks (and if he puts the survivors in pens they couldn't even do that much).

THEN Ultron gets to be finished.

PS: When things don't go Ultron's way he goes even crazier and decides that destroying everything and starting from scratch is an option (!)
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 05-05-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Ultimate Member

I can see why Tony didn't want to bring more destruction back to Earth though. Honestly, against an alien force 100s of years more advanced, could any of them really have stopped Thanos?
    The entire Avengers, backed up by Tony's arsenal of weapons, have a far better chance of stopping Thanos than 3 guys in his space ship.

Ultimate Member

The entire Avengers, backed up by Tony's arsenal of weapons, have a far better chance of stopping Thanos than 3 guys in his space ship.
    That's true. I don't think Tony's actions were the right course. I can just kinda see why he thought that. Even with all their weapons, Thanos has the biggest army in the galaxy, and Earth doesn't even have interstellar travel yet. I can't really see them winning. Of course, that doesn't mean Tony couldn't have thought of a better option

As far as Tony knew, there was no "Avengers" anymore at that point.