Page 7 of 145 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    A VA loan maybe but I don't know why any bank would give him one. Before the blip we don't know if he had any income. He was on the run for a couple years and before that was a volunteer with the Avengers. Before that he was a counselor. His financial situation it probably a nightmare.

Also as far as going to Pepper. I can only speak for myself, I can't ask people for ****. My pride won't let me do it. A loan from a bank is different then asking someone personally. Especially since Pepper just lost her husband and became a single mother. He probably wouldn't even wanna burden her with the ask. That's assuming he even knows her and if not Rhodey would be the guy. But again I can't ask friends or family for money. My mom was the one exception when I was younger.

I don't want to get to crazy with this. But the dude is well known. He was best friends with the worlds most admired hero. He has saved countless lives, the work he is doing for the gov as the show starts probably pays a good wage. And for cripes sake he is the Falcon he could literally set up a go fund me page for his boat. The guy is a international hero. Going to some risky dink bank just doesnt seem realistic for a guy like this. Sorry.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Flag-Smasher is trying to create a unified nation like they felt the world was closer to during the Blip? Huh. Guess it'll also be a bit before they figure out it was the girl running the operation and is the actual Flag-Smasher...
    I can see the angle the Flag Smashers are going with that. I imagine world being united in their shared grief of losing their loved ones. In the first act of Endgame we saw just how lost everyone were, being opened about their problems and generally trying to pick up each others pieces.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, this was pretty spectacular.

Talk about hitting the ground running, the opening action sequence wouldn't have been out of place in a big budget summer blockbuster.

I am curious about who that new Captain America is. Is that supposed to be John Walker?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I am curious about who that new Captain America is. Is that supposed to be John Walker?
    Yeah, it's John Walker/USAgent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    In the real world, Insurance companies are notoriously good at finding a way out of even paying for things the policies cover.

I imagine a day after the snap, every insurance company just stopped paying out for life insurance and dared the aggrieved to sue them.

On top of that, the people who got blipped are probably considered damn near fraudsters in the eyes of the finance industry "You died and came back. That's cheating!"

So on that level I can see how Sam and his Sister end up in this situation.

In also occurs to me there's probably a great post apocalyptic story about the 5 years after the Snap. Every Government on Earth would have been reeling and struggling to provide even the basics.

It wouldn't have been Road Warrior out there, but I probably was the Mad Max situation almost exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I can see the angle the Flag Smashers are going with that. I imagine world being united in their shared grief of losing their loved ones. In the first act of Endgame we saw just how lost everyone were, being opened about their problems and generally trying to pick up each others pieces.
    Yeah, in a weird way, the problems Sam’s family is having might be used as an example of issues derived from the Blip-Back, rather than from the Blip-Away - companies and agencies likely showed both their better angels and their worst demons during the five year period, and it’s entirely possible that the dissonance of those who came back looking to get back to business might be titling the scales a bit more towards the worst parts.

I’m curious how well they’ll handle both the Flag Smashers and USAgent. I mean, regardless, I feel like the show can’t really be doing it’s job that well if it doesn’t get a few hardcore Trump supporters to whine about it, but there’s a huge latitude they can cover between both groups to create either a more blunt or nuanced message.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yeah, in a weird way, the problems Sam’s family is having might be used as an example of issues derived from the Blip-Back, rather than from the Blip-Away - companies and agencies likely showed both their better angels and their worst demons during the five year period, and it’s entirely possible that the dissonance of those who came back looking to get back to business might be titling the scales a bit more towards the worst parts.

I’m curious how well they’ll handle both the Flag Smashers and USAgent. I mean, regardless, I feel like the show can’t really be doing it’s job that well if it doesn’t get a few hardcore Trump supporters to whine about it, but there’s a huge latitude they can cover between both groups to create either a more blunt or nuanced message.
    I think they should be nuanced without defaulting to a both sides attitude. Sometimes a blunt message is ok, even preferable. As long as it doesn't turn into a 90's PSA

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it's John Walker/USAgent.
    Oh..wow.

That’s interesting.

John Walker is a pretty “right leaning” character in the comics. I hope we get to see that in the series.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Look I know this is a comic book show, and they want to try and throw in some real world issues. But Falcon is a gov employee who just helped save half the universe. I don't think no matter what he would have an issue getting a loan for a boat. They are stretching here a little.
    Think of it this way. The bank doesn't look at this as giving The Falcon a loan. The bank looks at this as a celebrity trying to get his family a loan. That can get sideways real fast real hard. And yeah, there's some odds fanboy behavior might win the day, but I can completely buy what happened in the bank. I can even get The Falcon not getting what his celebrity will or won't buy.

Think of it this way, in the general public mind, The Falcon might be like a really talented college athlete entering private business, with what a bank sees as a flawed plan, and no eight-figure pro contract to support him. I kind of think that's why they had the banker ask him if he played for LSU.

As for the first episode itself, this looks like Feige, et al. have, yet again, pounded another homer. We got a lot of series left to go, with plenty of opportunities for things to get messed up, but this was an outstanding first episode. Awesome action mixed with compellingly complex story.

Did anybody else fall into the trap of assuming Bucky's buddy, credited as Yori, was The Howling Commando Jim Morita? And by the way, spoilers:
    the picture of Yori's son kicked me square in the sensitives. I didn't see it coming, and ... wow ... that hurt!
    end of spoilers

All said, I'm deeply happy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Look I know this is a comic book show, and they want to try and throw in some real world issues. But Falcon is a gov employee who just helped save half the universe. I don't think no matter what he would have an issue getting a loan for a boat. They are stretching here a little.
    Sam was also a wanted criminal for a couple years, can't imagine that's good for the credit rating

Boisterously Confused

Oh..wow.

That’s interesting.

John Walker is a pretty “right leaning” character in the comics. I hope we get to see that in the series.
    I recently reread the issues of Captain America dealing with John Walker back in the late '80s. In letter pages, the editors made it very clear that their whole goal in that story arc was to show people what Captain America would be if they turned him into the kind of take-no-prisoners-victory-over-mercy character that some wanted in the time of Steven Seagal and Bruce Willis action movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I recently reread the issues of Captain America dealing with John Walker back in the late '80s. In letter pages, the editors made it very clear that their whole goal in that story arc was to show people what Captain America would be if they turned him into the kind of take-no-prisoners-victory-over-mercy character that some wanted in the time of Steven Seagal and Bruce Willis action movies.
    I'm glad the MCU heroes haven't been like that so far. I don't miss it

Oh..wow.

That’s interesting.

I think he's going to be conservative in the sense of going along with whatever the government wants even if it means cracking down on civil liberties or fighting a fight that doesn't need to be fought.

Astonishing Member

Oh..wow.

That’s interesting.

Sometimes I stop and think about what it would be like if the MCU had managed to get up and running in the 1990s. Not in terms of actors or effects but in terms of what story material was available. And I realize that we probably would have gotten this character at least by Captain America 3. Bucky would also be a dead teenager. It's all kind of wild to think about.

Honestly, I just hope they don't turn him into a villain. Not because I particularly like Walker, but because it's a really easy direction to take. Especially in a time when so much conservative politics has descended into barely veiled racism, classism and sexism. I mean, like, it would be way too easy to turn this guy into a less powerful version of Homelander. Maybe just make him a lousy Captain America but not really a terrible person.

Ultimate Member

One thing's got me curious.

Sam's wings aren't Wakanda original like they are in the books. He likely has the best wings, but the government has the patent. Why aren't there other Falcon units/soldiers?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Think of it this way. The bank doesn't look at this as giving The Falcon a loan. The bank looks at this as a celebrity trying to get his family a loan. That can get sideways real fast real hard. And yeah, there's some odds fanboy behavior might win the day, but I can completely buy what happened in the bank. I can even get The Falcon not getting what his celebrity will or won't buy.

Think of it this way, in the general public mind, The Falcon might be like a really talented college athlete entering private business, with what a bank sees as a flawed plan, and no eight-figure pro contract to support him. I kind of think that's why they had the banker ask him if he played for LSU.

As for the first episode itself, this looks like Feige, et al. have, yet again, pounded another homer. We got a lot of series left to go, with plenty of opportunities for things to get messed up, but this was an outstanding first episode. Awesome action mixed with compellingly complex story.

Did anybody else fall into the trap of assuming Bucky's buddy, credited as Yori, was The Howling Commando Jim Morita? And by the way, spoilers:
    the picture of Yori's son kicked me square in the sensitives. I didn't see it coming, and ... wow ... that hurt!
    end of spoilers

All said, I'm deeply happy.
    No doubt I loved the episode. Just did not like how they shoe horned this in there. But no biggy.