Page 129 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2161
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    As far as Tony knew, there was no "Avengers" anymore at that point.
    Earth still had the people in Dr. Strange's order, all his armor, War Machine, the Vision, Wanda, Cap, etc.

Tony had to know that he had more resources on earth than anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Earth still had the people in Dr. Strange's order, all his armor, War Machine, the Vision, Wanda, Cap, etc.

Tony had to know that he had more resources on earth than anywhere else
    Tony didn't know about Strange's order, didn't know where Vision was and wasn't on good terms with Wanda, Steve, etc. Hence the "no Avengers anymore" thing. The only person he'd know for sure would be helpful is Rhodey.

Ultimate Member

Tony didn't know about Strange's order, didn't know where Vision was and wasn't on good terms with Wanda, Steve, etc. Hence the "no Avengers anymore" thing. The only person he'd know for sure would be helpful is Rhodey.
    I hadn't actually thought of that

Ultimate Member

Wong and Strange both said that their order protected the time stone. Tony had a phone to call on Steve, Wanda, etc. I mean, they were still on earth

I mean, simply because I don't know where the Prime Minister of Canada is at this right second doesn't mean he's ceased to exist.

More than that, Tony had Friday, all his suits of armor and probably that Edith thing back on earth. And on top of that, he knows that simply taking the time stone from earth won't be enough to protect it, because Thanos is after the mind stone as well, also on earth.

Ultimate Member

Wong and Strange both said that their order protected the time stone. Tony had a phone to call on Steve, Wanda, etc. I mean, they were still on earth

I mean, simply because I don't know where the Prime Minister of Canada is at this right second doesn't mean he's ceased to exist.

More than that, Tony had Friday, all his suits of armor and probably that Edith thing back on earth. And on top of that, he knows that simply taking the time stone from earth won't be enough to protect it, because Thanos is after the mind stone as well, also on earth.
    That's probably not enough to take on Thanos

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's probably not enough to take on Thanos
    That's more than what Tony had

And Tony knew that if he failed, Thanos would come straight to earth. Even if he didn't know the details of the Snap plan, he knew from Bruce what Thanos was about. And that he's beaten two of the strongest Avengers.

IMO, Tony plowed ahead just to get it over with, without regard for how they might actually win.

BANNED

And Tony knew that if he failed, Thanos would come straight to earth. Even if he didn't know the details of the Snap plan, he knew from Bruce what Thanos was about. And that he's beaten two of the strongest Avengers.

IMO, Tony plowed ahead just to get it over with, without regard for how they might actually win.
    I think it was pretty clear that Tony knew they didn't have a chance, so he chose the best option when there was nothing but bad ones. Do something unexpected..

Plus, then it gave him an excuse to blame it on Cap when they didn't lose together. Because Tony.

I think after Alfre Woodard, Tony was super-concerned about collateral damage, regardless of their chance of beating the bad guy.

Ultimate Member

But could he actually control the alien ship? I thought he was just bluffing

BANNED

With that AI at his disposal? The only real question is why did he need himself and Spiderman to physically pull levers to land the ship, even with 3/4 of it blown away

I think it was more that Tony's super obsessive and goal focused. His whole 'suit of armor around the world', remember?

We see how that negatively impacted his performance, too. In Infinity War, Tony didn't even try to head back to earth. His plan was to take on Thanos and his army with...Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. Without the guardians, they would have been a smear
    That's true. I don't think Tony's actions were the right course. I can just kinda see why he thought that. Even with all their weapons, Thanos has the biggest army in the galaxy, and Earth doesn't even have interstellar travel yet. I can't really see them winning. Of course, that doesn't mean Tony couldn't have thought of a better option
    Also remember, the only things that Tony knows about Thanos were told to him maybe a few hours ago by Bruce. And we don't even know if Bruce told him that Thanos kicked the Hulk's ass. So he may have thought Thanos's power was in his armies, and that between him, Iron Spider, and Strange, they had a chance of beating him on their own.

Wong and Strange did say their order protected the Time Stone, but Tony has no way of knowing how big that order is. And even then, he really didn't get a chance to see exactly what they were capable of. The fight against the Maw and the big guy was rather short, and Tony spent most of it separated from the Wizards.

And I don't think he had Edith at this point. I feel like Edith was something that maybe he built in those five years between the movies, to protect the Earth in case any other hostile aliens decided to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    With that AI at his disposal? The only real question is why did he need himself and Spiderman to physically pull levers to land the ship, even with 3/4 of it blown away
    He didn't have Friday. Right after he gets on the ship and he's talking to Pepper, he looses the call. Friday tells him something to the effect of "I'm loosing her, Sir. And you're loosing me, too." at which point, her audio fades out and we don't hear from her again. I think the AI his suits interacted with was on an Earth-bound server, and once they were in space he lost connection with it. So while he could still operate his suit, he no longer had the AI feeding him information. That's why he couldn't connect to the ship (even if it could connect to an alien network), and why he and Peter had to try and steer the ship manually.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Also remember, the only things that Tony knows about Thanos were told to him maybe a few hours ago by Bruce. And we don't even know if Bruce told him that Thanos kicked the Hulk's ass. So he may have thought Thanos's power was in his armies, and that between him, Iron Spider, and Strange, they had a chance of beating him on their own.
    He knew that Thanos had the power stone and space stone, and had killed Thor ("Thor's gone.") He had no reason to think that he could stand a chance against Thanos. He really had no reason to think that Thanos would approach alone

He had a guy with the time stone. They could have worked it out

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    He didn't have Friday. Right after he gets on the ship and he's talking to Pepper, he looses the call. Friday tells him something to the effect of "I'm loosing her, Sir. And you're loosing me, too."
    Good point.

Ultimate Member

He knew that Thanos had the power stone and space stone, and had killed Thor ("Thor's gone.") He had no reason to think that he could stand a chance against Thanos. He really had no reason to think that Thanos would approach alone

He had a guy with the time stone. They could have worked it out
    That's true. They could've figured it out with that