Page 119 of 145 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 2161
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Who? Foggy and Karen know Matt is Daredevil for instance. The closest people to Danny are the ones who know about the Iron Fist and K'un-L'un. Aunt May, Ned and MJ know about Peter being Spider-Man.
    Scott Lang's friends and family found out about him being Ant Man in his first movie, before his identity became public. Christine Palmer found out Stephen Strange is a Wizard.

I just hate how they treat Spider-Man's secret identity like such a joke. It's a focal element of the character, even if the rest of the universe treats that kind of stuff derisively, he should be the one where it should be a big deal. And the villains finding out who he really is does end up screwing him over pretty hard in the MCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Scott Lang's friends and family found out about him being Ant Man in his first movie, before his identity became public. Christine Palmer found out Stephen Strange is a Wizard.
    Is his identity public as Ant-Man? I'm not sure if the general public is aware of who Ant-Man is beyond the fact of Giant-Man being at the airport fight or the fact that he and Wasp were fighting Thanos.

Unless the Accords had to make them publicize that stuff.

(I wonder how many people recognized Stephen from footage of the Endgame fight).

Ultimate Member

I for one like the fact that the secret identity trope is dead in the MCU. It only serves to create forced melodrama and a bunch of contrivance to keep it going. Even if the whole world doesn't know a guy's identity their inner circle definitely should.
    I absolutely agree. Unless the character is a secret agent, they don't need a secret ID anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just hate how they treat Spider-Man's secret identity like such a joke. It's a focal element of the character, even if the rest of the universe treats that kind of stuff derisively, he should be the one where it should be a big deal. And the villains finding out who he really is does end up screwing him over pretty hard in the MCU.

Is his identity public as Ant-Man? I'm not sure if the general public is aware of who Ant-Man is beyond the fact of Giant-Man being at the airport fight or the fact that he and Wasp were fighting Thanos.

(I wonder how many people recognized Stephen from footage of the Endgame fight).
    I don't necessarily mind Peter being exposed so long as they follow through with it. As for Scott and steven, I think the general public just doesn't care

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Pete's secret ID was always treated as a joke in the ultimate universe. Most of his supporting cast and villains knew who he was. By the time he died it was easier to list who didn't know.

Astonishing Member

I don't see it being treated like a joke. I see it handled in a much more realistic and plausible manner than the comics. And when people find out, it is a big deal. May and MJ found out, just like in the comics. Villains find out, just like in the comics. The only change is that the reveal isn't reversed through some lame plot device, like in the comics.

Astonishing Member

I don't see it being treated like a joke. I see it handled in a much more realistic and plausible manner than the comics. And when people find out, it is a big deal. May and MJ found out, just like in the comics. Villains find out, just like in the comics. The only change is that the reveal isn't reversed through some lame plot device, like in the comics.
    In the comics, Peter told them. That's a big difference to them finding out while he was changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    So they knew it was potentially problematic
    Apparently. And their justification was super weak - because of emotions and stuff? Please. But overall the MCU has done ok with equal opportunity fridging.

MCU characters whose purpose at some point was to get injured or die, to inspire the main people (usually white):

Bucky (White)
    Yinsen (Middle Eastern)
    Coulson (White)
    Nick Fury (Black)
    Rhodey (Black)
    Gamora (Black Woman)
    Black Widow (White Woman)
    Lamar (Black)

I am sure I'm missing characters. Edit: added Nick Fury and Gamora
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 04-29-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I don't necessarily mind Peter being exposed so long as they follow through with it. As for Scott and steven, I think the general public just doesn't care
    I do.
    Pete's secret ID was always treated as a joke in the ultimate universe. Most of his supporting cast and villains knew who he was. By the time he died it was easier to list who didn't know.
    Still maintained it better than MCU Spider-Man, but that's part of why I prefer 616 Spider-Man to Ultimate or MCU Spidey.
    I mean, May finding out wasn't that big a deal compared to the comics, and I only say treat it like a joke when he's taking his mask off so casually or his supporting cast finding out is treated like a joke.

Astonishing Member

I do.

Still maintained it better than MCU Spider-Man, but that's part of why I prefer 616 Spider-Man to Ultimate or MCU Spidey.

I mean, May finding out wasn't that big a deal compared to the comics, and I only say treat it like a joke when he's taking his mask off so casually or his supporting cast finding out is treated like a joke.
    While you see it as treating the secret identity as a joke, I see it as a much more realistic take on how hard it is to keep a secret like this. Peter is living in a small apartment, trying to lead a double life while keeping everyone in the dark. That is not going to work in any plausible way. And I'd rather see the supporting cast actually learn and move on than try to maintain some suspense about finding out for contrived drama. It may be a staple in the 616 version, but I prefer the Ultimate and MCU versions.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Apparently. And their justification was super weak - because of emotions and stuff? Please. But overall the MCU has done ok with equal opportunity fridging.

MCU characters whose purpose at some point was to get injured or die:

Bucky (White)
    Yinsen (Middle Eastern)
    Coulson (White)
    Rhodey (Black)
    Black Widow (Woman)
    Lamar (Black)

I am sure I'm missing characters
    Don't forget Gamora dying for the Soul Stone

I do.

I guess I didn't think it was as big of a deal. I agree May finding out could've been better handled with more drama. But I never really liked him not telling the people closest to him, because he chooses to be in their lives. And his family and friends get attacked without knowing who he is

While you see it as treating the secret identity as a joke, I see it as a much more realistic take on how hard it is to keep a secret like this. Peter is living in a small apartment, trying to lead a double life while keeping everyone in the dark. That is not going to work in any plausible way. And I'd rather see the supporting cast actually learn and move on than try to maintain some suspense about finding out for contrived drama. It may be a staple in the 616 version, but I prefer the Ultimate and MCU versions.
    I never liked all the "Oh here's my excuse" drama from all of it.

Extraordinary Member

I think I read somewhere that Kevin Feige wasn't a fan of the
    secret ID trope. He didn't want the writers to have to figure out which character knew what and how to reach who when he's trying to have everyone team up.

Comics rely on the heroes supporting cast being some combination of really stupid and willfully blind to make the
    trope work.

So the movies clue them in first chance they get so they can be accomplices and not dupes.

Don't forget Gamora dying for the Soul Stone
    Yep, forgot about her. Also I added Nick Fury, for Winter Soldier. That kind of tips the balance, mostly its been PoC and/or women getting fridged.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

MCU characters whose purpose at some point was to get injured or die, to inspire the main people (usually white):

Bucky (White)
    Yinsen (Middle Eastern)
    Coulson (White)
    Nick Fury (Black)
    Rhodey (Black)
    Black Widow (Woman)
    Lamar (Black)

I am sure I'm missing characters
    Quicksilver (white)
    Heimdall (Black)
    Warriors 3 (White, White, Asian)
    Frigga (Woman)
    Vision (purplish android)
    Zuri (Black)
    Yondu (Blue Alien)
    Groot (Tree)
    Peter Quill's Mother (Woman)
    The Ancient One (Woman)
    Tony Stark (whte) - arguable for the Spider-Man sequel
    Odin (white)
    Loki (white)
    Steve Rogers (white) - old, retired arguably for FatWS
    Peggy Carter (Woman)
    Janet Van Dyne (Woman) - lost in quantum realm

I find the attempts to be more "realistic" with MCU Spider-Man and make things more plausible end up detracting more than they add to the character and take away from their mystique, but to each their own.

I think it's entirely implausible that a teenager could pull it off, at least a clever and creative teenager, but I guess it depends on the execution.

I think in certain cases it's fine, but we don't need to have a bunch of people knowing who Spider-Man is. And if someone does know, it's a major deal.
    I guess I didn't think it was as big of a deal. I agree May finding out could've been better handled with more drama. But I never really liked him not telling the people closest to him, because he chooses to be in their lives. And his family and friends get attacked without knowing who he is
    Seems like a valid personal choice to me, considering the circumstances, but that's just my take.

(They do get more directly targeted when they know in my experience).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    So the movies clue them in first chance they get so they can be accomplices and not dupes.
    I guess this is where the Arrowverse got the idea for their massive Superhero support staffs.

(Kind of makes me wonder what Feige's take on the DCU would be like).

Quicksilver (white)
    Heimdall (Black)
    Warriors 3 (White, White, Asian)
    Frigga (Woman)
    Vision (purplish android)
    Zuri (Black)
    Yondu (Blue Alien)
    Groot (Tree)
    Peter Quill's Mother (Woman)
    The Ancient One (Woman)
    Tony Stark (whte) - arguable for the Spider-Man sequel
    Odin (white)
    Loki (white)
    Steve Rogers (white) - old, retired arguably for FatWS
    Peggy Carter (Woman)
    Janet Van Dyne (Woman) - lost in quantum realm
    Many of those deaths didn't serve the purpose I am talking about. Deaths of Heimdall, Zuri, Quill's mom, Warriors 3, Frigga, Vision, Odin, Loki, Peggy, Groot had nothing to do with creating motivation for another character.

For instance, Odin died because it was his time to die, he basically offed himself for that reason. In the movie, it was so Thor and Loki would have an adversary in Hela. Zuri died in order to show that Killmonger was an evil moustache-twirler.

But yah, good points on Yondu, Janet, Ancient One and Tony.