Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    After seeing trailers everywhere for the new Superman and Lois show, I’ve found myself asking whether the CW shows do more harm than good? Obviously they bring a spotlight to the characters we love but I wonder if they stand in the way of those characters getting adapted in higher quality media (movies or streaming). I figured that after COIE that the shows would start coming to a natural end and we would see DC TV move over almost exclusively to HBO Max. What do you all think?
    I don't know if there's ever been a case where a movie or streaming, etc ever had a situation where they decided they can't use X character or X story because the CW is already using them. Usually the other way around. Hell the initial successes of Arrow and Flash are a big reason why superhero tv blew up the way they did, those big streaming shows like Daredevil and Doom Patrol didn't happen until after, I remember when Arrow, Flash and AOS were the only marvel/dc shows. Now the genre ie like cop shows, theres so many you can't keep track. Maybe it would have happened sooner or later with or without the Arrowverse but if those shows fell on their faces it probably would have set the genre back years and years instead of jumpstart it into what it is now. I mean don't get me wrong these shows are inconstistant quality wise at best but clearly a definite and big net win for the genre and dc. Plus they built the closest thing to a functional shared universe in live action that we've gotten so far. I don't know if we'll ever get that in a satisfying way on the big screen.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 02-09-2021 at 10:37 AM.

More good than bad, and I’m glad that seems to be the consensus.

The CW shows have their problems and are far from perfect, but they've done a good job of showcasing characters the comics have underutilized or forgotten about and delivering solid, seralized, Superhero storytelling week-to-week.

I mean, The Flash has done more with Vibe than DC has done in a decade.

BANNED

At the beginning of the Arrowverse - more good than bad.
    Right now - more bad than good.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The CW shows have their problems and are far from perfect, but they've done a good job of showcasing characters the comics have underutilized or forgotten about and delivering solid, seralized, Superhero storytelling week-to-week.

I mean, The Flash has done more with Vibe than DC has done in a decade.
    Exactly, Frontier. Even a train wreck like Batwoman or whatever LoT is now have had more positives than negatives for DC, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Apart from Black Canary, they've done a pretty good job at getting the characters to a brand new audience. The shows arent the greatest but they dont really harm the overall product.

You're getting a Superman TV show precisely because the character's post-80s (arguably even early 80s) history on film has been so spotty that the studio isn't doing anything with him right now. It's not preventing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd say it's a mixed bag.

Yeah, but leaning more towards good than bad. Like 60/40

If it was more good, the ratings would be more consistent, but they are not. I really good show usually increases its audience.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    You're getting a Superman TV show precisely because the character's post-80s (arguably even early 80s) history on film has been so spotty that the studio isn't doing anything with him right now. It's not preventing anything.
    Right. It's not like the CW is stealing these characters from WB so they can't use them in a movie. At the present time, they have been judged (even Supes ) not ready for prime time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    As flawed as they can be, they’re pretty much the only major non comic DC product that lets the general audience know there’s stuff beyond Batman. Flash and Green Arrow have gotten huge boosts in popularity on account of them.
    The PUBLIC knows that. They have always KNOWN that. The issue has been DC not WILLING to accept that there is interest in DC beyond Batman.

If using comic book sales is the only barometer someone wants to go by-you will will end up losing. When you stop pandering to one little group-you get variety.

The tv side is telling the comic and book side-you don't have any excuses in who gets used.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Yeah, but leaning more towards good than bad. Like 60/40

If it was more good, the ratings would be more consistent, but they are not. I really good show usually increases its audience.
    I think there's probably a lot of factors that go into that.

I'm not understanding what harm they could've caused. I will always be grateful to the CW for giving BL a TV show but he barely gets any love comics side.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I think people forget CW was the bridge between Smallville and basically all the content we have on streaming right now.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Apart from Black Canary, they've done a pretty good job at getting the characters to a brand new audience. The shows arent the greatest but they dont really harm the overall product.
    I disagree Batwoman has garnered a severe hatedom that her comics counterpart never had to deal with before

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there's probably a lot of factors that go into that.
    Like what?

The PUBLIC knows that. They have always KNOWN that. The issue has been DC not WILLING to accept that there is interest in DC beyond Batman.
    DC and WB still haven't realized Aquaman has a 1 billion movie. What are they doing with him? I have seen Zero merch for him or Mera. Give audiences great shows and movies and they come. DC are just lazy and don't try enough out of the comfort zone.

And regarding Superman, yeah, WB still don't know what they want to do with the character in the movies (or maybe are waiting to see how the Snyder cut performs before making big decisions), and this is why we are getting the new show. I don't mind a show as long as it's GOOD. But if WB decide to do a new film, it doesn't matter if there is a TV show, they might end it sooner or put restrictions on it like they do sometimes, like with Smallville and Returns and Supergirl and the DCEU.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-09-2021 at 01:25 PM.