Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Grant Morrison's The Green Lantern: Finale Coming

In years past, I've blogged about many series with each issue. While I've avidly followed Morrison's GL run, I haven't posted many write-ups along the way, but here is a big one with 26 of the 28 issues behind us and 2 to go.

It's been a little tricky to see exactly where things are going, even while some of the fun and the adventure and the allusions have been very apparent on the face. With two issues to go, I think it's time to savor, and look at the big picture.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2021/02/t...efore-end.html

Interesting read. #12 solicit say that Hal faces Hector. Maybe he will have a deeper connection somehow to things that we saw so far.

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Always a pleasure to read your blog rikdad! Great post.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Oooooo. New Rikdad posts are always a cause for celebration! I look forward to reading your thoughts

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Interesting read. #12 solicit say that Hal faces Hector. Maybe he will have a deeper connection somehow to things that we saw so far.
    Great comment, to the point!

I think Hector Hammond in a Morrison story is going to mean, in a word, psychology. (In two words, "invasive psychology!")

I think you’re spot on about Morrison's disenchantment with the optimism of the superhero genre. I heard he did an AMA on Reddit in which he copped to liking Batman more and understanding Luthor’s hatred of Superman's perfection. While I don't think Morrison's ever going full Moore grump, his writing definitely has a more cynical edge to it these days.

Not that I can blame him, given the last few years...

Fantastic Member

Thanks, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think you’re spot on about Morrison's disenchantment with the optimism of the superhero genre. […] While I don't think Morrison's ever going full Moore grump, his writing definitely has a more cynical edge to it these days.

Not that I can blame him, given the last few years...
    I wonder how Multiversity might have been different, coming out in 2014, than it would have been when the worlds of the 52 were first cameoed back in 2007. I also note that the issues indicating what I cite as disenchantment came out after the middle of The Green Lantern. And there's certainly been a lot the last few years that has had me less eager to read than at any time I can recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    Thanks, folks!

I wonder how Multiversity might have been different, coming out in 2014, than it would have been when the worlds of the 52 were first cameoed back in 2007. I also note that the issues indicating what I cite as disenchantment came out after the middle of The Green Lantern. And there's certainly been a lot the last few years that has had me less eager to read than at any time I can recall.
    I imagine that Morrison's dealings with Hollywood haven't improved his views towards the entertainment industry either...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I imagine that Morrison's dealings with Hollywood haven't improved his views towards the entertainment industry either...
    I haven't followed what's happened on or off the screen. However, I think that it might be a good time to look back at his biggest body of commentary on the industry, Supergods, which was written just before the aforementioned works started to highlight Superdoomsday and The Gentry.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    In years past, I've blogged about many series with each issue. While I've avidly followed Morrison's GL run, I haven't posted many write-ups along the way, but here is a big one with 26 of the 28 issues behind us and 2 to go.

It's been a little tricky to see exactly where things are going, even while some of the fun and the adventure and the allusions have been very apparent on the face. With two issues to go, I think it's time to savor, and look at the big picture.

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2021/02/t...efore-end.html
    thanks rikdad. i appreciate your insight on morrison.

Looks like we got our big villain reveal this week and it connects to like 6, I think, previous issues.

Astonishing Member

Do you actually think there is a thru thread to his entire run? At first I got the feeling that Green Lantern was the best place to tell crazy Morrison-like cosmic stories, but I never got a feel that there was an a to b to c to what he was trying to do to get Hal to Z, more like you remember that time when Hal had some crazy unrelated adventures? Whereas in Johns' run it was reestablish Hal and make Sinestro a vivid complex three dimensional character seemed to be the mission statement.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Looking forward to rereading Morrison's tGL altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Do you actually think there is a thru thread to his entire run?
    Well what else could it be if previous issues are constantly being referenced in new ones?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Do you actually think there is a thru thread to his entire run? At first I got the feeling that Green Lantern was the best place to tell crazy Morrison-like cosmic stories, but I never got a feel that there was an a to b to c to what he was trying to do to get Hal to Z, more like you remember that time when Hal had some crazy unrelated adventures? Whereas in Johns' run it was reestablish Hal and make Sinestro a vivid complex three dimensional character seemed to be the mission statement.
    Morrison has already given us his take on Hal into a tidy package in Final Crisis, where he tried to capture the gist of Hal in far fewer pages than he has to work with here.
    http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2018/01/f...w-part-ii.html

The relationship between that Hal subplot and this run might be like the relationship between Morrison's 1989 Batman story in Legends of the Dark Knight and his run in 2006-2008.
    http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2009/04/w...ack-glove.html

Is there a theme to Morrison's take on Hal? It has to be that Hal never complies with authority. He can't stay in a relationship, stay in a job, follow any bosses' rules.