Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Are these baddies meant to be the same ones from Seven Soldiers? They sure seem similar
    I have no idea what Seven Soldiers is. But I gather Morrison wrote it. Is there anything about it that's been referenced by The Green Lantern?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I just try to use the name all the time.
    I have been trying and failing to do the same and I keep slipping up. One of these days, it’s gonna stick

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I have no idea what Seven Soldiers is. But I gather Morrison wrote it. Is there anything about it that's been referenced by The Green Lantern?
    Seven Soldiers was a massive interconnected collection of series that Morrison did that served as a pseudo prequel to Final Crisis. The villains, the Sheeda, were an empire of conquerors who plundered the past civilizations to feed themselves

Main difference was that Sheeda were exclusively Earth threat and "lived" one billion years (or something like that) in the future. While these guys are supposedly ancient and operating on much bigger scale. Thou you probably could easily connect one to another with Sheeda, after Seven Soldiers, travelling back to the birth of universe and becoming older than Guardians.

Astonishing Member

Seven Soldiers was a massive interconnected collection of series that Morrison did that served as a pseudo prequel to Final Crisis. The villains, the Sheeda, were an empire of conquerors who plundered the past civilizations to feed themselves
    Funny how that missed my radar. I should have paid attention then. Sounds interesting enough.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Funny how that missed my radar. I should have paid attention then. Sounds interesting enough.
    It was a lot of fun. Some were more successful than others, but they are all worth a read. Mister Miracle got nerfed when its artist left in the middle of the run, but the rest were all great pairings of Morrison with top tier talents

Fantastic Member

When two elements in a Morrison story (or anyone's story, for that matter) seem closely aligned, they may be related, or he may be riffing on a theme.

For example, Hector Hammond tells Hal that "they" have a plan to trap Hal, and "they" invited Hector to participate.

This is similar to the role that the Joker played in Batman, R.I.P.

Similar dynamic, but this certainly isn't a Black Glove story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post
    When two elements in a Morrison story (or anyone's story, for that matter) seem closely aligned, they may be related, or he may be riffing on a theme.

For example, Hector Hammond tells Hal that "they" have a plan to trap Hal, and "they" invited Hector to participate.

It's a trope, and a classic. When Killer Croc debuted? He invited "All My Enemies Against Me" to witness his ultimate victory. When Ra's al Ghul returned, he broke out all of Gotham's villains from prison, during "Resurrection Night". When Bane debuted, he broke out all of Arkham Asylum creating a boss-gauntlet. People are always forming Superman Revenge Squads (although in Morrison's Action, at least, it was a Revenge Squad made of all new villains.)
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rikdad View Post

I am not sure yet. I think Morrison could easily connect the two or simply leave them as thematically linked elements of Morrison's DCU "oeuvre"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That's how I saw it too. And Morrison is too specific a creator to repeat themself (themselves?) twice without it being deliberate.

Serious question here: Is anyone else's old nerd brain constantly %*$&ing up and referring to Morrison as he/him? It's a constant battle for me to not slip up and I don't even know if Morrison cares. Has he given a preference for pronouns?
    Like HsssH, I try to refer to them by name as much as possible to remind myself "he/him" is no longer accurate. It's a helpful tool to acclimate to the change after decades of being used to masculine pronouns to refer to Grant by.

Just read the most recent interview with Liam Sharp. He refers to Morrison only as a he. I guess I am good company in forgetting or Morrison doesn't have a preference.

Has Morrison discussed this at all?

By the way, I think Morrison is the only writer who has hinted at Hal's pansexual nature. I wonder if the final issue will comment any more on that one.

Hal hooking up with anything anywhere as long as it looks good in lipstick has been an undercurrent of Hal Jordan for a long time. I think only Morrison could have pulled off dancing that close to the line without giving the more traditionalist fans a fit of fanboy rage

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Just read the most recent interview with Liam Sharp. He refers to Morrison only as a he. I guess I am good company in forgetting or Morrison doesn't have a preference.

Has Morrison discussed this at all?

By the way, I think Morrison is the only writer who has hinted at Hal's pansexual nature. I wonder if the final issue will comment any more on that one.

Hal hooking up with anything anywhere as long as it looks good in lipstick has been an undercurrent of Hal Jordan for a long time. I think only Morrison could have pulled off dancing that close to the line without giving the more traditionalist fans a fit of fanboy rage
    That's why I love them (best to use them I guess till Grant clarifies what their pronouns are?), lol.

Also, that weird Bronze Age story with Hal's truck breaking down kind of already hinted at this.
    Last edited by Mutatis_Mutandis; 02-14-2021 at 08:13 AM.

Fantastic Member

Here are my thoughts on the run after TGL Season Two #11… It was a great issue and the sense of impending climax is palpable. This feels like the excitement of the last two issues of Batman, R.I.P. are upon us again. The issue opened up so many connections to the whole run, I gave it one more read, and found some things that had slipped past me before, like what is the significance of Magenta, Yellow, Azure, and Black judges back in issue #4 and who or what is… Lah? My answers here:

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2021/03/t...t-chapter.html

BANNED

I wish they had kept the colorist from Season One,
    not to downplay Liam Sharp in anyway, but the new coloring without inking really miss out on a lot of details on Sharp's penciling.

Interesting read and good catch on the four colours. It is just another evidence that Morrison, to say the least, is not happy about comics. Thou I wonder about digs at Snyder. Does Morrison dislike his work in particular or is it just an unlucky coincidence due to him doing big event storylines in last few years?