Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Should Genis Vell return........as a villain?

I think he should.

For those that followed Genis before, you’re aware his last years alive were wonky.

His own book had him go crazy from cosmic awareness and he was like a villain protagonist with Rick Jones trying to reign him in.

Then he was on Thunderbolts and Zemo used him and killed him off.

Lots of stuff I glossing over, like him killing his future baby son with Songbird, and having a bastard child with a Shi’Ar spy.

Anyway. With his ties to Carol Danvers, Phyla, Hulkling, and the planet Titan.

I think he’d make a great villain for Captain Marvel, GotG and Eternals.

Like that trope of former hero turned bad, that other heroes (or siblings) have to now fight.

If any Marvel character should go the “Hal Jordan” route it would be Genis.
    And this is coming from a reader who read his comic.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 02-08-2021 at 10:52 AM.

I'm sure there would be fan rebellion.

I hate Genis for the way that writers rather violently replaced him as "captain marvel" over Monica Rambeau; then "politely" did it again under the Photon name years later.

I'm not interested in seeing him return with the Rick Jones changing dynamic. I'm done with him. I can't keep up with all the secret kids that Mar-Vell had at this point. Genis, Phyla, Hulkling..anyone else?

Should Genis Vell return........as a villain?
    I’d hate for that to happen.

Genis was a nice guy and a good hero.
    What he needs is a redemption arc, not more expletive deleted piled on top of all the expletive deleted he’s already buried under.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'm sure there would be fan rebellion.

I hate Genis for the way that writers rather violently replaced him as "captain marvel" over Monica Rambeau; then "politely" did it again under the Photon name years later.

I'm not interested in seeing him return with the Rick Jones changing dynamic. I'm done with him. I can't keep up with all the secret kids that Mar-Vell had at this point. Genis, Phyla, Hulkling..anyone else?
    That’s it. But like I said Genis had a bastard child with Shi’Ar out there. So we’re on grandkids now.

No. Genis was a great hero, and that shoulde be how he returned. Anything else would be just further sacrificing him on the altar of Carol Danvers.

Peace

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I can't keep up with all the secret kids that Mar-Vell had at this point. Genis, Phyla, Hulkling..anyone else?
    Well let's be fair to Mar-Vell. He didn't actually father Genis OR Phyla.

BANNED

I wouldn't like it.
    He already had a villain run

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That’s it. But like I said Genis had a bastard child with Shi’Ar out there. So we’re on grandkids now.
    To be fair, we don't know if that happened again after he rebooted the universe

I would like to see Genis back. He and Phyla were great characters, and writers seem to afraid of ruining Teddy that he's usually just...there. He's like a 40 degree day. So if Mar-Vell is supposed to be some great remembered hero, it'd be nice to see someone who's influenced by that.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I thought "dead" was the perfect role for him. I'm not one to deprive the universe of that virtuoso performance.

genis is bad and redundant with like 5 mar-vell inspired heroes and his only value is as a villain
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    If any Marvel character should go the “Hal Jordan” route it would be Genis.
    While I don't want him to be a villain, he was kind of made one with the universe, by being simul-ported across space and time, which, combined with his cosmic awareness, made me think he was kind of fusing with Eternity. And then, they killed Eternity, for some event, and my initial thought was to go exactly Hal Jordan with him, not the boring Parallax crap, but the more intriguing Hal-Jordan-as-the-Spectre aspect.

Genis-Vell becomes Eternity, for the new 8th iteration of the universe.

Fantastic Member

Nah. Bring him back as a hero or leave him dead. The whole "mentally unstable equals too dangerous to live" trope is frankly insulting to a lifelong sufferer.

BANNED

Probably shouldn’t have much of a opinion on this given I never really followed Genis and have yet to read anything with him prominently focused but I definitely from the stuff I’ve heard definitely think he’d be a amazing antagonist from a power standpoint.

1.) For the Guardians of the Galaxy and Phylla in the comics

2.) For Captain Marvel in the MCU

BANNED

I think Genis Vell should join the Abstracts, you know, the Seven Friendless.
    Him becoming a Spectre-ish character could work, showing up once in a while to clean up the mess.
    We don't have Eon in Captain Marvel mythos anymore right now and we don't have a Quasar run.
    So we can really assign all generations of Captain Marvel to different roles,
    Mar-Vell being dead, Monica being Photon, Carol being Captain Marvel, so Genis being an Eon type of support character could work.

Incredible Member

I loved both the Peter David written series that starred the character. Should he ever return I think he should be more complex than just strictly being a hero or villain. He should mostly work for the greater good but due to the cosmic awareness he should sometimes overlook the people involved. Someone like Rick Jones and/or Songbird should be the ones to act as something of a moral to keep him straight. Someone like Al Ewing would do great stuff with him.

Does anyone think that the running gag of him taking Monica's code name should continue? Obviously he can't be Captain Marvel and Photon sounds kinda bland. Maybe he should not have a superhero handle and just go by Genis.
    Last edited by Orbus; 02-08-2021 at 05:33 PM.