Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I'm sick of all these action stories that reflect the world we live in. Why can't we just go back to apolitical stories like John Matrix blowing up the mansion of a CIA-backed Latin American Dictator with a million guns, rocket launchers and garden rakes?
    Marvel Comics has NEVER been just about adventure. If you thought it was, you haven’t been paying attention since about, um, 1961 or so.

Mighty Member

Yeah and with Spellman's comments in the article, Sam is going to explore POC's participation of in the Super Soldier program. Cue flashbacks of them having testing forced on them, that reflects Slavery= bad and white man= bad. I want to see a good enjoyable superhero yarn. You want to preach your cause? Go to the capitol and stand on the steps and state your cause together with your group peacefully. You want to make a movie on those themes? Belongs in a different movie.

Extraordinary Member

Considering how many Americans still have trouble thinking of anyone who ain’t WASP *being* a “real” American, embracing that aspect with Falcon as the guy Steve designated for the job of being the “flag on the chest” hero representing the country.

They filmed most of it before 1/6, but it would be delicious if they wound up correctly placing a show where Sam has to deal with the jingoistic false patriots in all manners, including, yes, race.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Yeah and with Spellman's comments in the article, Sam is going to explore POC's participation of in the Super Soldier program. Cue flashbacks of them having testing forced on them, that reflects Slavery= bad and white man= bad. I want to see a good enjoyable superhero yarn. You want to preach your cause? Go to the capitol and stand on the steps and state your cause together with your group peacefully. You want to make a movie on those themes? Belongs in a different movie.
    Oh wait, are you not clowning? I thought I detected clowning.

BANNED

If you're gonna complain about politics in fiction don't it with a series based on a character created for the purpose of being political.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Runner View Post
    If you're gonna complain about politics in fiction don't it with a series based on a character created for the purpose of being political.
    The one thing Spellman says and I do give him credit for it, is saying he wants both POC and whites to appreciate a black character being heroic. Thank you. Because it seems like at times with people like Ryan Coogler that characters like Black Panther should appeal to only POC not everyone. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the series. I think it'll be good.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I am optimistic they will get the balance right here - we already know that the series is including takes on both the far left with the Flag Snashers and the far right with US Agent’s involvement, with Zemo likely manipulating both sides.. So it’s probably not going to say one side is right and the other wrong. And as a white guy I never have felt like the MCU movies and shows have ever been too preachy with race stuff - Black Panther, Falcon, War Machine, Luke Cage are all ultimately great heroes and role models for everyone above all else.

The one thing Spellman says and I do give him credit for it, is saying he wants both POC and whites to appreciate a black character being heroic. Thank you. Because it seems like at times with people like Ryan Coogler that characters like Black Panther should appeal to only POC not everyone. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the series. I think it'll be good.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Black Panther is one of my favorite Marvel movies- easily in the top 5, if not the top 3- and I'm white.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but Black Panther is one of my favorite Marvel movies- easily in the top 5, if not the top 3- and I'm white.
    Same here. I think it's probably one of the best MCU solo movies and depiction of a title character.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Yeah it's not quite in my top five (Endgame, Ragnarok, Infinity War, Winter Soldier and Civil War) but it's very close and definitely the best initial movie for any MCU character for me.

You aren't misunderstanding. That poster is just race baiting.

Coogler doesn't act like BP s something ONLY for black people to enjoy. Does he think that it would resonate with us differently than people of other races? Sure and for good reason. That doesn't mean others can't appreciate and enjoy it.

The early reviews are pretty good. It has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes the highest since Black Panther

Ultimate Member

I'm always surprised people think anything in the MCU is preachy

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

The early reviews are pretty good. It has 97% on Rotten Tomatoes the highest since Black Panther
    Reviews got me excited. I'm gonna Spoiler tag the rest because it's stuff I heard in reviews

spoilers:
    Apparently Falcon is making ends meet by doing contracts for the government taking out criminals(also following the Sakovia accords). From the reviews I heard Falcons action scenes are insane in this episode. But alot of it is him dealing with his personal life. Also him nd Bucky aren't even together. Falcons being a mercenary for the Government to pay the bills and Bucky is dealing with PTSD and is in therapy. Can't wait till Midnight to watch this.
    end of spoilers

I wouldn't even have responded to that. BP is the biggest Solo CBM of all time because it appealed to everyone not just Black People. BP beat infinty war domestically.