Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Since movies are condensed, I think the liberties they take are smaller and more easily explained. There's less an audience would be attached to that theyd have to emotionally amputate while reading a celebrated run.

At times, but someone who likes MOS or TDK can be given runs where 90% of the elements in the film are present in the story. Arrow and Flash have extended casts with significantly altered relationship dynamics. It's not impossible, just a harder sell IMO. My girlfriend has a hard enough time already looking at a blond Barry on the page and conceptualizing him as the same guy.
    Oh yeah I know what you mean when it comes to that, comics Barry looks more like Eddie than he does Grant. I don't know why the modern adaptations of him look more like Peter Parker than they do Barry.

Last edited by 9th.; 02-09-2021 at 08:17 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Since movies are condensed, I think the liberties they take are smaller and more easily explained. There's less an audience would be attached to that theyd have to emotionally amputate while reading a celebrated run.

At times, but someone who likes MOS or TDK can be given runs where 90% of the elements in the film are present in the story. Arrow and Flash have extended casts with significantly altered relationship dynamics. It's not impossible, just a harder sell IMO. My girlfriend has a hard enough time already looking at a blond Barry on the page and conceptualizing him as the same guy.
    Even with that in mind I'd say the core of the franchises are still intact.

It's still about a redemptive archer fighting crime and trying to improve his city and a forensic scientist with superspeed fighting Supervillains.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I really wish we got more animation, there are some shows coming but it's not nearly enough. The superhero boom happened and it's almost all live action.
    Me to. I would love to see a Justice League Dark animated series released on a weekly basis, or Green Arrow in the vain of the DC Showcase episode....sigh if only.

The quality of many episodes and sometimes seasons are, well, crap. Superman is getting a show because his movie career is over (and to add salt to the wound they're going the Superdad route I do not care for, basically killing whatever excitement I could have had for this). It's very different from the comics, often more so than even the movies, often for no good reason.

But is any of this causing more harm than good? No. I mean, I'd argue it largely isn't causing a tenth of the good some fans here think it does, but certainly even by that standard it's still not causing harm.

I would say good.
    The shows remind writers that a story requires more than just one costumed character punching another in a vacuum ad infinitum.
    They need supporting characters and human drama for readers to relate to them and give the stories context.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post

Black Lightning is the best show the CW has produced out of all the DC properties and that's pretty much because its filmed in GA and does its own thing
    What's so great about Black Lightning? I'm almost done with season 1 but it feels like 80% talking and 20% story progression/action. And the dialogue isn't written that well either.

Legends of Tomorrow is by far the best DC show on there. It's the only show that does whatever it wants every episode without being locked down by "superhero tropes".

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    What's so great about Black Lightning? I'm almost done with season 1 but it feels like 80% talking and 20% story progression/action. And the dialogue isn't written that well either.

Legends of Tomorrow is by far the best DC show on there. It's the only show that does whatever it wants every episode without being locked down by "superhero tropes".
    Do have favorite episodes (no time to watch the whole show)? I'm curious about Jonah Hex and Constantine.

What do you guys think about Gotham?
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 02-10-2021 at 12:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    There's three main reasons for that:
    • People being homophobic.
    • People thinking it's preventing a Batman TV show.
    • People not liking that they created a new Batwoman from scratch (Ryan Wilder didn't exist in the comics until she cameoed in Batgirl #50) when Ruby Rose quit her role as Kate Kane after only one season.
    A really big reason were they trailers.

Sorry but if they intentionally put stuff in trailers that is going to be controversial, they have to live with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    A really big reason were they trailers.

Sorry but if they intentionally put stuff in trailers that is going to be controversial, they have to live with the consequences.
    What was controversial about those trailers?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Probably her being gay. I remember newspapers from 2007 with that as a Headline. It seems we haven't come far since then.

I would like to know as well but knowing internet comic book fans it's probably something really small.
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Oh wait, yeah I remember this. The woman comments rubbed people the wrong way

I just found it corny, not rage inducing kinda like Supergirl.

Extraordinary Member

Mostly this line.

Sorry but if you make a trailer to provoke a certain reaction from certain people, you shouldn't be surprised if you get it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Probably her being gay. I remember newspapers from 2007 with that as a Headline. It seems we haven't come far since then.
    On the other hand no one seems to have a big problem with Legends of Tomorrow or the Harley Quinn Show.

The only other show that get similar levels of hate Super Girl, and that also only started when the show got more political.

I'm not a fan of every creative decision they've made and I wish the shows were better quality both writing and production wise but overall, I think they've been good for DC as a whole. They gave us a shared DCU on screen not hinged on Batman and kept the DC brand alive in multi media in a time where the DCEU had devolved into a cluster fuck while we are lucky if the TPTB green lit a non Batman-lead animated project.