Page 32 of 145 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Nah, It's was like watching someone attempt to tell a very old joke and butcher it. I'm well aware of what they were attempting because almost every comic reader of color and a certain age has made the same observation.

Umm with all due respect what are you talking about. He was walking down the street and the kid said hey its the black falcon. He said where did you get that, and he said his dad calls him the black falcon. You have an issue with this? What?
    Last edited by inisideguy; 03-27-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Uh, did we see the same movies? Comics Buck? You're right.

MCU Buck outran cars. He jumped from heights humans would require mountaineering gear to descend. He absorbed a fall from a balcony leap that would have a shattered humans leg bones (before we even talk about that whole thing where he jumps out of the plane).

He's outside peak human.

They had to dial him, and Black Panther, up to put him on level with MCU Captain America to make CA:TWS and CA:CW work. Essentially, they made Cap 1938 Superman (minus being bulletproof). So Buck and T'Challa had to get tuned up to keep pace.
    Ironically enough, John Walker's the first bona fide Peak Human we have had in the MCU as near as I can tell.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Nah, It's was like watching someone attempt to tell a very old joke and butcher it. I'm well aware of what they were attempting because almost every comic reader of color and a certain age has made the same observation.
    Yea, you completely missed the point of that scene.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Ironically enough, John Walker's the first bona fide Peak Human we have had in the MCU as near as I can tell.

I dont know about that. I mean right now they are basically putting him in the hawkeye, Black widow, Falcon class. Very good shape but not enhanced. I never really got where the heck Caps power level is in the movies. At times he seems peak human and other times he seems superhuman. Same with Winter Soldier. I mean right now he can jump out of a plane hit the ground and barely get hurt. That is way way way above peak human. I think they way they show things is anyone with the Super Soldier serum looks to be maybe half as strong as spider-man? Maybe more? I don't really know. I mean the winter soldier just threw himself out of a plane going 200mph at 1000 feet and got up like nothing. But ahhhhh what the heck I don't think strength or power levels have ever been really consistent in comics either.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 03-27-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Yea, you completely missed the point of that scene.
    Nah, the scene doesn't work. They are trying to say something but just fell flat on their face. Is amusing how defensive everyone is of this scene.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Nah, the scene doesn't work. They are trying to say something but just fell flat on their face. Is amusing how defensive everyone is of this scene.
    The scene does work. The joke is that the kid assumed his name was Black Falcon was because he's black. It helps that that more prominent black superhero in the universe is called Black Panther. Then there's a long history of black superheroes having black in their name. Really, it's not that hard to understand why it was made.

No people just disagree with you, it is fine that YOU don't like but because something didn't work for YOU doesn't mean it didn't work overall.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-27-2021 at 10:49 PM.

The scene does work. The joke is that the kid assumed his name was Black Falcon was because he's black. It helps that that more prominent black superhero in the universe is called Black Panther.
    And the show expects me to believe that black people will get them mixed up? The biggest heroes on Earth, and the only black males are Black Panther and War Machine? The kids recognized Sam in civilian clothes.

Then there's a long history of black superheroes having black in their name. Really, it's not that hard to understand why it was made.
    You just explained why the joke didn't work. There is no long history of black superheroes whose names begin with black in the reality presented in the MCU. It's still too new. That is why I said it was like watching someone try to tell a joke and butcher it. The show tried to wink at us and it's eyeball fell out.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-27-2021 at 10:57 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

You just explained why the joke didn't work. There is no long history of black superheroes whose names begin with black in the reality presented in the MCU. It's still too new. That is why I said it was like watching someone try to tell a joke and butcher it. The show tried to wink at us and it's eyeball fell out.
    They are no comic books in the MCU universe?

Quick question, Since when has anyone called Falcon "Black Falcon"? It felt like the show was trying to make a statement with that scene but Falcon isn't the character to make that statement with.

The most prominent black hero with black in his name is....Black Panther. It felt like the writer chickened out calling out Black Panther and instead just created the "Black Falcon" thing out of thin air, unless it was a diss on Black Lightning.
    He’s the perfect character to make the statement with because he’s an example where the assumption that black superheroes always have “black” in front of their names would be wrong.

The scene does work. The joke is that the kid assumed his name was Black Falcon was because he's black. It helps that that more prominent black superhero in the universe is called Black Panther. Then there's a long history of black superheroes having black in their name. Really, it's not that hard to understand why it was made.
    Plus, there is another function to the scene beyond the joke. Coming as it does right before the introduction of Isaiah Bradley, it foreshadows the message that there are heroes and black heroes, super soldiers and black super soldiers, Captain America and black Captain America. Whether it should or not, in practical terms the adjective makes a difference. Or at least, it has up until now. Maybe Falcon and Black Falcon will be a change.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    i'm not so sure , the power broker was mentioned in the last episode and he was responsible for those super powered terrorists in the comics , both walker and battlestar also underwent the power broker experiments and gained super strength , what's the link of the power broker to these two in this series have yet to be determined.
    Last edited by marshal88; 03-28-2021 at 04:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    I was thinking about the difference in episode 1 and 2. I think that the nuances and character development in the first episode is highlighted and you see why it was needed as a foundation. Bucks line in therapy scene in 2 landed much harder because we saw Bucky struggling and trying to make amends. Him feeling betrayed by Sam giving up the legacy of Steve was given so much weight by what we saw in the first episode.

So far the layered storytelling is really working for me.
    Yeah after that first ep my concern was that they would get too caught up in pathos. But it's good to see they're keeping a good pace.

Spectacular Member

It's a meta-reference to the fact that Sam was the first black comic book hero to NOT have "Black" in his superhero title. Prior to him, every black superhero had "Black" as the first word in their title for no other reason than they are black. Is it really any wonder that DC made Black Lightning's lightning black or Marvel cutting the Black out of Black Goliath.

And the show expects me to believe that black people will get them mixed up? The biggest heroes on Earth, and the only black males are Black Panther and War Machine? The kids recognized Sam in civilian clothes.
    There's nothing mixed up. They assumed he would have black in his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W
    We don't know that definitively. The fictional characters that exist within the MCU, the other heroes that possibility have black in their name we haven't been introduced to yet.