Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Do you think the CW shows have done more good or harm?

After seeing trailers everywhere for the new Superman and Lois show, I’ve found myself asking whether the CW shows do more harm than good? Obviously they bring a spotlight to the characters we love but I wonder if they stand in the way of those characters getting adapted in higher quality media (movies or streaming). I figured that after COIE that the shows would start coming to a natural end and we would see DC TV move over almost exclusively to HBO Max. What do you all think?

I don't watch any of the shows but Black Lightning for example is a character that probably needed that CW tv show.

They do more good than anything, independent of the of the quality of their product.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I think it’s done a lot of good, because I personally believe it did a lot more for dc characters and media then the movies did. It naturally build up its own universe of characters and created enjoyable storylines and crossover events that the movies are failing to even get to because of poor planning or actor issues. I mean come on, they got to crisis on infinite earths long before we will ever see it in a movie, and let’s not forget actual movie actors and special guests from dc tv and movie history actually showed up for it.

And sure shows like arrow have ended and black lighting and supergirl are coming to an end, but we are seeing a continued growth in shows like Stargirl, Superman & Lois, and the Yara Flor show. Heck Superman & Lois has me actually excited for a live action Superman property, something I haven’t felt in years. So yeah I would argue the CW shows are doing good
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

They've done a lot of good. I've seen people criticize the Flash TV show for relying too much on the Speed Force and time travel shenanigans, but the comics have been doing that for years.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Unquestionably more good than bad.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

As flawed as they can be, they’re pretty much the only major non comic DC product that lets the general audience know there’s stuff beyond Batman. Flash and Green Arrow have gotten huge boosts in popularity on account of them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Definitely more good. When the DC cinematic universe was at its lowest point The Flash was considered the best superhero tv show, so that really helped keep the DC brand afloat.

I'd say it's a mixed bag.

Sinful

Didn't Green Arrow get the show because they cancelled the plans for that Supermax movie?

Most of the people used in these shows were never going to get a movie to begin with, so I don't really think it's "holding them back."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

CW quality is garbage tier
    Really I only ever watch for the crossovers and since that's being phased out there's no reason to watch as much
    The fact that they churn out so many shows on the cheap is making WB/DC aware that these properties do not command a higher budget and that is not a good thing. We won't get shows like Watchmen with other DC characters as long as this attitude is prevalent
    Notice all the shows getting cancelled too early are because they cost too much

Black Lightning is the best show the CW has produced out of all the DC properties and that's pretty much because its filmed in GA and does its own thing

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Didn't Green Arrow get the show because they cancelled the plans for that Supermax movie?

Most of the people used in these shows were never going to get a movie to begin with, so I don't really think it's "holding them back."
    I think that was DEFINITELY the case when these shows started. Now I guess I just question when new shows like Wonder Girl or Naomi are announced for the CW when they could easily get more money and care on streaming. I do appreciate all these insights though, I dropped the CW shows a while ago because they never lived up to my expectations or the source material.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

At least DC doesn't try to bend the comics to match the shows/movies like Marvel does. That's just dumb.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think that was DEFINITELY the case when these shows started. Now I guess I just question when new shows like Wonder Girl or Naomi are announced for the CW when they could easily get more money and care on streaming. I do appreciate all these insights though, I dropped the CW shows a while ago because they never lived up to my expectations or the source material.
    The CW shows going forward will end up on HBO Max, and because of that, they get a higher budget. They’re basically co-produced by the CW and HBO, it’s why Superman & Lois and Stargirl look so much higher budget than the other CW shows.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/