Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Thanks to you as well. Sorry for double post I don't know how to multi quote and wanted to thank you as well.
    You click on the little "Quotation Mark in the speech bubble with the + sign" that's located at the bottom right corner of every post next to "Reply with quote."(which will turn into a check when you click it) Then click on all the posts you wish to multi-reply to and hit the big reply button when you're ready.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    I have enjoyed Morrison's work in the past, and kept trying his GL run, but keep bouncing off of it. I am not sure if its because each issue seems more like an acid trip, the art style, or even the font choice, but I struggle to find an attachment point for me.

Rikdad, I have enjoyed your Morrison post's (especially Batman RIP), so will read your writeups and try it again.
    I hear you. There's a lot of Morrison's comics that I've enjoyed but felt lost until I read Rikdad's breakdowns of just how complex these books are.

I bounced off Final Crisis when it first came out, but now it's easily my favorite of DC's events. It's got so much greatness there now that all the superfluous nonsense has been stripped away.

Morrison has admitted that Wonder Woman wasn't as well served as she could have been, but it's a great story to re-read again and again.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I hear you. There's a lot of Morrison's comics that I've enjoyed but felt lost until I read Rikdad's breakdowns of just how complex these books are.

I bounced off Final Crisis when it first came out, but now it's easily my favorite of DC's events. It's got so much greatness there now that all the superfluous nonsense has been stripped away.

Morrison has admitted that Wonder Woman wasn't as well served as she could have been, but it's a great story to re-read again and again.
    Morrison has always been great to read once collected.

I cannot even imagine trying to read Final Crisis monthly and trying to keep all of those heady ideas in my mind.

I have been reading they're GL monthly but once this issue is out I am going to read Season 1 & 2 back to back (and the 3 issue mini).

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Morrison has always been great to read once collected.

I cannot even imagine trying to read Final Crisis monthly and trying to keep all of those heady ideas in my mind.

I have been reading they're GL monthly but once this issue is out I am going to read Season 1 & 2 back to back (and the 3 issue mini).
    I'll be doing the same thing. I re-read the first half of Season One with a student and it was a blast. I also gave Blackstars a re-read and it was equally fun. Morrison's roasting of the modern DCU spared no one

I bounced off Final Crisis when it first came out, but now it's easily my favorite of DC's events.
    Same here. When it came out monthly I was relatively new to the DC comics and was overwhelmed by what was going on, I think I didn't even finish it back then. But I revisited it 5 or so years later and lots of things started clicking, then did some additional reading for some bits that didn't click and it felt like a big puzzle that I finally "solved".

Funny enough on my first read I thought that religion of crime was more interesting stuff and should have been the focus instead of what Morrison was doing. Now, when I look back on Rucka's work I find it... not good. But I'm probably in minority on that.

Fantastic Member

Morrison's GL run has a huge cast of characters. In comparison, his original Batman run had a much smaller cast, but it was a mystery, and a very strange kind of mystery in multiple ways and was designed not to be understood as it was going on… and even a bit after. This GL run just has so many bad guys in it that it leaves one wondering how they rank and how (if at all) some of them interrelate. I myself, read the issues and enjoyed them as they came out, but didn't pore every issue with a magnifying glass at the time, which is why it was only this month that I noticed the detail about the ink colors and "Lah" being Hal spelled backwards. Now I'm very much looking forward to reading the finale but I'm not sure that the details of the plot will be the most important thing about the ride… I just expect some wild psychological fireworks, some moments of Hal being inspirational, and a message about where comics are going… though I think that with Morrison perhaps really retiring from this sort of comics, we might get some added bold surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Same here. When it came out monthly I was relatively new to the DC comics and was overwhelmed by what was going on, I think I didn't even finish it back then. But I revisited it 5 or so years later and lots of things started clicking, then did some additional reading for some bits that didn't click and it felt like a big puzzle that I finally "solved".

Funny enough on my first read I thought that religion of crime was more interesting stuff and should have been the focus instead of what Morrison was doing. Now, when I look back on Rucka's work I find it... not good. But I'm probably in minority on that.
    I'm with you on Rucka. That last "Lois Lane" maxi-series guest-starring Lois Lane was the final straw for me on his shtick, but I've heard good things about his Netflix movie.

As for Final Crisis, the re-edit done for the New Edition is the best way to read that story to me now. It strips away what didn't need to be there and lets the story sing much better. It's telling that the European editions of Seven Soldiers explicitly label those books as the true "Countdown to Final Crisis"

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    Morrison's GL run has a huge cast of characters. In comparison, his original Batman run had a much smaller cast, but it was a mystery, and a very strange kind of mystery in multiple ways and was designed not to be understood as it was going on… and even a bit after. This GL run just has so many bad guys in it that it leaves one wondering how they rank and how (if at all) some of them interrelate. I myself, read the issues and enjoyed them as they came out, but didn't pore every issue with a magnifying glass at the time, which is why it was only this month that I noticed the detail about the ink colors and "Lah" being Hal spelled backwards. Now I'm very much looking forward to reading the finale but I'm not sure that the details of the plot will be the most important thing about the ride… I just expect some wild psychological fireworks, some moments of Hal being inspirational, and a message about where comics are going… though I think that with Morrison perhaps really retiring from this sort of comics, we might get some added bold surprises.
    This finale is something I am literally counting the hours until I get the chance to dive into. I think both Morrison and Sharp are going to leave it all on the field.

As for Final Crisis, the re-edit done for the New Edition is the best way to read that story to me now. It strips away what didn't need to be there and lets the story sing much better. It's telling that the European editions of Seven Soldiers explicitly label those books as the true "Countdown to Final Crisis"
    People often say how Final Crisis is actually a sequel to Seven Soldiers and I'm not sure how I really feel about that. Yes, Mister Miracle mini is definitely a prelude to Final Crisis, but that is 4 issues out of 30. Is that enough for Final Crisis to count as a sequel?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    People often say how Final Crisis is actually a sequel to Seven Soldiers and I'm not sure how I really feel about that. Yes, Mister Miracle mini is definitely a prelude to Final Crisis, but that is 4 issues out of 30. Is that enough for Final Crisis to count as a sequel?
    I agree, but I think there's enough thematic overlap that this feels more like Countdown to Final Crisis than the actual Countdown to Final Crisis ever did.

I agree, but I think there's enough thematic overlap that this feels more like Countdown to Final Crisis than the actual Countdown to Final Crisis ever did.
    You beat me to it, thematically they fit but not a strait up sequel.

Morrison likes to play with similar ideas throughout their writing is very similar to Hickman (ie repeating motifs and themes)

Ohhhh goodie, now I can finally read and finish whole run in one sitting. I was avoiding it, until GMo put it to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Morrison likes to play with similar ideas throughout their writing is very similar to Hickman (ie repeating motifs and themes)
    I wholeheartedly agree, although I would say that Morrison's writing is more emotionally intelligent than Hickman's. Also Hickie has a clear cut plan on how his run will end, while Morrison is more improvisational wizard that writes as they go along, they shift and change and grow, which is a quality I love about them.
    Last edited by zvrk; 03-09-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zvrk View Post
    Ohhhh goodie, now I can finally read and finish whole run in one sitting. I was avoiding it, until GMo put it to rest.

I wholeheartedly agree, although I would say that Morrison's writing is more emotionally intelligent than Hickman's. Also Hickman has a clear cut plan on how his run will end, while Morrison is more improvisational wizard that writes as they go along, they shift and change and grow, which is a quality I love about them.
    I never thought about Morrison's emotionality, but totally!

I love Hickman because of his clear cut plan, but you're totally right, in that, he writes characters that tend to be emotionally distant or cold.

Theme of "ruining characters" is made very clear here with two of Hal's sidekicks getting "modernized".

And I guess we are all participating in Ultra War, but do we have enough love and willpower to end it?

Incredible Member

I know there's a lot of cynicism and criticism on Morrison's last stories, but I couldn't stop smiling after seeing this:

Attachment 107046

I'm also happy because I finally got SEASON TWO #5, it was the only issue I couldn't buy here in Mexico on my LCS and I had to order from London.